Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM

50 posts, read 104,754 times

Advertisements

Hope this isn't too late. Check out Richland Township just outside Johnstown and "up the hill" from Johnstown. Richland Township has a large business property tax base with the mall, industrial park, etc. The Richland school district is very good. The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown is located in Richland. The Johnstown area with its small towns and scenic hills is a great place to raise a family. My sister is a physical therapist who married a local guy from Richland and raised her family there. She is a physical therapist who has worked for the largest local hospital in downtown Johnstown for many years. Windber, Westmont and other small close knit towns around Johnstown are also good alternatives to raise a family. As you may know, the winters are long with lots of gray cloudy days, snow showers, and snow storms. This is the same in the Pittsburgh area. My sister and I grew up in Delaware County and the winters in the Philly area are not nearly as cold (due to the higher elevations in Johnstown/Altoona) and gray due to the lingering clouds. But the hills and trees are beautiful in the Johnstown area year-round. Your instincts to check out the Johnstown area as a great place to raise a family are really good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM

50 posts, read 104,754 times
Please read alchemist_x posts on Johnstown in other threads as he recently lived there 2007-2012. His posts give a more sobering look at the Johnstown area, the difficult employment picture overall (not sure about nursing), and the cliquish attitude of many long-time residents. I still like Richland in particular, but his posts are from a recent resident of the area.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crssay60 View Post
yes pick the declining g city of Pittsburgh you can see NFL players get assaulted on the south side
Baby steps now. I only suggested Pittsburgh because the OP's standards are obviously very low. Pittsburgh is a dump sure, but compared to Johnstown it's paradise.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM

22 posts, read 46,027 times
*deep breath* OK. This is coming from someone who spent 18 years (my entire childhood) in Johnstown, and then the next 4 years in Pittsburgh. I now live in a suburb of Philadelphia.

The Laurel Highlands do have incredible scenic beauty, but that's really the only good thing I can say about Johnstown- aside from the generally friendly people.

Johnstown has declined so much in just the past 6 years. I would NEVER suggest moving to Johnstown proper- but would instead suggest Richland or Westmont. Better school districts and safer areas.

If you have the option, I would 100% suggest moving to Pittsburgh over Johnstown, but would suggest avoiding the Pittsburgh SD. Neither place will pose a problem for you and your husband being of different ethnicities- you'll find small minded people everywhere (and there are unfortunately a lot in Johnstown,) but I wouldn't think it would be a major issue.

Be aware that both Johnstown and Pittsburgh are 100% car dependent cities, in my opinion. You really can't get anywhere without a car, especially in Johnstown.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1769 View Post
*deep breath* OK. This is coming from someone who spent 18 years (my entire childhood) in Johnstown
My condolences.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 46,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
My condolences.

Thank you! LOL

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 15,675 times
Default We love Johnstown and all the people and kids that we have met that grew up there LOVE it and highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Don't do it. Johnstown is a soul-sucking hell hole. Your children will resent you for moving them to that utter pit of despair. Move to Pittsburgh or one of it's suburbs instead. The cost of living is low because you don't actually live in Johnstown.....You just sit around waiting for your heart to stop beating.
We LOVE Johnstown and all the people and kids that we have spoken to LOVE living there and growing up there and they all highly recommend the Westmont area which rank in Pennsylvania bEST schools ;-)

Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 16,246 times
I have lived in Johnstown for 23 years. I have also spent a few months living in Baltimore.

Johnstown is great. Westmont Hilltop and Richland are two great school systems. The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown is a fantastic smaller university.

There are plenty of smaller homes for sale in the Westmont area that would be great for a small family.

As an RN, Conemaugh would be a great place to work. I know many people who work there and they love it!

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,740 times
I grew up in the Johnstown area and graduated from UPJ. All of my family still lives in the area who I keep up with and go back frequently to visit. I may feel nostalgia for my childhood and miss my family -- BUT it is a dying area, and I highly doubt your children will thank you for moving them there. My children are grown and each time they visit, they thank me for not making them grow up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania