Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times

Advertisements

Actually Pensacola is well known for its religious bent. I personally saw people carrying crosses across the causeway bridge and was solicited numberous times downtown. And this blurb from a current resident:

Sandi Magathan lives in Pensacola Florida with her family. Pensacola is known as one of the most conservative cities in the U.S and home to Scarborough Country. “Since I’ve lived here we’ve had one school board member jailed, four out of five county commissioners brought up on criminal charges, several abortion clinic bombings, two abortion doctors killed, and 51 stellar members of the community arrested in a huge cocaine bust. The beaches, however, are beautiful.” Ms. Magathan is an author who has an M.A. in Religious studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 PM

77 posts, read 480,896 times
Maybe not, I do visit Pcola a few times every month and I have never seen a religious activists in the area. I normally stop by the old Palafox, nine mile road, and the Navy side of town.....Many churches in the area, will fit everyone if you are looking for a church...
That's because you went too far north. They are on practically every street corner along N Davis Hwy south of the 10. They are especially prevalent downtown where N Palafox meets Garden St and along the Bayfront Parkway.

About 90% of the churches in the area are mostly Southern Baptist

Old 06-17-2007, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 27,526 times
So, would you not recommend Pensacola for a single woman, 29 years old? I was possibly thinking about moving to Pensacola, but have no clue as to what type of people live there. I am moving from Dallas. Any suggestions?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 27,526 times
This is very helpful information. I don't think I will be moving to Pensacola now! Thank you!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 25,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Actually Pensacola is well known for its religious bent. I personally saw people carrying crosses across the causeway bridge and was solicited numberous times downtown. And this blurb from a current resident:

Sandi Magathan lives in Pensacola Florida with her family. Pensacola is known as one of the most conservative cities in the U.S and home to Scarborough Country. “Since I’ve lived here we’ve had one school board member jailed, four out of five county commissioners brought up on criminal charges, several abortion clinic bombings, two abortion doctors killed, and 51 stellar members of the community arrested in a huge cocaine bust. The beaches, however, are beautiful.” Ms. Magathan is an author who has an M.A. in Religious studies.

one of the most conservative cities in the US? ?hahahah, not close. it's very conservative, but not to the extreme.. it's a big enough town to feel slightly liberal, but has a small town feel. I'll give you one thing, Pensacola, for whatever reason is not progressive when it comes to developments. and another, when were those several abortion bombings?? I know the doctors were killed, like 10 years ago. and Scarborough Country? Joe, is conservative (fiscally, anyways) and actually very moderate (maybe even slightly liberal) on social issues... definitely not the most conservative show on the air.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 AM

245 posts, read 765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topropeprincess View Post
Cantonment is nice, but I don't like the bad smell of the Paper Mill. It is constant. And, the schools aren't as good as others. Now this is just my opinion, I don't want to ruffle any feathers.
Heck, if you think it's bad now, you should have smelled it twenty years ago. That was something.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 25,132 times
Default not that bad

[quote=Navshirereeve;840485]There are three distinct populations in Pensacola. One is military as the Naval Air Station is on the southwestern edge of Pensacola. Lots of retired Navy folks there. The second part is very old south. As you venture towards the fringes, with the exception of the NE and far west areas, you find very many poor people. The third group in Pensacola is very religious. You can find religious activists on the corners with loudspeakers and bibles, people carrying crosses, etc. If you are not any of these 3 groups, especially the last one, you may have a tough time fitting in.[/Q

Pensacola is awesome. I would hate to live like most yuppies in that Utopia they think exsists where everyone is the same. ( I do live in yuppie land and hate it and no we are not poor) God forbid someone be poor or religious. (and gasp- there is a gay community) I own a summerhome in Gulf Breeze and can't wait to retire there.
As far as the loudspeaker cross people, I have only seen them once. They were protesting a nudie bar. (Made for an entertaining wait to get into McGuires)

Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 25,132 times
Default yuppie land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvj5 View Post
I've heard wonderful things about Daphne.
don't forget your american eagle. to many wannabes. way more aggrevating than the old, poor, religous, and people that like to think for themselves.:eek :

Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc123 View Post
don't forget your american eagle. to many wannabes. way more aggrevating than the old, poor, religous, and people that like to think for themselves.:eek :
Pensacola is not awesome. The humidity is way higher than the rest of Florida.

Your posts are silly. Very religious people think for themselves....ummm....that is the exact opposite of the truth. 94% of Americans are religious...so, atheists would be people that think differently than the group. And the military die hards think for themselves...no, they are great at conforming to orders, that is what makes their system work.

I lived in Pensacola. We were swarmed many times by prophets when we walked the streets. And the military people were nice, but they have their very close knit groups. And by poor south we mean rebel flag in your face people. See a PA license plate and flip you the bird type guys.

And it is very conservative, abortion doctors have been killed there. There is a dangerous religious fanatic presence in Pensacola, just under the surface. The Pensacola Christian College is a very powerful force in town and is extreme.

Pensacola Christian College at Relentless Grace (http://www.brianbaute.com/archives/2006/03/pensacola-christian-college.php - broken link)

That is why those of us who lived there said it can be a tough place to fit in if you are not one of those three groups.

Last edited by JimKing; 08-02-2007 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Pensacola, Escambia County -- Most likely, the name is a derivations of Pansfalaya, an Indian tribe. The Choctaw called them the "long-haired people."

I live about 20 -25 miles from Pcola and I do like the area. Like any other town has positives and negatives. The town has kept the old or antique look from the early days by the port, the Navy population is very large because of the training mission and does have a multitude of ethnics group.

This is a very diversified city that wants to go forward but likes to maintain the small town feel. So far in 10 years I have not found any problems, have friends in town and they like the area and won't relocate.

My advice do your research, call the police department and find the actual crime statistics, check the county property tax or appraiser web-site and see what is the selling price and the area that people are buying (you will be surprised). See map

Map of Pensacola, FL by MapQuest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola