Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is a cop out if I ever saw one.
Cop out? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
It seems if one doesn't engage in emotional, gut reaction outbursts calling for everyone's heads in the State College area, we support child rapists and molestation. Yet, we are the ones with "issues" who need to "get help".
Obviously there are some in State College who do need help, but NOWHERE am I painting with a broad brush like you are trying to allege.

Gut reaction?

Saw plenty of that from the JoePa cultists on TV earlier this year.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
I would also caution those superior-to-football people on this thread to realize that there are pedophiles in every subset of society. You give me a group of people, you've got at least one pedophile and probably one ready to cover for him. To blame the institution of football is just...baffling to me.
Most people, other than complete religious fanatics, want to bury the Catholic church over their covering for pedophiles. They seem to have no problem with the fact that the Catholic church has had its pants sued off (rightfully so), yet make excuses when it comes to their chosen religious cult, Penn State football. And Penn State handled this pretty much exactly how the Catholic church handled its coverups....and both for the same reasons: money, power, and maintaining a "holier than thou" image. Penn State and its fans used to place themselves on a pedestal compared to other college football programs and their issues with recruiting violations, players involved in petty crimes, etc. All the while, Penn State swept the most heinous crimes possible under the rug. That is why Penn State and Paterno are receiving so much attention and backlash, because Paterno was always made out to be a saint and Penn State was always touted as a program that did things "the right way." Hypocrisy tends to attract attention.

Also, I have noticed that Northeast and Central PA seems to be alone as a place full of Paterno/Penn State apologists. Most of the rest of the nation, outside of the PSU football cult's home turf, are rightfully slamming them. I also find it funny that most of the Paterno apologists aren't even Penn State students or alumni. They're mostly uneducated local yokels obsessed with college football for whatever reason. I'm a Penn State alumni and I find Paterno to be a lowlife, along with everyone else that knew about this and looked the other way. But the fact remains that Paterno had more power than anyone at Penn State and could have put a stop to this. If he had done something about it and put a stop to Sandusky back in 1998, then he would rightfully be put on a pedestal. But he took the low road and chose to protect money and football over children. I'll bet the storyline would have been different if Sandusky molested Joe's grandson.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 07-16-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Most people, other than complete religious fanatics, want to bury the Catholic church over their covering for pedophiles. They seem to have no problem with the fact that the Catholic church has had its pants sued off (rightfully so), yet make excuses when it comes to their chosen religious cult, Penn State football. And Penn State handled this pretty much exactly how the Catholic church handled its coverups....and both for the same reasons: money, power, and maintaining a "holier than thou" image. Penn State and its fans used to place themselves on a pedestal compared to other college football programs and their issues with recruiting violations, players involved in petty crimes, etc. All the while, Penn State swept the most heinous crimes possible under the rug. That is why Penn State and Paterno are receiving so much attention and backlash, because Paterno was always made out to be a saint and Penn State was always touted as a program that did things "the right way." Hypocrisy tends to attract attention.

Also, I have noticed that Northeast and Central PA seems to be alone as a place full of Paterno/Penn State apologists. Most of the rest of the nation, outside of the PSU football cult's home turf, are rightfully slamming them. I also find it funny that most of the Paterno apologists aren't even Penn State students or alumni. They're mostly uneducated local yokels obsessed with college football for whatever reason. I'm a Penn State alumni and I find Paterno to be a lowlife, along with everyone else that knew about this and looked the other way. But the fact remains that Paterno had more power than anyone at Penn State and could have put a stop to this. If he had done something about it and put a stop to Sandusky back in 1998, then he would rightfully be put on a pedestal. But he took the low road and chose to protect money and football over children. I'll bet the storyline would have been different if Sandusky molested Joe's grandson.
Great post! Re: the bold-I talked with my bro in Pittsburgh yesterday, and they are not so supportive (according to him).

Here is an interesting article that touches on Penn State's academics:
Howard Fineman: Penn State's Rep Proves to Be False Triumph of Paterno Marketing

Here is an editorial from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
Cook: Penn State, tear down that Paterno statue - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Great post! Re: the bold-I talked with my bro in Pittsburgh yesterday, and they are not so supportive (according to him).

Here is an interesting article that touches on Penn State's academics:
Howard Fineman: Penn State's Rep Proves to Be False Triumph of Paterno Marketing

Here is an editorial from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
Cook: Penn State, tear down that Paterno statue - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Same with Philadelphia. I listen to a lot of Philly sports radio and read the Philly papers, and they are mostly ripping Penn State, Paterno, and the football culture. The polls on Philadelphia area sites asking whether or not the statue should come down are overwhelmingly in favor of ripping it down. The Scranton Times-Tribune ran a similar poll, and a majority answered that not only should they keep the statue up, they should also rename the stadium after Paterno. And I am fairly certain there are more Penn State alumni in the Philly area than in NE PA. Which goes back to my point that the uneducated are more likely to support Penn State and Paterno than college graduates.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
To most of the people *I* know, it is just a game. Maybe you and Mr Yuk should seek new social circles if the people you hang with are so into the game.

my friends r not pro football so stop making generalizations about posters--i don't---just listen to the locals here go on and on----btw--i'm too old to "hang"

Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Freeh Report: Joe Paterno exposed as Penn State's Cowardly Lion - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

An informative insight into the football culture and the PSU mafia:

The woman who stood up to Joe Paterno - CNN.com

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post

I am certainly not a Paterno apologist or football fanatic.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I am certainly not a Paterno apologist or football fanatic.
Well, then I'm not sure why you're arguing in favor of Paterno/Penn State, other than playing devil's advocate for the sake of the argument. You're not sickened by the way the whole "culture of football" trumped the welfare of children, as a parent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania