Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

13 posts, read 88,761 times

Advertisements

Possibly could be relocating my family and I to this location.

Can I get some insight as to whats good and whats not? I have a family of 5, 3 boys, ages 9,6,4.. Dubois School district looks to be new and growing. Anyone know what the age cutoff to start kindergarten is?

Any info in greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 04:38 PM

not many from there I guess..hehe

anyhow, will be making a trip down next week, after 3rd interview. We'll see first hand.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
gap

10 posts, read 41,493 times
I was born and raised in DuBois (Treasure Lake) & graduated DAHS 93. My parents still live there, and I really enjoy going back to visit. If you are moving to DuBois, check into Treasure Lake with your realtor, it is an amazing area for the middle of PA! I am a mother of 3 little girls, and they love to going on vacation to Treasure Lake to visit my parents.. with lakes, beaches, golf courses The DuBois area has grown so much since I got married and moved away- it is really booming now. The cutoff for children entering Kindergarten is they must be 5 on or before September 1. Good Luck with your interview, I'll be curious to hear what you think of the area.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 PM

Well, we have been here since Weds now, and have enjoyed it. Your right, it is a growing city, lots of new plazas, the Mall is a deent size, and I like the ampitheature/park setup. Kids had a good time at the local playground their.

We checked out the Treasure Lake area today. What an awsome place. Beaches, lakes, the Lodge, and sme beautiful homes. Prices were cheap too, can't ask for more. We found one that we really liked and are going to try and get it.

Its a very rural area, which is a bit different from where we are now, but Du Bois does have all the modern needs. Love the mts too, really make sthe area. I hope the growing and improving of this place continues, it has alot of potential.

oh, btw, the people here have been really nice too, not minding at all to give us info or help us out.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
gap

10 posts, read 41,493 times
DuBois is the kind of area that really does grow on you! Great location, especially right off I-80. It has the small town feel with modern conveniences. And you said you have 3 boys- do they play baseball? For some reason, DuBois has a great baseball program- did you hear the 13 yo's won states? I have a lot of hometown pride!! Good luck with the house. I just love Treasure Lake!

Old 08-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes, 3 boys, and so far they do play. I have coached 2 of them, 4yrs of T-ball. My oldest as completed 2 yrs of bantam, not sure if will continue on to Minors. My middle child is ready for Bantam (coach pitch). Sound slike they take their Little League seriously and put together some great teams. Thats great.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 56,625 times
Well, it is great to find someone so familiar with Dubois. I am coming to West Yellowstone in December but I want to travel to Dubois if at possible. I am looking to hopefully relocate here if I can find a job.

I currently do real estate and substitute teaching.

I will also be looking for a place to rent in Dubois.

Any information and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,559 times
Dubois is a dump.

The town is dieing and they cannot afford to pay their bills and so they would really like to combine with Sandy twp. At the same time, Treasure Lake is also in very bad shape and cannot pay their bills, the electric company went out to the fire station a few months back to shut off the electricity because nobody paid the bill.

Sandy Twp. refused to let Treasure Lake join up with Sandy Twp and so Treasure Lake is now trying to incorporate it's self and become it's own little town or city.

They will have to take down the gate and open the roads to make it into a town and there is no money in their budget to pay even a lawyer to do the legal work.

So basically in time it will just fall right back into the hole that it came out of.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
I lived in DuBois for a while and also attended Penn State Dubois for a year and a half. Dubois is kind of a town searching for an identity - it has blue collar roots in the railroad, shipping, and manufacturing sectors but many of these jobs have dried up.

Today, many of the jobs are retail related (the mall, chain stores, restaurants, ect.). Sandy township borders the city, but many of the neighborhoods seemed a bit run down and redneckish. This is why many people choose Treasure Lake (even tho the gated community style is annoying).

It seems like there is a bar or a club of some kind on every corner of DuBois. I remember all of the clubs, including multiple firemans clubs, the Moose, VFW, Legion, Eagles, Polish Club, Big O, and on and on.

There have been some new chain businesses to come to town, such as Ruby Tuesday, Lowes, and I think now a Super Wally World. Other positives include the very small Penn State Campus and the short drive to State College.

Last edited by Johnny C; 10-21-2009 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,559 times
Johnny - does your mama know that you go to Gentlemans clubs?

The Big O is a scary place.

You would be better off going to Coyote Joe's or Dario's Bar then to go to the Big O.

Downtown Du Bois has no tax base because most of the businesses have moved out of the city and into the township. That is why the city would like to combine with the township, but the township knows that once the city gets their hands on it's money, they will be as broke as the city is right now.

The same holds true for Treasure Lake. The only way to increase revenue is by raising taxes. Which at one time when I built houses there - most people commuted to work and only lived there on the weekends and so there was no tax base to raise the taxes to increase revenue.

That is why they had to open up the townhouses to anyone that could afford the rent and why the drug traffic has increased and why so many people are being found dead up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania