Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Yes the Op can contact anyone on the forum for assistance. Plenty of people with sources and remote ideas.

I see a Mildred May Galvin (born 1920 died 2002) born in West Va. and died in Maryland, married name Sechrist.

So Mildred M. Connelly was not John's mother.

However there is still this lingering factual document from 1969.
Why did this Mildred end up as their personal representative and what is her middle name?
I suspect your hunch is correct, and John's wife survived him and became his mother's executor after his death.

But, it's not the right Mildred. John's wife was born in 1918 according to Census records.

Mr Skin's mom was born in 1928, as confirmed by both Census records and the date of birth he has for her from his birth certificate.

Regarding sharing a photo of his birth certificate in an internet forum, I would caution him against doing so. In this day of identity theft, it would not be wise to share one's birth certificate online. However, if there's something specific you need (such as his Mom's signature) perhaps Mr Skin could send you a copy privately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 AM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I suspect your hunch is correct, and John's wife survived him and became his mother's executor after his death.
But, it's not the right Mildred. John's wife was born in 1918 according to Census records.
John A. Connelly died 1966 leaving behind his wife (Mildred M. Connelly) and son John A. Jr.
His wife died in 1968.
When his wife died "Mildred M. Galvin" was Mrs. Connelly's will executor.
She was appointed my Mrs. before her death or by Mrs. son John, Jr. or volunteered.
Why is an important question. And why was John Jr. not the executor.
Since John Jr. should have been about age 30 if he was born (around 1938) when his mother was age 20 (b1918) and his father was age 22 (b1916)

Old 11-02-2017, 01:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Mildred was Baptized at St. Peter and Paul's Church in Waterbury, CT. I do not know when. Waterbury Vital Statistics had made a notation on her birth cert. that they had received a copy of it and dated it June 27, 1944.

I was baptized, don't recall when. First Holy Communion was made in Michigan, as my dad and step-mom had moved there for work (Short time maybe three years) then back to Connecticut. My Confirmation was in Waterbury, CT.

The fact that Mildred was Baptized at a Catholic Church leads me to believe they were all raised Catholic although as I mentioned they were put in homes at a young age and may not have been raised that way.

Interesting side note: Handwritten notation on my Mom"s birth cert. copy indicates that a copy was mailed to New York on 10/29/59. Does not say where in New York. Timing relatively close to the Travel from Cuba. Interesting!
I missed the bolded the first time around Mr Skin.

I agree with you that the timing of the birth certificate request (mailed to NY on October 29 1959) and the November 9 1959 travel date from Havana is interesting.

The birth certificate request is only a week before she flew home from Havana.

It suggests a couple of possibilities:

Possibility 1: Mildred was living in NY and planning a trip to Cuba, but needed her birth certificate as proof of citzenship in order to travel to and from Cuba. But, it would have been a VERY short trip. If the notation says her certificate was mailed to NY on October 29, that means it would have arrived in NY a few days later. Let's say she got it in hand by Nov 1 and flew to Cuba immediately, then came home on Nov 9. If that is the case, then that gives us a timeline to see if there is any record of travel TO Cuba during that approximate time. So far, I haven't found any travel records TO Cuba for her, let alone in that time period.

But it is a possibility that she took a short vacation to Cuba that first week of November. But, again, why would an American single woman take a vacation in a country that is in the midst of a lot of chaos after a revolution? I've done some reading on Cuba after Castro's take over, and by the end of 1959, he and his troops were also taking over all U.S. owned business interests in Cuba, including hotels. It's not the type of place that I'd envision a young single American woman heading off to for a short vacation.

Possibility 2: Mildred was already in Cuba in October 1959. In order to get out of Cuba and back home, she needed to get a copy of her birth certificate because she didn't have a passport. In looking through the records of the other passengers on that flight, I notice that all but a small handful had passport numbers written into their Visa forms. The small handful who didn't included Mildred, Esperanza Hecker and Nannette Hecker.

It could be that Mildred, stuck in Cuba, could not have her birth certificate mailed directly to Cuba. So, maybe it was sent to a friend or associate in NY or even to a consulate in NYC to be brought or given to her in Cuba so she could get out.

I'm biased towards number 2 because it aligns with my hunch that your mother *may* have spent an extended period of time in Cuba during the 1950s, and only left after it was clear that the Castro regime was not going to be favorable to Americans continuing to live there.

But, this scenario also raises a question: If your mother was in Cuba before October 29 1959, how did she get INTO Cuba without a birth certificate or passport?

And again, why is there no record of her travel TO Cuba at any point?

Just thinking out loud, but let's also think about how Esperanza and Nanette also ended up in Cuba without birth certificates or passports, and no record that I've found of their travel TO Cuba.

We know that Esperanza Hecker and Nanette traveled to and from Puerto Rico several times in the late 40s/50s, always giving the same address on their travel documents. So, it's possible, I suppose that they may have been able to travel from there to Cuba in some way without any travel document showing the travel.

For instance, if they traveled on a Cuban airline, it might not be recorded. Or perhaps the only records for travel INTO Cuba were kept on the Cuban side, and those are not in the usual online places (like Ancestry).

In any case, as I said, my hunch is Scenario 2 is closer to the truth than Scenario 1. It would explain, for instance, why there is no record whatsoever of your mother in the U.S. between your birth and her return from Cuba.

It won't of course, answer the question of where she was AFTER 1959, but figuring out that time period might hold some clues to that as well. I am sure you would be interested to fill in at least that gap in her life too.

Rosie

Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 PM

197 posts, read 196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Mildred's father was William Edward Galvin, son of Joseph E & Annie B Galvin--grocers & meat market owners.
Both Annie B & Joseph's parents were born on Ireland. (Their children in 1910 census: Wm E, Mildred's C, Edward, Milton J)

Naugatuck Daily Jan 14, 1960, page 5
Civil suit removed from docket of Superior Court: Mildred Galvin, Naugatuck (CT) appeal from probate the estate of Annie B Galvin. (I speculate this is Annie's daughter, not your Mildred, but her aunt Mildred.)

1960 Obit--William E Galvin
30 April 1960, Bridgeport, CT
Survived by:
son-Wm E Galvin, Jr
daug- Mrs Robert Brophy of Wolcott, CT
daug- Mrs Frank Feroleto (this is Eleanor)
daug- Mrs David Russell, Jr (this is Margaret --Marge)
bro- Edward Galvin
sis- Mildred Galvin
&Eight grandchildren

2006 Obit--Marge Russell (Galvin) Aug 1, 1932- July 39, 2006 Fairfield, CT
bro- William Galvin of Monroe, CT
sis- Maryann Newcomb, Grafton, Vermont
sis- Eleanor Feroleto, Fairfield, CT

Children of William E & Jennie (Ney) Galvin
from 1930 census:
1Edward
2Donald
3Marie
4Catherine
5Mildred

Then, 6Margaret May (Marge) b1932...see below

Naugatuck Daily, p11, June 14, 1957
Engagement announcement for Margaret May Galvin, daughter of William Edward Galvin of Bridgeport and late Mrs Galvin....to marry David Wm Russell, Jr....she granddaughter of Annie B Galvin of Meadow Street and late Joseph E. Galvin. To be married June 29 St Augustine's Cathedral, Bridgeport...
[this is Mary Galvin age 6 living in 1940 census with Annie B age 62, and Mildred 35.]

Extra info:
Edward Galvin born 1919 on WWII draft info gave nearest relative Katherine Morgan as his grandmother. I found her listed as Kathryn Morgan born Ireland age 72, widow in 1940 Waterbury census.

Questions:
How many children were there?

Is Maryann Newcomb the Marie born abt 1924?

Is Eleanor another daughter
or is she Catherine or Marie or even Mildred from 1930 census?

Which daughter is Mrs Robert Brophy of Wolcott in 1960?--it's not Eleanor nor Marge

The correct Galvin Family is the one listed in the 1930 census of Waterbury, CT at 67 Eastwood ave. I know where a bouts of all except Mildred. Her name on my birth cert. is Mildred May Galvin age 20 at the time of my birth in 1948. I have 100% proof that this is the family. I also know that Marie is actually Jean Marie. Sons were Edward Francis, Donald C. and other sister was Catherine, no middle name found. There were 5 children in all.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

Mr Skin's mom was born in 1928, as confirmed by both Census records and the date of birth he has for her from his birth certificate.

Regarding sharing a photo of his birth certificate in an internet forum, I would caution him against doing so. In this day of identity theft, it would not be wise to share one's birth certificate online. However, if there's something specific you need (such as his Mom's signature) perhaps Mr Skin could send you a copy privately?

I have no intention of posting copies of either mine or my mother's birth certificate. I am open to questions about various said documents. This whole journey to find my birth mother started simply with info from my birth certificate. I do not have a copy of her signature as the birth cert. only was signed by the doctor. Even if I had it I would hesitate to share it as I do not know if she is still alive.

Last edited by Mr Skin; 11-02-2017 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2017, 02:41 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Is it possible they were on a church mission when she got stuck there?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The correct Galvin Family is the one listed in the 1930 census of Waterbury, CT at 67 Eastwood ave. I know where a bouts of all except Mildred. Her name on my birth cert. is Mildred May Galvin age 20 at the time of my birth in 1948. I have 100% proof that this is the family. I also know that Marie is actually Jane Marie. Sons were Edward Francis, Donald C. and other sister was Catherine, no middle name found. There were 5 children in all.
Corrected to : Jane Marie

Old 11-02-2017, 05:07 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
I am open to questions about various said documents.
Has it been posted or can you post the address in Windham, NY or send by DM?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Is it possible they were on a church mission when she got stuck there?
I suppose it is possible, but I have no idea. Maybe something to look into. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Has it been posted or can you post the address in Windham, NY or send by DM?
No address given. Just a notation that a copy was sent, I assume it was from Waterbury. There is a file number on it

10/29/59
Mailed to New York
MS

I typed it out as the notation was hand written on the back of Mildred's birth certificate. Some minor research I have done indicates that the 1st five numbers is the storage location and second five numbers may be the actual file number. No address given as to where in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search