Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 PM

105 posts, read 622,190 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving out of Florida, we are part time Antique dealers so we love auctions, flea markets and antiques. Wich of these cities would be best? We have no kids so schools are not a big issue for us, tho they would be important for resale.

I have heard that Lancaster is being overrun with migrant workers that don't speak English-is that true? Cost of housing seems pricey in Lancaster. What can we get with 250K cash? A decent house with small barn or big garage would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2006, 06:02 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
Lancaster, the city itself, not the county, is definitely overun with migrant workers. Many of the small cities in PA (Lancaster, Reading, Allentown) are heavily hispanic, and they do have attitudes. They are not safe cities anymore either. I would not recommend living in any of these towns.

The upside is that the counties surrounding these towns are still country, laid back, and pretty nice. Lancaster County is mostly farmland, few forested areas, and heavily Amish, which adds a nice flavor. Tons of roadside stands selling everything you can imagine. I'm not sure about Hanover. York county is pretty rural.

Phish Head

Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 PM

105 posts, read 622,190 times
Anyone else have anything to add to this? Thanks!!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 AM
caw

1 posts, read 4,557 times
Default hanover would be best

My opinion? Hanover would be your best bet! New Oxford is like the antique capitol of south central PA and draws on the G-burg tourist trade and also from Frederick and D.C. There are many, many auctions available and many bargains to be found as far as antiques go at these auctions because it is mostly a rural area and untapped market!

Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
Hanover seems like your best bet. People in Lancaster NEVER warm up to out-of-towners. I love my house and my town (Lititz), but the people are not friendly. We' re thinking of moving back towards Philly. Best of luck with your move.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 PM

29 posts, read 286,161 times
I reccomend Strasburg. It has a lot of antique shops and country shops around town. I don't know about house $$ though I live in Lititz which is a nice little town.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:30 AM

158 posts, read 814,345 times
I lived in Lancaster County for ~3 years (moved away for college). I grew up in the burbs of Philly, and to the person that said the Lancaster County residents don't warm up to out-of-towners...well, I guess that's true to an extent. I found it was that I didn't warm up to their country lifestyle and mentality. I am pretty liberal...Lancaster is very conservative. If you are conservative and you like the rural life, Lancaster is perfect.

In terms of housing prices: My in-laws are shopping for a new house, so I've been privvy to housing costs, real estate taxes, etc. For whatever reason, Lancaster's housing market is booming. $250,000 will still get you a nice house, but I wouldn't expect any barn. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a house with a barn that doesn't include a decent tract of land (read: expensive).

For what it's worth, I now live closer to Philadelphia. Don't think I hated my time in Lancaster. I liked aspects of the city and its surrounding area (and since my in-laws live there, I'm there somewhat frequently). I'd recommend areas like Lititz, Manheim Township, or Landisville.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 16,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloveantiques
Thinking of moving out of Florida, we are part time Antique dealers so we love auctions, flea markets and antiques. Wich of these cities would be best? We have no kids so schools are not a big issue for us, tho they would be important for resale.

I have heard that Lancaster is being overrun with migrant workers that don't speak English-is that true? Cost of housing seems pricey in Lancaster. What can we get with 250K cash? A decent house with small barn or big garage would be great.

Thanks!
All these areas are good for antiques. There are a lot of flea markets and auction in these regions. The entire area is experiencing unchecked housing and population growth. Rural and farmland is being bought up and new neighborhoods are sprawling... in the southern end of Lancaster and York Counties, people from Maryland are moving in and commuting because housing is more expensive in those areas and they get twice as much house here for the same money.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Just came back from visiting Lancaster for the first time in 2 years. The suburbs are definitely growing with many housing developments and the usual assortment of big box stores invading all over. I hope its popularity doesn't become its undoing.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:01 PM

158 posts, read 814,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65
Just came back from visiting Lancaster for the first time in 2 years. The suburbs are definitely growing with many housing developments and the usual assortment of big box stores invading all over. I hope its popularity doesn't become its undoing.
You'd have to define "undoing." Personally, I think Lancaster could use all of the out-of-town help it can get. I'd bet most of the lifelong residents don't want to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania