Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Alot of companies (laborer) won't hire diabetics, it's too much of a risk.
They ask him about his diabetes before they hire him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I don't think they can ask that

Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM

193 posts, read 541,665 times
Illegal to ask about it and shouldn't even be brought up unless he knows it will interfere with his work. Plenty of people are type I (and type II insulin dependent) diabetics.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Sounds like bankruptcy might be the route to go.

The collections companies talk tough "or else" but frankly there isn't a whole lot they can do to him.

I'd explain to them that they can either work with him or he will declare bankruptcy. IF they are savy they will stop bluffing at that point.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,634,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

In certain jobs where having diabetes is high risk, they can ask on the application. He is not obligated to check yes but during a pre-employ physical, they are going to find out. If you are going to be driving, running or operating heavy equipment or working with machinery, it is a huge risk if blood sugars aren't under control.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,028,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The collections companies talk tough "or else" but frankly there isn't a whole lot they can do to him.
Very true. A wage garnishment can't happen without a court judgement. So if he truly can't afford to pay, he needs to ingore the collections agencies as best he can unless it is a summons to court. If that happens (pretty unlikely) he must show up (with an attorney if at all possible), otherwise its just best to have some thick skin. If and when he gains the financial capacity to repay, he shouldn't immediate agree to a repayment plan. He should sock some money away in savings until he has a fairly substantial amount (say at least 1/3 of the debt). At that point he should seek to make a one-time payment as a settlement-in-compromise.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
That is what bankrupy is for ;just such cases.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Very interesting-if my son had the extra $1000 to pay for the food and supplements lol-I do believe that what you put into the body can reverse/slow certain diseases. My son is a firm believer in cinnamon. Uses it on everything and has noticed more stable blood sugars. Thanks for the link.
I also have more concerns about his medical condition. If he can get that under control, his future financial condition and general quality of life will be a lot better. And it doesn't take an extra $1000 for supplements.

The cure for most (not all, but probably 90%) diabetes is to eat truly healthy foods and to eat foods low on the glycemic index.

There is a great book on the subject here:

Amazon.com: Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs: Neal D. Barnard: Books

Just take a look at the reviews on Amazon....Just about anyone who actually followed this guy's (reasonable) program was able to reduce or eliminate their diabetes meds.

And yes, you are right...cinnamon has been shown to stabilize blood sugar. There are many other foods that can also help.

It's so unfortuate that so much of the food we eat in America has no nutritional value. We're going to go bankrupt paying for our health care costs because of it.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,241,672 times
I agree with some here that recommend that he file for BK. He's still young and has many years to rebuild credit. If his income is low enough he could qualify for Chapter 7 and get most of that debt discharged/written off.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,557,712 times
Yeah.. I don't understand the people who are suggesting to ignore it until he's taken to court. Its well and easy to say "just have thick skin" - but it doesn't sound like he's that type, or his mom wouldn't be here looking for help. I know when my husband had credit issues early in our marriage - the calls/letters are extremely stress-inducing -- and my husband didn't even have that many bills or that much outstanding debt.

If your son were in his 40's (or even 30's) and a bankruptcy would stain his career or prevent him from getting a house for his family or any number of other things -- I would say do whatever you can to prevent that.

But he's 20. He'll be out of bankruptcy before most people are even starting their adult lives. And - again - if he has no other way to make more money and he has no way to reduce his current expenses, he doesn't really have many other options.

Except of course to put his head in the sand and wait for them to take him to court and garnish his wages.

Good luck to him - I hope he's able to stay healthy (the stress of this can't be helping) and that he's eventually able to get out from under this debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance