Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 08:25 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times

Advertisements

s e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The question is will Governor Shapiro sign Bowers' death warrant?
It will never get that far; the death penalty (as a common practice) is limited to only a small number of states. mostly in the Deep South; Pennsylvania has not seen an involuntary execution since 1962.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-02-2023 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 08:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"...There are a number of assumptions here that are either demonstrably false or (at the least) highly debatable, but among the most significant, perhaps, is the idea that Exodus 20:13 represents a biblical injunction against “killing.” There are two major problems with this assumption."

"1. It would make nonsense of much of the rest of the Old Testament."

"2. The second major objection to citing Exodus 20:13 as a prohibition on killing is that it is based on an incorrect translation of the verse. It should be translated as “Thou shalt not murder” rather than “Thou shalt not kill,” and there is quite a moral distinction between the two terms."

https://apholt.com/2015/03/17/thou-s...lt-not-murder/
I belong to a progressive church that realizes we aren't living in ancient Israel and growth is needed.

My church voted on this very thing. 1978, the General Assembly went on record as saying, “Capital punishment is an expression of vengeance which contradicts the justice of God on the cross.

In 1985, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), reaffirmed these positions and declared “its continuing opposition to capital punishment.

In 2000, and a decade later in 2010, the General Assembly reaffirmed its stance against capital punishment, and called for “an immediate moratorium on all executions in all jurisdictions that impose capital punishment,” authorizing direct advocacy by the Stated Clerk with the President of the United States, Congressional representatives, and governors and state legislators in states where persons are incarcerated while awaiting execution.

In 2008, the General Assembly approved “A Social Creed for the 21st Century” which includes the call for Christians to work for: “A system of criminal rehabilitation, based on restorative justice and an end to the death penalty.

*** Again, I think it is important to note, we aren't living in Ancient Israel. Some religions progress and some don't. Believe it or not gay marriage has been approved as well to give an idea of progression.

Now my personal beliefs also matter as I am not just a follower. I have no problem disagreeing with my chosen church. I don't believe people can claim to be a different sex. Gender is biological and there would need to be separate category for them. A man certainly can't claim women's status because women should be a protected class. I post this to show my stance and progression.

So all that history being said, I'm not for the death penalty. Life in prison will put this person out of the public and keep us safe from them. No need to end someone's life.

Hope this helps and makes people realize that there are many different religions and you can't simply lump them together with ease and pretend you are some overseer of all religions.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/jury...NWNQDDOOEW5AY/

Old 08-02-2023, 12:21 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I have a question.

Was this conviction on state or federal charges? If the state, then a death penalty means nothing since your previous Governor imposed a moratorium on it. If federal the same thing, the current President has declared his opposition to it and Federal prosecutors are hesitating to ask for it.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:59 PM

14,153 posts, read 9,043,710 times
To add something to gg's post upthread that might also inform what's going on here:

Even though it hasn't been headquartered here for quite some time, the Presbyterian Church USA and its predecessors have a long history in Pennsylvania and Philadelphia. This used to be the location of the (Northern) Presbyterian publishing and Sunday School boards, and the Presbyterian Historical Society is located here was well.

Neither Gov. Josh Shapiro nor his predecessor, Tom Wolf, are Presbyterians, however.

I have returned to the fold even though I, baptized Presbyterian, became a confirmed Episcopalian at age 14. I now attend services at First Presbyterian Church in Germantown, whose associate pastor (part-time, and Stated Clerk of the Presbytery of Philadelphia the other part) is an old college buddy of mine.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:38 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I have returned to the fold even though I, baptized Presbyterian, became a confirmed Episcopalian at age 14. I now attend services at First Presbyterian Church in Germantown, whose associate pastor (part-time, and Stated Clerk of the Presbytery of Philadelphia the other part) is an old college buddy of mine.
My maternal grandmother was Methodist and my grandfather was Lutheran. But they couldn't agree on which church to send my mother and uncle to, so they split the difference and sent them to Presbyterian Sunday school and never got them baptized. Fast forward to the 50's, my mother was set to marry my father in a Catholic church, and one of the stipulations may have been that she had to at least be a baptized Christian, so she chose the Methodist church for that. But with the RC Church there's no splitting the baby, so my sisters and I were all baptized, confirmed, etc. as Catholics.

I think almost all mainstream religions in America are officially in favor of the sanctity of life in all its forms, but as a political and practical matter, none of that is handled by the clergy.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Neither Gov. Josh Shapiro nor his predecessor, Tom Wolf, are Presbyterians, however.
They are not. But Wolf entered the death penalty moratorium, and I don’t see Shapiro lifting it under any circumstances (and that’s perfectly fine by me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania