Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,608 times

Advertisements

My daughter recently had a wedding in Montana, which in turn brought my brother and his wife to Montana from Pennsylvania for the wedding. I drove from Palm Springs CA to Montana for the wedding, well what do you think was exchanged in Montana............. Of course Gobs!!!! and Snyders potato chips. The Gobs are a hit with my children who on many trips to PA couldn't get enough of the yummy chocolate cake with the best middle cream that was ever made. Yosts Bakery needs to expand!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I bought some Yost gobs during a recent visit to Johnstown. It was a real let down. The cake wasn't very good. The icing tasted awful, not at all what I remember gobs to be like. It was almost a chemical or medicinal taste. I was really disappointed. On the other hand, I really liked the raisin (stuffed) cookies that I think are also made by Yost.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Growing up I always ate home made gobs from bake sales or church picnics. I'm glad I didn't buy more gobs on my trip. (I bought 2 packs.) I ended up throwing out the gobs I brought home.

Now Tasty Kake on the other hand, those were great. I bought about 12 Tasty Kake pies and enjoyed every one of them.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,475 times
I was born and raised in Windber, PA. There is nothing like a homemade GOB. The store bought ones don't compare. I moved to Indiana years ago and brought the recipe with me, my friends here love them.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,449 times
My hubby's favorite are the Yost! We no longer live in Johnstown, but our daughter does and she gets them at Sheetz and brings them to us in WV 2-3 times a year. We make homemade ones as well, but I have yet to find a good filling recipe

Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,427 times
My husband and I both grew up in Johstown. We enjoy Gobs, Em's subs, and Coney Island. I make gobs here in Baltimore and no one knows what they are. They call them whoopie pies. When we visit relatives they always request that we bring gobs. The recipe I have for icing is sweet and yellow and good. It's 1 egg, 1# powdered sugar, 1 stick butter(margarine), 1 tsp. vanilla and salt to taste. I usually make a double batch of the cake part and 5 time this recipe for icing. I don't make them too big and I get 90-110 gobs in a double batch. I wrap them in wax paper and freeze them. So I almost always have some an hand.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Edwards View Post
I have been making the "Pennsylvania Gob", {which I recieved a trademark for the name in the year 2000} ,for some time now, and am somewhat confused with all the info about them. Seems like too many folks have recieved and are giving bad advice on how to make them and where they came from originally. I don't claim to be an expert on Gobs, but some folks are just way out there.
Your post was very interesting. Do you care to share any tips about making them?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Look familiar ? GOBS. "They eat em up".
Photos for Yost's Dutch Maid Bakery | Yelp

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

You can email yost dutch maid bakery in johnstown, pa for info on gobs & raisin cookies (prices & shipping cost). They do mail them & the holidays are not far off. I plan to order the original 1 dozen delicious gobs with the yellow icing this fall.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
You can email yost dutch maid bakery in johnstown, pa for info on gobs & raisin cookies (prices & shipping cost). They do mail them & the holidays are not far off. I plan to order the original 1 dozen delicious gobs with the yellow icing this fall.
It's been a while since I've had one of these (last time I visited my parents)... Thanks for the reminder as ironically I was just talking about gobs with my kids! Hmmm wonder if there's a market for Gobs in California?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Yosts dutch maid bakery email address.
gobsrus@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania