Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

My question would be if you're talking Pensacola specifically or the broader western to central panhandle area. Because I'd pick Niceville over any place west of Tallahassee just in general, but the commute from the Ft. Walton-Crestview-Niceville area to Pensacola proper would make it a no-go if you're talking employment in the Pensacola city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 20,240 times
The job would be in Pensacola so I think we would want to live close to that area. Are there a lot of things to do in Pensacola area?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerslp View Post
The job would be in Pensacola so I think we would want to live close to that area. Are there a lot of things to do in Pensacola area?
If you selected Pace or Milton youd be within a 20 min. drive to Pensacola borderline via I-10 . Crestview or Baker is within 40 min. via I-10 . Niceville , 70 min. via Route 85 to I-10 . Ft. Walton Beach, about the same via Route 98 . My opinion is there is alot to do in the Pensacola larger area taking into account Pensacola, Navarre, Ft. Walton, Destin, Niceville, ValParaiso, Crestview, Pace , and Milton. Heres what ive gathered in the 6 months ive lived here :

Destin / Ft. Walton : Medium sized towns. Commonly referred to as :''The PLayground" for the variety of things to do . Great Seafood and Steak Restaurants especially on the Coast overlooking the Harbors . Good nightlife in Destin particularly. Alot of water sports in both towns incl. Parasailing ; local cruises , local Charter Fishing Boats . Outdoor live music especially in the spring/summer/fall months along the Coast . Alot of restaurants have indoor live music year round. Beaches are first class ; Gulf Water temp. is typically 84-86 f. in the summer and very clear . Destin Commons Shopping Center is unique . Lots of outdoor Festivals spring thru fall . Destin HarborWalk is popular , romantic, with speciality shops and a few nice nautical-theme restaurants. Big Seafood Festival (held last weekend) at The HarborWalk with live Rock Bands and tons of Vendors. HUGE fish are caught off of Destin -- this spring a 742 lb. Blue Marlin was reeled in ; took the guy 8 hours to reel it in . Classic car shows in the area. Convention Center for top name Entertainers.

Navarre : Small town but has a nice barrier island and beach with outdoor Festival and live music each thursday night. Quaint area.

Gulf Breeze : Small town. Quaint .

Niceville : Small town with Popular annual Mullet Festival (next weekend) with big name Entertainers like Kenny Rogers or Billy Cyrus . Couple of good Chinese Buffet Restaurants. Tube down spring-fed Turkey Creek for 45 min. Big Halloween festival downtown with 2-3,000 showing up and lots of games, etc. for the kids.

Crestview : Medium sized town . Couple of Festivals thruout the year, nice Parks , limited shopping and limited fine dining. Blackwater State Forest nearby good for Camping and canoeing.

Pace and Milton : Medium size towns that sort of blend into one another . Historic downtown area for Milton . On Friday nights : small festivals and classic car shows . Good shopping in Pace . BlackWater State Park nearby which is nice for sunbathing, tubing, canoeing, and camping in the woods.

Pensacola : Big town. Nice beach with live outdoor music each Tuesday night. Few festivals thruout the year. A few decent restaurants.

(The above is not an exhaustive list of entertainment ; Im finding new things to do and see practically each week) .

Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
It's not NYC, but Pensacola has a decent selection of museums, performing arts, entertainment, and spectator (minor league hockey and baseball D2 college) and participant sports. The Civic Center is laso a regular stop for mid-sized concert tours.

Excellent beaches- some rowdy, some pretty secluded.

It's as Old South as you get in Florida- some people like that; some people don't.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Also, go to : www.destin.com and www.fortwaltonbeach.com for things to do .

Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 11,294 times
Default What about Bellview

My grandparents lived and owned businesses in the Bellview area and I spent summers there growing up. It was a good neighborhood then. I haven't been to the neighborhood lately (years) grandma lives here with my mom now. However thinking of going to PJC and live in grandma's home while I'm there. This would help my family of six offset the cost of my school. husband is an RN but I do have 3 children. They would have to go to Bellview elem and middle schools.Can you tell me anything about these schools. Looking up info in school site also. If schools don't measure up for my kids I'll just forget the whole thing.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 22,071 times
Do not move to Pensacola if you are looking for those qualities. This is a very poor area and it has a horrible public school system.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 22,071 times
Baptist hospital is in the ghetto. Commuting from Daphne, Alabama would be the best bet if you really want a nice area void of lots of poor people. Pensacola is known as the armpit of the emerald coast.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,694 times
Pensacola is pretty much the same as every other area in the Mobile Pensacola area.
It has its good and bad areas. Don't listen to what the Alabamian says. Alabama has its pro and cons.
Daphne is just a suburb of Mobile. Watch the news from there and you will find that Pensacola has a much lower crime rate, with all its poor folks.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcolaguy View Post
Pensacola is pretty much the same as every other area in the Mobile Pensacola area.
It has its good and bad areas. Don't listen to what the Alabamian says. Alabama has its pro and cons.
Daphne is just a suburb of Mobile. Watch the news from there and you will find that Pensacola has a much lower crime rate, with all its poor folks.
I suppose you think Pensacola and Pace are the same too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola