Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 29,455 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving soon and while I was born and raised in PA, it's been mostly the Philadelphia area and close suburbs. I think the farthest West in PA I have ever been too, has probably been Hershey when I was young and going to Hershey Park. Outside of that... I have lived in Ottawa OH for 2 years and Gassville AR for 2 years, 3 years in Bellmawr NJ and 2 Years in Newport DE.

Due to issues with a new company taking over my apartment complex, I have started looking out in Western PA, because property owned by an apartment company I dealt with in OH, also has about 15 or so complexes in the state.

The one I really want to live in, is in Cambria County, Ebensburg PA... but their all full so I'm on the wait list and in the meantime I found a 2 bedroom (though I only need a 1 bedroom), in Reynoldsville PA to tide me over for a while, till something opens in the other county.

I don't know anything what so ever about those areas, so if anyone could be so kind to chime in if you have lived out in either of those counties and or boroughs. Would also like to know if Reynoldsville has any kind of public transportation and if Uber or any other service like it might be out there, as I do not have a vehicle and of course need a way to move around for shopping, doctors etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I've been through Punxsy and DuBois but don't think I've ever made it to Reynoldsville. There is public transportation. See ATA - Area Transit Authority of Central Pennsylvania. Your shopping and healthcare will be mostly in DuBois. There is a small mall, WalMart, and decent size hospital in DuBois.

Ebensburg also has public transportation, see CamTran - Welcome aboard CamTran. There is a Walmart in Ebensburg, but you have to go Johnstown for the nearest hospital. There is also a decent size mall down Route 219 near Johnstown.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Reynoldsville is a very small and appears to be a bit blighted. It's one of those places you probably wouldn't want to move to unless you grew up there.

In what town will you be working?

Old 05-05-2017, 02:42 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Dubois would be better if you're carless. The area, even with the very,very limited public transportation, is neither friendly nor convenient for someone without a car.

Uber? Yeah, it's there.

Blight? Yes to an extent. There area never recovered from the economy and recessions which began in the 1970s. It is one of the areas losing population.

Be aware, the area is RURAL. Winters are more severe and longer than anything you've experienced in SEPA. In fact, there's a Winter Storm Warning there beginning today and ending Sunday.

Did I mention it is VERY RURAL? Probably almost as many cows as people.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:34 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Be aware, the area is RURAL. Winters are more severe and longer than anything you've experienced in SEPA. In fact, there's a Winter Storm Warning there beginning today and ending Sunday.
Totally false.

National Weather Service

Today: Showers. High near 46. West wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 36. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers before 9am, then a slight chance of rain showers between 9am and 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. West wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Totally false.

National Weather Service

Today: Showers. High near 46. West wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 36. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers before 9am, then a slight chance of rain showers between 9am and 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. West wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Yeah, the forecast changed since Wednesday night when the potential storm came up. It's not worth me going back to link it.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been north of Butler?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:15 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
The big industry there was Reynoldsville Casket Co. They were bought out by a company from Pittsburgh a few years back. I don't know if the factory is still there and working. DuBois is less than 10 miles away and is the commercial center of that area, in case you are nostalgic for urban life.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The big industry there was Reynoldsville Casket Co. They were bought out by a company from Pittsburgh a few years back. I don't know if the factory is still there and working. DuBois is less than 10 miles away and is the commercial center of that area, in case you are nostalgic for urban life.
The casket company is still there.

Somehow, though, I don't think the OP is worried about a job. I think I know what's going on because it's been happening in the area for a few years and has become somewhat a mini-issue in the area. It was one reason Clarion had to increase its dorm space as the private off campus housing units were being taken by transplants not affiliated with the college from urban areas.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, the forecast changed since Wednesday night when the potential storm came up. It's not worth me going back to link it.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been north of Butler?
I've been as far north as Quebec City in North America. Why do you ask? I check the NWS often and they never showed a chance of anything but a rain/snow mix in Northern parts of the state.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Why do you ask? I check the NWS often and they never showed a chance of anything but a rain/snow mix in Northern parts of the state.
I got it Wednesday, no that's wrong because I was still in the hospital Wednesday so it was Thursday afternoon, from the Explore Jefferson website that does local news.

Just curious. I was going to say Cranberry but thought I'd expand your horizons a bit. Weren't you thinking of moving to Coudersport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania