Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
P.A. has never been a post office abbreviation for Pennsylvania. There was a time when it was common to see Penna., Penn., then Pa., but never P.A. Where is the link proving that the post office does this or has ever done it?
When I send a letter to a place in Pennsylvania, I abbreviate the state as PA and I think 99% of everybody else also does this. Not positive that it's official, though I tend to think it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
How many other states do that? Immagine people saying "I'm from F.L.", or "I'm heading to C.A, or I'm from T.N.
When the abbreviation for Florida was "FLA" my relatives from Florida used to call it "Fla" (not the letters F.L.A. but as a word: "Fla"). My aunt was always saying "When are you coming to Fla to see us?!". When they changed it to FL, she was very disappointed, lol. She still calls it Fla, but sometimes jokes and just calls it "FL" (if you can sound that out, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
P.A. has never been a post office abbreviation for Pennsylvania. There was a time when it was common to see Penna., Penn., then Pa., but never P.A. Where is the link proving that the post office does this or has ever done it?
Sorry to tell you but it is indeed the official Post Office abbreviation. Several years ago, the US Postal Service changed all official abbreviations to 2 letters to make it all consistant since there were so many different ways to abbreviate different states.

Here they are, straight from the United States Postal Service:
United States Postal Service - Abbreviations (http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/usps_abbreviations.html - broken link)

You're right that there was a time when Penn. or Penna. was common but the official abbreviation is now PA and has been for something like 5-10 years. I can't remember exactly when they implimented the 2 letter abbreviations for all states but I do remember it happening because of my above story about Florida/FLA/FL.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM

160 posts, read 638,729 times
The post office made all the 2 letter state abbreviations official when they started using digital tech to sort mail. I know we all had state abbreviation charts in our cubicles as far back as the 80s when I was a programmer/analyst for one of the regional phone companies. Any abbreviation longer than 2 letters was flagged as bad data. Of course, there are always mix-ups with the abbreviations for Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, and Arizona. At least everyone knows PA is Pennsylvania.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 11,802 times
It starts with a "" and ends with an "A".

Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
A lot of people can't spell Pencilvainya.
So they just say what they are used to writing.
Pa.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
I refer to it as hell?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
And lots of people in eastern PA refer to New Jersey just as Jersey. As in "those Jersey drivers have to be the worst in the world"

Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 42,034 times
They say PA for the same reason people refer to Los Angeles as L.A. They are lazy. But then, if you go to england they abbreviate just about everything. Here in america you go to a pub to drink, but most people dont know they were called public houses but in england with their abbreviating everything, it went from public house to pubby, then to pub. It stuck.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 20,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
People from other parts of the country don't say PA - they say Pennsylvania. Only if they are from PA or the surrounding states. I've lived in TX for the past 17 years (grew up in PA) and when I tell people where I'm from I say Pennsylvania because I think if I said PA, they would say "Huh????"
I spent 18 years in the military...anyone from the states would understand me when I said I was from PA. It's the other nationals that say, "Huh?" Then I would say Pennsylvania, and they would say, "Transylvania?!" and I would say, "No, Penn-sylvania...Penn's woods..." Then their eyes glaze over until I would say, "USA...?"
Anyway, I think it's just the way people shorten everything they say. The military uses acronyms for everthing, e.g. S.N.A.F.U. instead of Situation Normal, All Fed Up, or F.U.B.A.R. instead of Fed Up Beyond All Recognition. These are from way before my time, though, as is "PA". I do a bit of genealogy and history research, and I've seen documents from the 19th Century listing Pennsylvania as "PA" (although not many). In fact, I wonder if the Postal Service decided to go with 2-letter abbreviations for all states because we already were so used to it here.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM

287 posts, read 549,000 times
I can't remember the last time I actually said "Virginia". I always say VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania