Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 54,791 times

Advertisements

HI there! I'm trying to track down my family history in either West Jefferson or Jefferson NC. My mother was raised there and her family had a farm on what is now Bower Lane (supposedly named after my grandfather, James Carl Bower), off Highway 165. Anyway, my husband and I are coming up in October for 5 days to #1 see the area my mom grew up in, #2 to locate the cemetary where my grandfather is buried, #3 and see the leaves turn. Her last name is Bower and she is related to the Colvards, and she told me there is a cemetary on/near the Jefferson Landing Golf Course. I have Googled, Yahoo'd and Asked till my fingers are raw and I cannot for the life of me find any information on a cemetary near or on this golf course. Is there a Colvard cemetary, and if so, where is it located? Was the other cemetary moved, or is it just closed? Any information would be so sincerely appreciated! Also, while we are up here, can someone tell us the "must see" attractions in this area (Asheville included...), we are planning to visit the Biltmore on one of the days we are up there. I wish I had spent time at my grand father's farm, but that was so long ago. I guess I"m trying to take a trip back in time and bring some pictures home so my 81 y/o mom can see where she used to live one last time before she passes.
Again, thanks so much for any information anyone can provide!!
Rosina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
Do you know what type of cemetery it is, commercial, church or private?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM

I think it is a church cemetery, but the church has been torn down, when the land sold to the golf course, according to my mother....

Old 07-13-2008, 10:33 AM

There's mention of the Bower-Colvard cemetery in this book on page 150, but it doesn't say exactly where on the Jefferson Landing Golf Course property it is located.

Amazon.com: The People of the New River: Oral Histories from the Ashe, Alleghany, and Watauga Counties of North Carolina (Contributions to Southern Appalachian Studies, ... to Southern Appalachian Studies, 5): Leland R. Cooper, Mary Lee Cooper: Books

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Hey, thanks for the reference, I'll get a hold of the book and see what I can find. I appreciate all the effort to look that up for me, you are so very kind indeed. Thanks again, everything helps! Rosina

Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM

The Colvard family line in Ashe & Wilkes counties are pretty interesting. Apparently, they may be descendants of the Calverts of Maryland (English royals).

COLVARD/CALVERT DIRECT LINE ANCESTORS - The Ancestry of Grover and Harrison Shepherd by Brodrick Shepherd

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM

"Apparently, they may be descendants of the Calverts of Maryland (English royals). " Heh, heh, I've always thought I should be living in a castle!!!! Rosina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina