Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
personally, i like my terms better, but this would be a nice supplemental card to get 5% back on more categories.
Yeah, that's not bad, but I too, like the terms of my own card better. I get a flat 2% on everything all year long. In fact, just yesterday I received $172 based on my previous month's charges.

But that Chase card wouldn't be bad to use for certain purchases at various times of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
you can't even get into a decent SUV without paying high $20k/low $30k
i dont think thats accurate.

but if you have the money for it, it isnt wasteful to buy something that you would enjoy.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're just trying to fit an example into your opinion. There's plenty of reasons to spend money on cars, other than socioeconomic status. Also, a $70,000 car isn't insanely expensive... it's not a lambo or anything, and not worth making a big deal about. In NJ, we spend a lot of time in cars, so having comfortable vehicles are common.
As I said, people will have their "reasons", but it comes down to status symbols. In terms of tangible benefits the $70k car doesn't provide double the benefits of the $30k car, in fact there are likely to be few if any tangible benefits beyond the $30k car. Its a classic case of price discrimination, one that is driven by people's need for status displays.

I have no issue with people buying things for their tangible benefits, its the "luxury" items that are purchased for status that is bothersome.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
so a person isn't capable of following a budget with a car if they finance it, but they are capable of overcoming what most people fall victim of by use of plastic? interesting. you're selectively picking what pyschology lessons are possible to overcome.
No, I'm not selectively picking, I've already pointed out the key difference you are just choosing to ignore it. The difference is the time frame, in the case of the credit card the bill is relatively immediate, in the case of long-term debt its not.

You only believe you have "superhuman skills", in that sense you're an easy target.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, I'm not selectively picking, I've already pointed out the key difference you are just choosing to ignore it. The difference is the time frame, in the case of the credit card the bill is relatively immediate, in the case of long-term debt its not.

You only believe you have "superhuman skills", in that sense you're an easy target.
i generally get my bill every month for my credit card and my long term debt.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Quote:
How does one keep track if pending transactions online? Online you can only view the transactions that have posted to your account, any transfers, online-payments, checks, etc will not show up until they post.
If anything, ATM and debit cards hit your account faster than checks. It's virtually automatic.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I could have paid less and gotten the same car, don't you think I would have?

Plus, this whole post smacks of ignorance about cars and car prices, as you can't even get into a decent SUV without paying high $20k/low $30k, and that is before they even have all the gadgets/tech in them.
Probably not... Car choice is more about status symbols than it is tangible benefits, even if you are aware of this you'll still tend to choose cars in terms of status symbols vs tangible benefits.

Tell me what a SUV does for someone that a mini-van does not....

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,129,736 times
Quote:
i can't remember if it was this thread where someone asked about the 5% cashback. just got this in the mail today from chase:

1% cashback on everything

5% on categories that change throughout the year:

jan-march: grocery stores, drugstores
apr-june: home improvement, lawn and garden, home furnishings
july-sept: gas, airlines, hotels
oct-dec: department stores, dining, charity, movies

personally, i like my terms better, but this would be a nice supplemental card to get 5% back on more categories.
I've gotten that one before too...don't like it because the categories change all the time. I believe at one point they didn't and users could pick 3 categories but they changed it!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Quote:
Its not so much about finding computer error, but rather it forces you to look at your translations in detail. Looking up your balance online doesn't do that. Regardless, as I said, the main reason I maintain a ledger is to keep track of pending payments. If someone wants to do that mentally, alright, but I don't see how online banking does it for you.
Actually, if anything, doing all your banking online makes it possible to do all of that and more. You are able to quite easily classify your transactions to understand how you are spending your money right down to some very sophisticated charts, you are able to keep track of pending payments, etc. etc. I am able to schedule payments, transfer money from account to account, and look at every single transaction in detail.

What's more, the odds of the bank making a mistake with debit cards are infinitesimal compared to the odds of you screwing up your checkbook. The only think you have to do is ensure that you have actually made all the transaction in your records. That's why I look at it every couple of days.

In other words, I don't think you've actually looked at online banking in any detail at all or else you wouldn't be throwing out these objections. It is far, far superior to writing checks in every way I can imagine.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i generally get my bill every month for my credit card and my long term debt.
People can get in the same trap with credit cards, but only if they start running a balance. In that case the debt is likely to become long-term debt, people have a tendency to pay debt slowly as it makes them feel wealthier.

On the other hand, if you are paying your card off each month you avoid the potential problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance