Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 PM

22 posts, read 84,554 times

Advertisements

NO I do not see any race issues here. Thats not to say every thing is perfect but over all to answer your question I would say No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 AM

60 posts, read 375,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Joel View Post
Wow, and you live in the Lancaster area! That is one of the areas that was most criticized. Nice to know your experience is sooo different. S.
Joel,

I guess it is all dependent on ones experience. Is this the most progressive of areas? No it isnt. You can see from most of the posts about York County, there is a strong feeling of us vs them from some long time residents of PA regarding people from MD relocating there. I suspect those same people have a NIMBY (Not in my back yard) feeling about race and ethnicity. They dont outright say things, but as someone said, behind closed doors they can be downright disgusting.

But that is the point, it is not everyone nor is it in every situation.

The true marker of todays bigotry is not going to come from someone it is directed to, rather the people of same race/ ethnicity who hear the words behind closed doors.

It is not PC to be a bigot, so the days of outright racism are dwindling. But from people I have conversed with in my neighborhood, it does exist and they think every caucasian should be okay with it.

So I say to you you may never experience it, or the kids, but it may be there lurking. And they should be made aware that some people can smile to your face, but that is not always their true feelings.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 49,286 times
S.Central PA is very conservative this could be why you may experience these types of things!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 AM

Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by east22west View Post
S.Central PA is very conservative this could be why you may experience these types of things!
I think it is pretty sad that you equate conservatism to racism.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 155,939 times
Default Schools

This is actually Kamikazejoshua's wife. But my comment would be that I am a high school teacher at a s.central PA school. Yes, racism is very much present. A great deal of students pride themselves on it. It's to the point now, where it's making me question whether or not to go back next year.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 AM

28 posts, read 147,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
I think it is pretty sad that you equate conservatism to racism.
From the perspective of a political moderate, the "conservatism" in (at least) Lancaster County can be borderline extremist. For example, I've been told more times than I can count that I can't possibly be both a Democrat and a Christian.

What passes for "conservative" in Lancaster County generally includes a lack of acceptance of people who are significantly different. I can see where this could be considered to be "racist".

Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
It is not a clear cut racism. More of an "outsider", stranger danger!
Pa natives don't trust outsiders. In the smaller towns you are treated like an outcast if you weren't born there and haven't live there for the last 20 years. Shunning is not just for the Amish.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM

14 posts, read 131,810 times
Unless you move inside the cities, Philadelphia or Pittsburg, Racism is not going to be an issue. Most rual pennsylvanias do not care where you are from, what religion you have, and what color of your skin. Its the liberal urbanites and feel do gooders that you have to watch out for, especialy in the city of "brotherly love".

Bye the way, I find this problem exist everywhere in liberal cities, and especially in the NE.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie See View Post
From the perspective of a political moderate, the "conservatism" in (at least) Lancaster County can be borderline extremist. For example, I've been told more times than I can count that I can't possibly be both a Democrat and a Christian.

What passes for "conservative" in Lancaster County generally includes a lack of acceptance of people who are significantly different. I can see where this could be considered to be "racist".
See, the problem is painting everyone with a broad stroke. I am libertarian by belief, but anyone who says an area that is conservative equates that area with racist is horribly misguided.

Are some conservatives racists, absolutely. Are some Liberals racist, absolutely. I don't hear anyone saying that an area is liberal, must be racist. That is because it is asinine to make such a claim. It really just shows the posters ignorance and agenda.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM

28 posts, read 147,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetorn View Post
Unless you move inside the cities, Philadelphia or Pittsburg, Racism is not going to be an issue. Most rural pennsylvanias do not care where you are from, what religion you have, and what color of your skin.
That is definitely NOT the situation in Lancaster County.

Many Lancaster County residents refuse to visit Lancaster City. Why? The most common answer is because they feel unsafe among the many Hispanics and blacks who live in Lancaster City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania