Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen a thread on here profiling Johnstown/Cambria County in quite some time, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any to initiate one.

Johnstown is an aging post-Industrial "Rust Belt" city about 90 minutes (~60 miles) ESE of Pittsburgh.

Johnstown's 2017 estimated population is 19,643, down from its peak of 67,327 in 1920. Its population has been in various speeds of decline for ~100 years now. The population decline seems to be hastening, so the population will likely be ~18,500 officially in the 2020 Census. About 1/3 of the population lives in poverty.

Cambria County's 2018 estimated population is 131,730, down from its peak of 213,459 in 1940. Its population has also been in various speeds of decline for generations. As with Johnstown, the decline from 2010-2020 seems to be accelerating vs. the decline from 2000-2010, so it's possible the population may be ~129,000 in the 2020 Census.

Does anyone see this decline beginning to level off anytime soon? Is the decline similar to Pittsburgh's continued population decline in that it's largely fueled by a mass dying off of a disproportionately old white non-Hispanic population?

I have always been fascinated by the history in/around Johnstown. There is some gorgeous scenery along the U.S. Route 22 Corridor as well in Northern Cambria County. Despite the steep population decline Ebensburg's "suburb" of Cambria Township has actually just landed new retail in the way of ALDI, Starbucks, and Taco Bell. I particularly enjoy stopping at this Starbucks now on my long drives to see my family near Scranton.

Amazingly Johnstown still has a minor-league hockey team, although I'd expect them to be gone by 2030 if current population trends continue, as there won't be enough of a fan base left (do people really drive in from Altoona or Indiana or Somerset to see minor-league hockey in Johnstown?)

Even Westmont, the county's "old money" suburb with large stately historic homes and tree-lined streets, and Richland Township, the county's "new suburbia" community, are both in population decline.

Is there anything that can be done to "save" Johnstown from becoming the next Braddock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:37 PM

650 posts, read 774,171 times
Reduce tax then people will come.

Nj ny people are moving to pa.

Can these poor towns offer zero tax? Lol or no one will come.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
I doubt you will ever see any growth in Cambria County for many decades. There's Univ Pitt at Johnstown a link to the outside world. Other than that it is isolated geographically (not near major highways or population centers) and the city is in late-stage post-industrial decline. Quite unfortunate. Many young people have left that area for Pittsburgh, or have left PA entirely. I looked at housing in Johnstown once, it is dirt cheap. Johnstown is not unique in its plight, however, as there are other PA cities struggling with population decline.

Last edited by g500; 07-08-2019 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 AM

79 posts, read 85,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I haven't seen a thread on here profiling Johnstown/Cambria County in quite some time, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any to initiate one.

Johnstown is an aging post-Industrial "Rust Belt" city about 90 minutes (~60 miles) ESE of Pittsburgh.

Johnstown's 2017 estimated population is 19,643, down from its peak of 67,327 in 1920. Its population has been in various speeds of decline for ~100 years now. The population decline seems to be hastening, so the population will likely be ~18,500 officially in the 2020 Census. About 1/3 of the population lives in poverty.

Cambria County's 2018 estimated population is 131,730, down from its peak of 213,459 in 1940. Its population has also been in various speeds of decline for generations. As with Johnstown, the decline from 2010-2020 seems to be accelerating vs. the decline from 2000-2010, so it's possible the population may be ~129,000 in the 2020 Census.

Does anyone see this decline beginning to level off anytime soon? Is the decline similar to Pittsburgh's continued population decline in that it's largely fueled by a mass dying off of a disproportionately old white non-Hispanic population?

I have always been fascinated by the history in/around Johnstown. There is some gorgeous scenery along the U.S. Route 22 Corridor as well in Northern Cambria County. Despite the steep population decline Ebensburg's "suburb" of Cambria Township has actually just landed new retail in the way of ALDI, Starbucks, and Taco Bell. I particularly enjoy stopping at this Starbucks now on my long drives to see my family near Scranton.

Amazingly Johnstown still has a minor-league hockey team, although I'd expect them to be gone by 2030 if current population trends continue, as there won't be enough of a fan base left (do people really drive in from Altoona or Indiana or Somerset to see minor-league hockey in Johnstown?)

Even Westmont, the county's "old money" suburb with large stately historic homes and tree-lined streets, and Richland Township, the county's "new suburbia" community, are both in population decline.

Is there anything that can be done to "save" Johnstown from becoming the next Braddock?
Yeah I would think Cambria County's population will drop to about 129,942 at the 2020 census, down from 143,679 in 2010, a decrease of about 10.6%, the second highest in the state I believe after Cameron County, further north, which will probably fall another 15%, and it will likely to continue at that rate for more years to come as the population continues to age and people leave Johnstown area for more opportunities. The only thing that is probably keeping the Ebensburg area doing well retail wise is that it is at the intersection of a few major roadways.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:29 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I did a search on here about Johnstown and ran across this thread. I was thinking a few months back of acquiring rental property in the area. They are all section 8 but the profit/loss statement was decent. Only problem is I am located in Northeast PA and would hire a property manager since I couldn't get there as often as I could. Anyway, the population exodus concerns me as well. Hard to find new tenants if people are leaving. I decided against it earlier this year but I think this owner still is trying to sell. Worth an inquiry?

Old 05-28-2021, 02:06 PM

175 posts, read 281,775 times
Johnstown might be bad, but at least it isn't as bad as Shamokin.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:13 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
I had family that owned a jewelry store in Johnstown a bazillion years ago. They left when the going was good and moved to Hollywood, Florida in the 1930s.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:44 AM

611 posts, read 364,825 times
It's unfortunate as it has good bones, but I don't see an end to the decline.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:58 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I had high hopes for rural PA for a while. How do you explain all-China all the time at Walmart and decaying towns all around. Windmills were supposed to replace coal. You know very many families in Shamokin sending kids to college off of windmills? What does it take to bring GM back to Fleetwood? Is anybody even working on it?

Old 06-01-2021, 03:02 PM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I had high hopes for rural PA for a while. How do you explain all-China all the time at Walmart and decaying towns all around. Windmills were supposed to replace coal. You know very many families in Shamokin sending kids to college off of windmills? What does it take to bring GM back to Fleetwood? Is anybody even working on it?
The industry of lore isn't coming back. No one is sending their kid off to coal school.

The best chance western PA has is green energy and tourism. Sadly, the folks who live there can't seem to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania