Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times

Advertisements

Where I live, there are no street beggars. A couple times a year, someone walking by me the opposite way will ask for a cigarette, but I honestly say I don't smoke.

If anybody asks for money, though, I'd as likely as not give them some, assuming they need it more than I do, and it's not a very expensive way to win yourself a good night's sleep. Even professional panhandlers, it's a full-time job, it's not easy, it doesn't pay very well, and it's more honorable than telemarkeing or law, or increasingly, even journalism. (Seen in that light, I even respect Nigerian online scammers.)

The above is from the American perspective. In third world countries, middle-class people always give their small change to beggars, and it is recognized as an important part of the distribution of wealth in an economy where there is a deep divide between the haves and the have-nots. When traveling abroad, I do the same. However, I ignore them in areas frequented by tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,482,948 times
I used to.

Then I didn't have cash one day and offered to buy food (with my credit card) since the dude's sign said he needed money bc he was 'hungry.' I got treated...er...very rudely for that suggestion.

Then, working in the ED has taught me how many of these people are total scam artists...we have found a lot of money on a lot of them when they are brought in.

In some cities (like Austin), it's an industry. And we've seen people fake having injuries (one dude pretending he needed his wheelchair and then got up and walked right in front of us to pick up a bill that had flown away).

You're better off donating to the shelters and food banks. Real people with real needs will access those.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 AM

191 posts, read 947,361 times
No, I don't. I don't feel as sympathetic toward adults living on the street especially if there are opportunities for them to get help through public assistance (soup kitchens, free services, etc). You never know what they're going to do with the money (i.e. drugs/booze). Sorry if that sounds heartless.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,563,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
So, do you?

And why?
To some I do. However, that has stopped because it is illegal to give money for those in the corners asking for money from people in their cars waiting for the green light.

Most of the ones I give is the old ladies. The young people what I have done is offer them a meal. In some cases they refuse it because they actually want for cigarettes or beer, take care.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,195,245 times
I think it be better to pick up that extra bagel or donut/coffee that you do for yourself and hand it to them. Or else when you make your lunch it takes 10 seconds extra to make another one. When you clean out a closet or get rid of a blanket? Drop it.

I became homeless when my Mom's mental illness got really bad. I mainly wanted food. But, I think more people have qualms about handing over money....where is it going???? Booze, drugs, cigs???? Give, but in a way that you won't question. It is ALL appreciated. Then again, so is a smile and a genuine question if that person "needs" something. Why not be the bearer of a welcomed gesture that the person never hoped to have. It meant "they" mattered.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

You're better off donating to the shelters and food banks. Real people with real needs will access those.

Sorry. I've known people who really were in desperate need for food, shelter, help, and when they went to shelters and food banks for help, they were turned away. They have no more room, no stocks of food left, no staff to provide it, waiting lists for services, etcetcetc.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,749,496 times
I give to our local food bank, but I'll also give to most panhandlers if they ask and I have some change or a dollar or two. There is one woman who has panhandled locally for as long as I can remember and I gave her a dollar once "for the bus" and she asked for another dollar because she said bus fare was $2, which wasn't true. Honestly, I don't know how she's managed to stay alive as long as she has because she's skinny and strung out looking and smells awful. I now avoid her if I can. There are also some professional panhandlers that sit at the edge of a shopping center parking lot and I don't give to them. I hate for people to come up to the car.

But other than those situations, I generally try to help out if possible, and I don't worry if people are spending it on drugs or alcohol.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,749,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I think it be better to pick up that extra bagel or donut/coffee that you do for yourself and hand it to them. Or else when you make your lunch it takes 10 seconds extra to make another one. When you clean out a closet or get rid of a blanket? Drop it.

I became homeless when my Mom's mental illness got really bad. I mainly wanted food. But, I think more people have qualms about handing over money....where is it going???? Booze, drugs, cigs???? Give, but in a way that you won't question. It is ALL appreciated. Then again, so is a smile and a genuine question if that person "needs" something. Why not be the bearer of a welcomed gesture that the person never hoped to have. It meant "they" mattered.
First, glad you're not homeless anymore. May you always have a roof over your head and food in the pantry.

You reminded me of a time where I was walking into a local convenience store and a man was outside squatting against the wall. I asked him if he'd like a cup of coffee and a taco and I'll never forget the smile and nod I got in return.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
No but I do buy them food/coffee. I cant control what they spend money on but at least I know I warmed their belly and provided them sustenance for a least another day or so. I also carry around cards with phone number and address of the multi denominational shelter I support.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,171,789 times
I just started a thread about this in the Indiana forum. I have seen a huge up tick in panhandlers in my area. I have observed people working in shifts. Looks like a ring of scam artists to me.

Lots of religious folks where I live and I think these scam artists have found a good gig here. Most stand right in the middle of a busy street which I feel the police need to intervene. My husband brought up a good point. We have had about a 100 inches of snow this year. He said if these folks were really starving, then picking up a shovel and shoveling walks would have been a good way to earn some cash. I am not naive to think that everyone gets help at shelters but I also know begging is easy money for some, especially when so many offer money out of the goodness of their christian heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance