Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,801,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
suzie caters to a particular audience . she is geared to those that either dont have a clue or are on the verge of financial suicide. her shows are usually directed to those heavily in debt or financial failures.

she paints with very broad brushes giving advice that while not always correct will keep most of her audiance from hurting themselves.

an example is how she talks about 401k loans being taxed 2x. they are not taxed 2x only the interest you pay is taxed 2x but if that keeps someones hands off their retirement money then suzie did her job.

risk vs rewards are always changing with the economic picture so yes she has to keep changing what she recommends

buying long term treasury bonds when rates are higher and things look like we may be slowing down can be a very low risk nice reward investment. those same bonds today with rates so low and inflation looming on the horizon are a very high risk low return scenerio,

same investment but 2 different sets of advice at 2 different times.

at one time owning a home was the best way for her audiance to win the game. not that its a good investment but for her audiance these folks will never have the discipline to rent and be trusted to invest in other assets instead so at least the residual value of the house is a consolation prize.

today the rents in most areas are so low in relation to buying that her audiance may spare themselves lots of grief by renting .

im not a susie advice lover but you have to remember who her books and show target.
Hrmmm...mathjak...not sure about that. Yes.. she profiles serious troubled cases on her show but she does the net worth financial grades and many people pass very well.

Guy is pulling in $ 10,000 a month, has no debt, has 1. million in retirement, 500,000 in liquid savings, has $ 300,000 in an emergency fund. Not exactly an embicile ! ( and his age range was 40's )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

107,129 posts, read 109,467,196 times
that part of the show is where she features the elusive person is doing well because thats what that section is about. the entire rest of the show is geared to those in trouble or about to do something to put themselves in trouble.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,544,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I'm pretty sure Suze's advice wasn't a generic across-the-board statement. I've only heard her give that advice to people who really can't afford to buy at this time. I've heard her give this advice to people who (a) aren't going to be in the house for 5 years minimum, (b) don't have an acceptable emergency fund on top of down payment, and (c) don't have 20% down payment. What's wrong with THAT advice?

Because that is not the answer he wants to hear

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,433,879 times
what is the problem with capitalizing the first words of your sentences? it's extremely difficult to read posts written entirely in lower-case. it looks like one big looooong run-on sentence.

What is the problem with capitalizing the first words of your sentences? It's extremely difficult to read posts written entirely in lower-case. It looks like one big looooong run-on sentence.

There, isn't that better?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 AM

if your refering to me ,im left handed and type with 1 finger... i have learned to type so fast with the 1 finger that its really a pain to get to the shift key tucked away on that lower right side since i cant use the main one on the left.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:16 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,073,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
what is the problem with capitalizing the first words of your sentences? it's extremely difficult to read posts written entirely in lower-case. it looks like one big looooong run-on sentence.

What is the problem with capitalizing the first words of your sentences? It's extremely difficult to read posts written entirely in lower-case. It looks like one big looooong run-on sentence.

There, isn't that better?
Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks, grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
if your refering to me ,im left handed and type with 1 finger... i have learned to type so fast with the 1 finger that its really a pain to get to the shift key tucked away on that lower right side since i cant use the main one on the left.
The thing that drives me nuts about our posts is your constant use of the word "then" when you really mean "thAn"...although the lack of capitalization is annoying, too.

Otherwise, the content of your posts is great!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 AM

ill try to fix that...Interesting enough i never really payed much attention to then and than so i looked it up.

then is a time marker,than is a comparison. got it. thanks

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,946,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Actually, the advice should have been all along to only buy a house you can afford. People making $40K a year with no money for a down payment should not have been getting loans for $400K houses.
bingo.

i still believe that most americans want to be homeowners and i believe that home ownership is good for america.

when you go to neighborhoods with a lot of rentals they are often rundown and poorly maintained. people who own homes take more pride in ownership and are more willing to spend for upkeep and improvements, and that is good for the economy and good for the neighborhood.

although there is nothing wrong with being a renter, it is nice to be able to have a home and keep it exactly the way that you want it, making all your own decisions on the property.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
ill try to fix that...Interesting enough i never really payed much attention to then and than so i looked it up.

then is a time marker,than is a comparison. got it. thanks
I could tell that you never paid attention to the difference between the two . But I'm glad you know the difference now .

While we're at it, that's "p-a-i-d", not "payed". Besides being correct, it's one less letter to type on the keyboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance