Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:11 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

First let me say I wish John Fetterman the best, and speedy recoveries from all of his challenges.

This thread asks a hypothetical question based on recent news.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fet...cal-depression

I just don't want to be blindsided if Fetterman abruptly resigns and Gov. Shapiro has to pick a replacement. Obviously Shapiro is an establishment moderate, where Fetterman is a populist. So who would Shapiro pick? Conor Lamb, who came second to Fetterman in the primaries? Someone from the Philly area, where Shapiro is from?

Am I correct in thinking that Pennsylvania follows a system where such a replacement would fill out the entire term, which at this point would be another 5 years, ten and a half months?

Old 02-16-2023, 02:40 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
Agreed on everything you posted. I think Lamb would be the obvious choice, and I wouldn't mind him but wouldn't be my first pick. I would prefer someone like Houlahan but most PA pols are uber conscience of our geography and Lamb being from Pittsburgh checks a huge box.

I made it clear that I didn't have concerns about his stroke and his ability to do his job. Others disagreed, and we had an election. But this is seems a bit a different. If this is a Thomas Eagleton situation, he should probably step down (though Eagleton served a couple more terms after his 72 implosion).

Old 02-16-2023, 03:30 PM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
Is that how it works in PA? The gov picks a replacement and the replacement serves out the term?

Old 02-16-2023, 03:44 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
Unless we have changed our laws, there would be a special in 2024 for the last 4 years. That is how it worked when John Heinz died.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Unless we have changed our laws, there would be a special in 2024 for the last 4 years. That is how it worked when John Heinz died.
Thanks for the info. I was still living in NJ when that happened, so I didn't remember the details.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:06 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Agreed on everything you posted. I think Lamb would be the obvious choice, and I wouldn't mind him but wouldn't be my first pick. I would prefer someone like Houlahan but most PA pols are uber conscience of our geography and Lamb being from Pittsburgh checks a huge box.

I made it clear that I didn't have concerns about his stroke and his ability to do his job. Others disagreed, and we had an election. But this is seems a bit a different. If this is a Thomas Eagleton situation, he should probably step down (though Eagleton served a couple more terms after his 72 implosion).
Eagleton didn't really meltdown, his mental health issues had been a decade or more earlier. The issue was that it was unknown when McGovern chose him. There was a feeding frenzy when the media uncovered it.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:20 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Eagleton didn't really meltdown, his mental health issues had been a decade or more earlier. The issue was that it was unknown when McGovern chose him. There was a feeding frenzy when the media uncovered it.
As someone who has sought treatment (outpatient) for depression and am prone to it, I hope we have moved past where we were when Eagleton's severe depression became public, though one could argue that the frenzy was the result of Eagleton having hidden it rather than having sought treatment.

As I don't know the details of Fetterman's case, I can't say whether his depression is severe enough to render him incapable of serving the citizens of Pennsylvania. But I can tell you as a living example that there are millions of us who wrestle with our black dogs daily while continuing to function, and even function highly, in society.

Here's another sufferer from the past: Winston Churchill. He called his depression "my black dog," and I've adopted that metaphor because I find it vivid. (There have been few politicians in the Anglophone world who were as masterful as Churchill in their use of the language. Another good one was his description of the British and the Americans as "two people divided by a common language.")

Most of us keep our black dogs securely leashed, but every so often, they slip the leash and escape the fenced-in yard. Sometimes, catching them when they do is easy. Sometimes it isn't. In those latter cases, the best thing others can do is help us chase them.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:34 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As someone who has sought treatment (outpatient) for depression and am prone to it, I hope we have moved past where we were when Eagleton's severe depression became public, though one could argue that the frenzy was the result of Eagleton having hidden it rather than having sought treatment.

As I don't know the details of Fetterman's case, I can't say whether his depression is severe enough to render him incapable of serving the citizens of Pennsylvania. But I can tell you as a living example that there are millions of us who wrestle with our black dogs daily while continuing to function, and even function highly, in society.

Here's another sufferer from the past: Winston Churchill. He called his depression "my black dog," and I've adopted that metaphor because I find it vivid. (There have been few politicians in the Anglophone world who were as masterful as Churchill in their use of the language. Another good one was his description of the British and the Americans as "two people divided by a common language.")

Most of us keep our black dogs securely leashed, but every so often, they slip the leash and escape the fenced-in yard. Sometimes, catching them when they do is easy. Sometimes it isn't. In those latter cases, the best thing others can do is help us chase them.
Eagleton did seek treatment, that was the feeding frenzy. It was electro-shock therapy, which was common at that time.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:11 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Fetterman is unabashedly far left progressive, but he's also cozyed up to big moneyed interests. Not a good combination when there are still a few holdouts to selling out on the far left. Very few, but there are a few. The problem is they're as cracked ideologically as the sell outs. But an honest cracxked is better than a dishonest cracked.
Casey's a party bootlick and Fetterman is one as well and i can't see Shapiro who is another party bootlick looking for someone with any sign of independence.
Fetterman's wife is pretty nasty so she's probably the front runner.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Eagleton did seek treatment, that was the feeding frenzy. It was electro-shock therapy, which was common at that time.
Lest we forget, after withdrawing from the McGovern ticket (or being forced off), Tom Eagleton was re-elected to the Senate twice more by the people of Missouri, in 1974 and 1980. Eagleton was not ruined by the 1972 revelations, but psychiatrists said he could suffer further episodes and it was feared that voters would not want him "a heartbeat away from the Presidency".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania