Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times

Advertisements

I used to like Erie's Troyer Farms potato chips... but then they got purchased by some company from York... and they taste bad now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I used to like Erie's Troyer Farms potato chips... but then they got purchased by some company from York... and they taste bad now.
I agree it has not tasted the same since and the plant in Waterford was recently purchased by KLN Family Brands, so at least it won't be vacant anymore.

Company Buys Former Troyer Farms in Waterford, Bringing New Jobs - WICU12/WSEE Erie, PA News, Sports, Weather and Events

KLN Family Brands - Home

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I agree it has not tasted the same since and the plant in Waterford was recently purchased by KLN Family Brands, so at least it won't be vacant anymore.

Company Buys Former Troyer Farms in Waterford, Bringing New Jobs - WICU12/WSEE Erie, PA News, Sports, Weather and Events

KLN Family Brands - Home
I'll have to be on the lookout for Barrel O'Fun Snack Foods. Hopefully they can revive the unique Troyer Farms flavor.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
I remember moving to south-central PA from Iowa (where I remember only Frito-Lay ish brands) and being astounded that there could be a full aisle in the supermarket that would be just potato chips. Even upstate NY would only have a couple of local brands (including Troyer Farms, seeing that name triggered the memory).

Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I remember moving to south-central PA from Iowa (where I remember only Frito-Lay ish brands) and being astounded that there could be a full aisle in the supermarket that would be just potato chips. Even upstate NY would only have a couple of local brands (including Troyer Farms, seeing that name triggered the memory).

Good point about the abundance of potato chips in PA grocery stores. PA really seems to have the potato chip market cornered and my favorite used to be Troyer Farms, but now I have moved on to the "Wood Chips" made in Corry, they have a really distinct taste and hopefully they will be offered in Pittsburgh and other regions of PA sometime soon.

The Bros. Wood Potato Chips

Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
How about Goldenberg's Peanut Chews???

I understand the Goldenberg family sold their candy to Just Born (makers of Peeps) of Bethlehem, but they acquired the Goldenberg's factory here in Philly, where they are still made.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,286 times
When I was away at college, my mom would bring me care packages containing the following items:

Hammonds Pretzels (Lancaster)
Turkey Hill Orange Iced Tea (Lancaster)
Those creme-filled caramels from Howe's Candy (Grove City)

Those items remain at the top of my list. I still hold fond memories of trips to Hammond's tiny bakery with mom as a kid.

I'd also include Utz Pretzels and brews from Troegs, Yuengling, Straub, and Stoudts.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM

59 posts, read 69,978 times
I've lived in Boston for over a decade now but I grew up in Erie. I miss pepperoni balls (they don't exist here), Smith's hot dogs, and corn from Nelson's farm! I hope that farm still exists, in all my travels and new cities I've never found anything close.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I got a snoutful of the following over the past four days in Erie:

Stefanelli's sponge candy
Pulako's milk chocolate
Smith's hot dogs
Presque Isle Wine Cellars noiret (*hic*)
A cheeseburger smothered in Greek sauce and Greek fries from New York Lunch
Lake perch from the Freeport Inn
Erie Brewing Co. Railbender Ale

Now I need some Tums ... LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
Default I'm happy to say

I've found the Yuengling ice cream locally! That's a good thing, believe me. I've had the pleasure of trying their Chocolate Fudge Brownie flavor. Mmmmm-mmmmmmm!

I also just today stumbled across the site for the Moravian Bookstore in Bethlehem, Pa. Plans are in the works for some serious redecorating in coming months, and I will have one of those Moravian Star lights.

A link for anyone who wants to check it out:

www.moravianbookstore.com

Many of the stars are made right here! Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania