Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,992,494 times

Advertisements

Her advice doesn't make any sense. In order to rent, someone has to own that property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Her advice doesn't make any sense. In order to rent, someone has to own that property.
My guess is that she'd make an exception for owning property for residual income.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,404,034 times
You have to look at your personal and individual situation as others have mentioned. You also have to follow basic common sense as well. You don't need a so called expert to tell you NOT to over leverage yourself and buy a property you can't afford. Also, it didn't take a genius to tell you NOT to pull out home equity and use your home as a virtual ATM card to spend it on frivolous stuff like vacations, expensive clothes, expensive cars, etc. (which lots of Americans did).

Renting makes sense for a LARGE percentage of people out there. Too many people got caught up in the "American dream" of owning a home but it's a nightmare now. I'm not saying real estate is a bad investment. It can be a good investment if you know what you are doing. But by and large, people should be buying a home as a place to live in.

I own lots of properties and it can be a pain to manage them. Even when you have a good property manager, it can be a hassle but you really have to look at your individual situation. These financial "experts" like to dispense advice like it's one size fits all when that is seldom the case.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,247,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Someone does. Her point is that at this moment if you are deciding to buy or rent, it may be better to rent. This housing price collapse is far from over. The property owner is the one in a spot with falling prices and millions of vacant units.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Someone does. Her point is that at this moment if you are deciding to buy or rent, it may be better to rent. This housing price collapse is far from over. The property owner is the one in a spot with falling prices and millions of vacant units.
It's clear that she's not well versed in macroeconomics.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,954,191 times
I think buying is a personal decision - you buy because you want a home and you plan on living there for the foreseeable future, not as "speculation."

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Honestly -- about a year before the stuff hit the fan in the RE market, we had bozo financial gurus who were telling people to pull out ALL their equity and invest in the stock market, because RE equity was a waste.

Anyone listening to them ended up screwed on both sides. Stuck with a depreciating house and a jacked up payment getting ready for foreclosure AND losing a ton of money in the market.
And how is RE equity worth anything if you plan on sitting on it for 20+ years?

Someone will have to tell me how paying off your house early makes you richer. I'm sorry but I just never will get that. If you chased bad investments with no strategy well then yeah you would be in a tough spot, but I'd also tend to think this sort of person would be in a tough spot no matter what. As they say in the market, Joe Public always ends up buying high and selling low and it serves as no surprise he would be doing the same with his real estate "strategy" if you can call it that.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,954,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
And how is RE equity worth anything if you plan on sitting on it for 20+ years?

Someone will have to tell me how paying off your house early makes you richer. I'm sorry but I just never will get that. If you chased bad investments with no strategy well then yeah you would be in a tough spot, but I'd also tend to think this sort of person would be in a tough spot no matter what. As they say in the market, Joe Public always ends up buying high and selling low and it serves as no surprise he would be doing the same with his real estate "strategy" if you can call it that.
Uh, because you would own some real estate, meaning dirt with shelter on it . . .

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Uh, because you would own some real estate, meaning dirt with shelter on it . . .
Currently, your discounted present value of cash is worth more than the equity you would be buying in your house. If this was to change (ie the housing prices suddenly went up), you can buy that inflated equity at a discounted rate at any given time. Therefor, it makes no sense to pay off your house early, assuming you have good credit.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If you have 5% equity in that dirt with shelter, do you control it? Do you get to decide what to do with it? Do you get to decide if gets a new deck or not? Do you get to decide if you want to rent it out to Aunt Jane and move to another state or not?

Now how does that differ if you own 100% of it? When you go to sell it, does the buyer say I'm going to give you an extra 10% for this house because you own it outright instead of having a mortgage on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance