Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,258,342 times

Advertisements

Here is another reason that we don't want to stay in So. Calif. any longer. Just about every time we have hot, dry weather (which seems to be quite often), we have fires. We get what are referred to as Santa Ana Winds (winds that come in from the desert and are gusty and dry). Compound that with the fact that we have had under 2 inches of rain since the rainy season started, and So. Calif. is like a tinderbox. The temperature right now is 94 degrees with humidity at 5%!

I took some pictures from my front lawn this afternoon of the fire that is burning about 5 miles from my home. I didn't know how to incorporate them into this posting like SWB does, do they are attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Fire in Southern California-fire-1.jpg   Fire in Southern California-fire-2.jpg   Fire in Southern California-fire-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Here is another reason that we don't want to stay in So. Calif. any longer. Just about every time we have hot, dry weather (which seems to be quite often), we have fires. We get what are referred to as Santa Ana Winds (winds that come in from the desert and are gusty and dry). Compound that with the fact that we have had under 2 inches of rain since the rainy season started, and So. Calif. is like a tinderbox. The temperature right now is 94 degrees with humidity at 5%!

I took some pictures from my front lawn this afternoon of the fire that is burning about 5 miles from my home. I didn't know how to incorporate them into this posting like SWB does, do they are attachments.

Wow! That's incredible. I'm so sorry to see such sad images of scores of virgin lands being scorched to a crisp (Mmm...overcooked palm trees! LOL!) PA occasionally has brush fires, but they've been very rare, especially since our past few years have been very moist and wetter than average. These brush fires are often very easily-contained and rarely do any property damage. Ironically, I was just reading some information about the major fatal Oakland Hills fires an hour ago when you posted these images. I feel so sorry for you all; while you're baking, we're at a comfortable 45 degrees or so today.

P.S. To post them as I do, you need to upload your photos to a third-party site, such as PhotoBucket or Flickr. I prefer PhotoBucket, as I currently have hundreds of images uploaded for free, and I can easily copy and paste a link they provide for each photo into this text area to knock off a photo tour in under a half hour. They also have a "flock" feature which allows you to upload images in bulk. It really doesn't matter though; the photos you attached still look just as vivid as they would if you had used PhotoBucket.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,258,342 times
Thanks for the tip SWB. I'll give that a try the next time I have photos to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania