Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times

Advertisements

My question is a bit premature, since my house hasn't even been built yet, but I'll put it out there anyway. What kind of advice could anyone give me regarding landscaping options. I love gardening, but do not want to invest hard-earned money just to feed the deer population. I love going for the cheap at Home Depot or Lowes and patiently wait for shrubs to grow. Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 AM

49 posts, read 215,536 times
Here's a couple of web sites I go to;

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-l....x=11&name.y=4

http://michiganbulb.com/search.asp?ss=deer&x=9&y=11

I did a google search for plants or bushes and "Deer resistant"

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=pl...s=&safe=images

Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Thank you geoffs,
I'll be sure to check these sites out.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 138,110 times
Default Landscape smorgasbord

Spruce Trees are something the deer don't normally eat. The new Buck's will shine it's horns on a spruce tree from time to time. Usually the same tree over and over.

If you need to block a neighbor Spruce would be a way to go. They do make stuff to keep the deer away from your plants but for the most part they will eat it anyway.

Everything must eat..... You will see everything from mice, skunks, raccoon, beaver, rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs and deer munching on your landscape.

Wire enclosures work to give you a landscape feel without going broke replacing it every year.

Here are piuctures of Spruce Trees.

Have Fun,

AL
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaping-dsc02328.jpg   Landscaping-dscf0014.jpg  

Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
I second digitalwoodshops idea for spruce trees. I have an acre and we lined the rear of our property with spruce on all three sides..and no deer problems. Along the side we have lilac bushes .. some rabbit food, but not enough to damage or be noticable, unless you know where to look. Another popular plant are rhodadendrums (sp?) <-- probably butchered that!! They are very nice when in bloom. They have pink, white and I think I've even seen blue flowers. However, they do attract the bees!!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM

I'll be sure to give these recommendations a try. Funny thing about rhododendrums....could never get mine to bloom in New York. I guess it wasn't happy where I planted it. I love blue spruce trees and lilacs...no problem there. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania