Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 242,128 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So we finally relocated to PA (thanks to all that helped in my previous posts). We wanted to donate money to our local volunteer fire depart, but we have no idea what is a good amount. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Bless you for your generosity! I'd say donate as much as you can afford to. I've been a volunteer EMT for many years now, and all of these organizations truly struggle to balance the budget with all the equipment needs.

Something else you can do is designate your gift - if there is something specific you would like them to do with the money. Many volunteer companies have a separate truck fund, equipment fund, building fund, training fund (all of these particular designations depend on the organization of course) and you could request that they use your donation toward a specific category.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Our township's volunteer fire department sends out annual mailing soliciting donations from households and businesses in our community. I believe the suggested amounts are $25 per household per year and $100 per business per year. Some people give more; some people don't give at all. There are a lot of big-box stores and other chains here now, so I'd be a bit irked if I discovered that some of them did not donate to the very same brave men and women who VOLUNTEER to keep their businesses safe. As we just saw with the tragedy in Scranton, our firefighters and EMTs are often taken for granted. I live in a community of 4,000 residents, so you may wish to donate more than $25 if you live in a larger community or less if you live in a smaller one.

No matter what it is REFRESHING to see someone donating to help their community. Bravo!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Our local volunteer fire department sends out requests for donations once a year with boxes to check off for $25, $30, $40 and Other. Many volunteer fire departments have outdated equipment and need to upgrade. Did you know a new engine or pumper or tanker can cost over half a million dollars?! Even "small" stuff, like the jaws of life, hoses, turnout gear, heat sensors, etc. can run into the thousands of dollars. Give what you can, and if you find you can give more at another time you can give again. I try to give $100 annually, and my husband puts in a lot of hours so we contribute in that way too.

That's another thing. If you're able, think about giving some of your time. Departments are always looking for a few more able bodies to help out. There are inside jobs (taking care of equipment, washing trucks, folding hoses, running a bar or restaurant if there is one, cleaning, carpentry, maintenance, etc.) and outside jobs (going to fires and accidents and medical assistance calls).

Whatever you can give, no matter how large or how small, will be greatly appreciated by those who serve you.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
If I would ever win the lottery, the local fire departments would receive very sizable donations.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
If I would ever win the lottery, the local fire departments would receive very sizable donations.
Well, best of luck to you then!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyRF25 View Post
Hi All,

So we finally relocated to PA (thanks to all that helped in my previous posts). We wanted to donate money to our local volunteer fire depart, but we have no idea what is a good amount. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks,
Amy
You rock dude! I'm a volunteer firefighter myself, and really appreciate you wanting to give. Send whatever you can afford, it doesn't matter how little or how much it is, every little bit helps and is appreciated. My department sends out an annual mailing as well, and we receive back anything from $5 all the way up to over a couple hundred. And if you and your wife are feeling really randy, you should see about joining You don't have to actually fight fire to help out, many volunteer departments have all types of positions that need filled, from secretaries, to fire police(they help with traffic control at incidents), to scene support(fetching drinks and food at incidents that last HOURS!), to actual firefighters and ems personnel.

Edit: Holy cow Batman! I didn't realize this thread was so old, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania