Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times

Advertisements

Paul -

Yep, what Dawne said.

I've never seen Williamsport. It's a gorgeous town & the homes with the wrap-around porches are my favorites. They bring back fond childhood PA memories. Amazing to see all the different styles of homes there. I must take a trip there once I move back.

Thank you for another great tour. Remember that less views may mean something very simple, such as more folks taking vacations beginning in April or just being offline more in the spring/summers, particularly we of the frigid winter weather states. With not much more than a mere 12+ wks of warm, no coat weather here, you've gotta enjoy it while you can. Bickering is another thing that keeps me away from some forums. Fortunately, moderators are banning some of those folks. This should be a more congenial place, in everyone's best interest. I'm visiting several less, PA included. Perhaps that's the same with others, as I've seen mentioned in several state forums. So, just by default, they're missing your tours. Maybe there should be a seperate forum just for photo tours?

Perhaps you need a rest from it for awhile & should concentrate on enjoying your summer, visiting places you'd enjoy just for your own enjoyment & posting the pics when you get around to it. You've got a very full schedule with FT work/school & that can be exhausting for the heartiest of souls. If you're taking anything personally, you need to take a break, no matter what it is. I'm commenting more on my own personality & needs, but perhaps you're the same? Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

I assure you, many enjoy & appreciate your tours very much, but if I didn't see another for a few months, I'd just be happy & smiling that you're more than likely off & having fun. You'll get back to it at your leisure & maybe doing something like resigning youself to quarterly tours would be less pressure for you? It's beginning to sound like it's work for you & you currently have enough. Take it easy for awhile & folks will be chomping at the bit asking online about your next tour's expected date.

Do what's easiest & best for you & have fun... VV

P.S. Oops, can't give you any more rep points for your tour, but I'll be checking back again anyway. I'm one of the last bastion of dial-up account survivors, so need a few visits before all the pics download anyway. Someday, I'll catch up to the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate them after feeling "brow-beaten" by being chastised and admonished for another photo tour I did of West Pittston, PA, in which a resident of the town and WeLuvPA are apparently now teaming up to bash me. I might actually stop doing my photo tours altogether now. Not only are they eliciting less and less interest from people in terms of "views," but the interest they do seem to capture anymore seems to be spiteful. Why should I even bother driving so far out of the way all the time to do a photo tour that benefits nobody and does nothing but irk others?

I think I'm moreso just upset right now to hear that WeLuvPA is going behind my back to bash me with another new member after I thought he and I were finally extending an olive branch by my attendance at last week's Scranton city council meeting, my photo tour of the Daron bio-health hazard in his neighborhood, and my upcoming attendance at this week's meeting. Apparently, that was a fluke, so any attempt at "breaking bread" is over between us.

If you people don't want these photo tours to continue, then you've all got your wish!

Paul...what you do here is a help for a LOT of folks looking to move to NEPA!!! The helpful hints, the enthusiasm & of course the photo tours!!

There are a lot of folks that do not reply or are unregistered members who read & value these things & who you've helped immensely!! I myself enjoy your photo tours mainly for the fact there's not a palm tree in any picture!!

At this point though I think you're letting other people's cynicism & other people's projection of their frustration affect you. (that olive branch has been going back & forth for quite some time & is looking a bit withered!!) To me this means "take a break" & enjoy the short summer up there!!!

Daniel has internal issues he needs to deal with that are crystal clear to me but not so to him & he's his own worst enemy at this time. I'm not siding with anyone, but just saying what I percieve Daniel so don't take this as an attack.

Paul, for all your bravado & cheefulness you also have issues to deal with as far as your self-confidence & frustration. Take some time for doing things for PAUL as opposed to for other folks or agendas. Maybe take a trip out of the area to somewhere totally different (Ca, the Caribbean, Charleston, Bahamas, etc) to give you perspective & a new slant on NEPA.

I'd hate to see it come down to "no more photo tours" because of burn-out when I think you enjoy doing them as much as people enjoy seeing them.

Now that I've yammered on, I hope the summer brings you happiness & revitalization Paul (you too Daniel) & take time for YOU!!

God bless!!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 16,423 times
Default great city this williamsport pa

I loved all the pictures of this great city ...i have a few more to add...you got pictures of the houses on both sides of my house but none of mine. So i will add these photos to the tour. 1023 west fourth street was built in 1984 for the Lawshe family ...it is still a single family house on millionaires row, there are very few singles left most have become businesses or student housing .....I think i saw you the day you took these pictures, I was in my front yard...so i will add this ...it is a queen anne stick built. I also have a grat picture from a roof top down town at night...enjoy

thanks for your interest in our city and the area it is really appreciated
melinda
Attached Thumbnails
Williamsport Photo Tour-westmark-snow.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-front-porch-2.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-house-front-snow.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-porch-lounge.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-front-porch-pix.jpg  

Williamsport Photo Tour-westmark.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-our-house-1.jpg   Williamsport Photo Tour-our-city-night.jpg  

Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Hey there Melinda! Sorry I missed your home! As I said, I had to cut my tour short because I maxed out my memory space on my digital camera. I suppose I could have run to Wal-Mart to buy another memory card, but now I have an excuse to take a second road trip from Scranton on out to beautiful Billtown via the rural, relaxing Route 118! I actually do remember seeing your home when I was in town, and I must compliment you on how well-kept it appeared to be. Perhaps I'll see you the next time I'm in town?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,841 times
Simply awesome !! I bought a second house in Montoursville about a year ago after falling in love with the Williamsport area. I will retire there soon. Keep up the pictures they are great. Ignore the few naysayers. Your work and narratives are great.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,423 times
Default thank you

scranton wilk
No complaints about missing my house it is hard to photograph in the summer or spring with the flowering cherry trees and shrubs out front ...you will notice my pix are taken in the snow so you can see some of the details on the house ....I agree with the other man forget the people who bo ho over this that or the other ...the pictures are great as are the comments and the research is wonderful....

"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Keep up the good work
Melinda

Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,110 times
Thumbs up Williamsport City Tour

Great Tour! I drive down those streets often and have become accustomed to the scale, colors and styles of these beautiful homes. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,115 times
To Paul from a Paul,
You are providing a great service just getting these photos on to the web for others to find in a search. Generations will be looking for old photos on the future web of where they lived just as I searched and searched until I found a person in Forty Fort to take photos of the street where we lived. I paid him to do that. There may be folks from around the world who would pay you to take photos of their old neighborhood or house where they lived for anniversary parties or family web pages. My brothers and I certainly enjoyed your photos of Williamsport and Scranton where we lived. So please disregard the crazy rants of people who don't know any better. Painfully, it comes with a wide open and free internet. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your work. You do it well so forget those people who will leave nothing to the world but meanness and record our history with your camera. You will be thanked by generations to come.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,037 times
Thumbs up Homesick

Your photo shoot made me so homesick. Lived in Williamsport almost my whole life until I came to Harrisburg with my husband 4 years ago. You were right about one thing for sure: NATIVE Willliamsporters do take great pride in their city. Most of us know more than a smattering of local history and enjoy tooting our own horns about our home! Just a side note: 912 and 949-951 West Fourth Street were built by my great-great uncles. The 3rd floor of 949 was once entirely taken up by a ball room! Next time you go back, be sure to visit the Taber Museum and see the portrait of Nellie Tallman. It falls of the wall unless it is placed across from a Rosen still-life. (Rosen was her father's teacher and she died while here father was painting the portrait.)

Looking forward to more pics!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM

67 posts, read 132,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate them after feeling "brow-beaten" by being chastised and admonished for another photo tour I did of West Pittston, PA, in which a resident of the town and WeLuvPA are apparently now teaming up to bash me. I might actually stop doing my photo tours altogether now. Not only are they eliciting less and less interest from people in terms of "views," but the interest they do seem to capture anymore seems to be spiteful. Why should I even bother driving so far out of the way all the time to do a photo tour that benefits nobody and does nothing but irk others?

I think I'm moreso just upset right now to hear that WeLuvPA is going behind my back to bash me with another new member after I thought he and I were finally extending an olive branch by my attendance at last week's Scranton city council meeting, my photo tour of the Daron bio-health hazard in his neighborhood, and my upcoming attendance at this week's meeting. Apparently, that was a fluke, so any attempt at "breaking bread" is over between us.

If you people don't want these photo tours to continue, then you've all got your wish!
Quote from auntlucy. I think your photos are beautiful. I appreciate you taking the time, for everyones enjoyment, to travel, to take, and then to post, photos of places that we have not seen or cannot visit at present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania