Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM

425 posts, read 1,571,249 times

Advertisements

jenne,

Chester Springs would take about 40 minutes I am guessing. I tend to only go to the airport and museums in the city and never at rush hour. Have you looked at King of Prussia area or Phenoxville, Wayne- They would all be a shorter commute. Many people that live here in Downingtown do comute to center city via train if that is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM

425 posts, read 1,571,249 times
To view the downingtown area you can search for the downingtown borough .org . They have a great web site with a message board. If you look at parks and recreation you can click on Sky's the Limit playground. It is a park I designed and gives you a good view of what the area is like. You can also search some township web sites for pictures of Downingtown areas. Try East Brandywine , West bradford , Uwchlan or Eagle ( the last two might be a good option for you as it is closer to main roads and easier trip to the city)

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,741 times
We are looking at moving to the Malvern, PA area. These posts on schools in the area have been very helpful. Does anyone have any information on any private and/or catholic schools in the area? Thanks.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Catholic schools in the area.

http://www.catholicschools-phl.org/school_info/chester.htm (broken link)

High Schools:
Bishop Shanahan( Downingtown)
Archbishop Carrol ( Radnor)
Cardinal O'Hara (Broomall)

Elementary schools:

St.Patrick-Malven
Villa maria- Malvern
St. Monica- Berwyn
St. Norbert- Paoli
Philip + James- Exton
St. Elizabeth- Chester Springs(just opened this year)
Saint Basil- Kimberton
St. Joseph- Downingtown
St. Agnes -West Chester
Maximillian Kolbe- west Chester
Peter + paul- west Chester
Saint Simon + Jude- West Chester

Malvern Prep is a private high school with an outstanding rep and there are a slew of other private schools in the area.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 29,802 times
I'm not sure about most schools on the list but I can tell you that Chester Springs is in the Downingtown School District and its excellent. I've lived in the area for 6 years and I am in my first year of college. I have no complaints about the school, I was more than prepared. It's a nice enviroment with good policies and curriculum. I do have to say that the writing program is awesome! It may be tiring while at school because it is so hard and so much work but I am thankful for it now that I'm at college. I can easily write a paper or essay and thats important, especially when your professor is telling people to go to the writing center for tutoring and help.

Malvern is the in Great Valley School District and it is also good, that was another place we looked to move to. West Chester is also not too bad, but I would go with some place in the Dowingtown Area School District, but then again- I'm very bias.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM

64 posts, read 237,741 times
Rainrock- you seem so well versed on the schools in the PA area- can we go back a minute to the original quest of towns and areas with excellent school districts and family oriented/low crime areas... I'm feeling very overwhelmed based on all the criteria my family needs for a relocation to the area-- the area being some where between philadelphia and ny city... my husband will be managing buildings all over the area and so he will be driving a car to and from-- so traffic congestion etc. is important (what highways make a commute to Nj/Ny city not so horrible if you live in PA) and my son is in second grade and is reading at a 5th grade level and so schools are equally important if not the most important item on the list, as we want him to be challenged... I've heard central bucks county might be the best choice for me, but since you seem so well versed on schools do you have a suggestion? I'm guessing some of the towns on that list are better for someone commuting into Phil only... where is the best place to be and off of what major highways for someone who has to do both phil and ny city commuting?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,731 times
Red face Follow up w/rainrock & Mr. Shivers

Hello all, I am late to join your forum but I figured I'd try to solicit your opinions if possible. My family & I live in southern NJ and we are relocating to Philly in the summer. I was born in Drexel Hill (left 33 yrs ago) and went to college in Philly, but I am still finding it difficult to narrow down a location.

Husband will be working at Phila. Int'l Airport
Have $650-675k to spend on a home -but at that price I want it nice!
2 young boys -would like public school but possibly an all male Catholic H.S. down the road.

Have seen Radley Run in West Chester (Birmingham Twp) and liked it but I am concerned about distance to Center City for social purposes & commute time to airport (work) during rush hour. NOt to mention no rail system.

I know Media & Wallingford are better commute wise, but hubby isn't digging Wallingford and he is now hearing "questionable things" about Media.

Looked a little bit at Greene Countrie in Newtown Sq, liked the landscape but the homes i saw were so, so....not hearing overwhelmingly good things about schools...

Okay - we have not explored Havertown or Haverford and based on the input from both of you, I think I have been remiss. Any neighborhoods in my price range?

I am looking for your candor -and William, unfortunately, I already have a realtor. I am especially interested in comparisons of West Chester vs. Unionville/Chadds Ford school districts.....Hubby loves Radley Run but I am thinking it is a hike to Center City....One final word, what are your thoughts on the southeastern part of Berwyn ( i just think due to all of the positive press lately, they are listing the homes pretty high..) In short, I want conveinence, good schools, a close neighborhood feel, but I don't want to raise my kids in a snobbby & high falutent environment....

thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

denise

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee h. View Post
In short, I want conveinence, good schools, a close neighborhood feel, but I don't want to raise my kids in a snobbby & high falutent environment....

denise
If you don't have your heart set on a brand new house with 1.5 acres, my first thoughts would be to look in Lower Merion. The best school district in the entire area and the character of the Main Line towns is mindboggling(only problem maybe the snootyness). Take a ride through Gladwyne,Bryn Mawr,Radnor and Villanova if you get the chance. You won't be able to find brand new developments, but at your price range I'm sure you'll have plenty of options for a beautiful house in a great neighborhood.

A second recommendation is the area around Springton Lake and Ridley Creek State Park(Middletown-Edgmont-Lower Providence-Gradyville).Incredible area and puts you in the Rose Tree Media School district, probably the 2nd best in Delaware County behind Radnor.The elementary schools in this area are tremendous. There are a few fairly new housing developments around the Lake but its a pricey area.Worth a look. There are alot of amazing houses(older) with character along Ridley Creek Road. Check them out if you get the chance.

A third option. Have you given any thought to the Garnet Valley School District? That entire area is exploding with new housing developments. The schools are top notch. Concord Twp. Bethel,Boothwyn, Glen Mills,Thornbury. Easy commute to the airport.

Good luck.Take your time, this is a great time to be buying and you have some tremendous options within your budget.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-09-2007 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjacz View Post
the area being some where between philadelphia and ny city... my husband will be managing buildings all over the area and so he will be driving a car to and from-- so traffic congestion etc. is important (what highways make a commute to Nj/Ny city not so horrible if you live in PA) and my son is in second grade and is reading at a 5th grade level and so schools are equally important if not the most important item on the list, as we want him to be challenged... I've heard central bucks county might be the best choice for me, but since you seem so well versed on schools do you have a suggestion?
Most of my time is spent NW of Philly so I'm not that familiar with the areas to the NE.

The best school districts in the Philadelphia area are Radnor and Lower Merion but that is not conducive to your needs as this area is NW of Philly. From what I've heard of Bucks County- Central Bucks, Council Rock, New Hope/Solebury school districts are all top notch.

Lower Makefield Township which is along the Delaware River was rated the best area to live- in the entire Philadelphia metro- by Philadlephia Magazine. I've been to the New Hope, Washington Crossing area and I'd move there in a second. Doylestown area is also very nice although a further commute to NYC. This would be a great NYC-Philly middle area if you planned to live in PA.

The easiest commute up to NYC would be to jump on 202 N and get on I-78 up to NYC.

Good luck

Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 PM

64 posts, read 237,741 times
Rain Rock- Thanks for your help... I wish I was able to go in the direction you are so well versed on...one more question... when I try to look up washington crossing on Realtor.com I can't seem to bring anything up? Any suggestions? Is it part of yardley? Is Washinton Crossing part of pennsbury school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania