Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,982,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one problem with smart people waiting longer to start families is that you have tons of idiots starting families when they are teenagers and they are banging out kid after kid. over time, the idiots outbreed the smart people and the future looks pretty bleak.
You must have just recently watched "Idiocracy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,398,248 times
Quote:
one problem with smart people waiting longer to start families is that you have tons of idiots starting families when they are teenagers and they are banging out kid after kid. over time, the idiots outbreed the smart people and the future looks pretty bleak.

Not to jack my own thread but that reminds me of this clip.

YouTube - "Idiocracy" introduction - the future of human evolution

(fast forward to about :44)

Sometimes I wish I weren't so smart, then maybe I'd have my 3 kids by now.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,398,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Damn, you beat me to it!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
haha, i have seen it but not recently. its interesting how people wait to be responsible and have kids when they are ready and in the meantime tons of people are getting pregnant seemingly haphazardly before they have any security in life. it would be ideal to be completely ready but the older you get, the more high risk the pregnancy is. i dont recommend having children when you are in a bad situation or totally unstable, but i dont think people should wait until everything is perfect either.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM

374 posts, read 761,881 times
Quote:

My husband bought Idiocracy and we've watched it twice now. The first time I didn't take it seriously and just viewed it as a Sci-Fi comedy. The second time I paid more attention. Some of the scenarios in this movie have already happened to our society. It is frightening.

Last edited by irongrl; 04-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: saw previous posts

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,455,588 times
Quote:
im not sure why i have to explain this to you, but there has been discussion about having kids when "not ready" in this thread and my comment is part of that. your post touched on it, so i quoted your post. i have no need for you to respond to my comment, its open to the public.
it's like you had a random thought, and just vomited it out.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,455,588 times
Quote:
haha, i have seen it but not recently. its interesting how people wait to be responsible and have kids when they are ready and in the meantime tons of people are getting pregnant seemingly haphazardly before they have any security in life. it would be ideal to be completely ready but the older you get, the more high risk the pregnancy is. i dont recommend having children when you are in a bad situation or totally unstable, but i dont think people should wait until everything is perfect either.
this is fantasy. there is no such thing as completely ready.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,982,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
My husband bought Idiocracy and we've watched it twice now. The first time I didn't take it seriously and just viewed it as a Sci-Fi comedy. The second time I paid more attention. Some of the scenarios in this movie have already happened to our society. It is frightening.
Mike Judge (the creator) is genius!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's like you had a random thought, and just vomited it out.
i can understand your confusion a bit because i quoted your post but my intention really was to engage to that issue not necessarily you.

i agree, there is no completely ready. i dont think i ever would have been mentally ready, but my wife decided it was time and i had no real reason to say no.

in the end, pretty much everyone i know is happy for having their children. many of them arent too happy with their spouses, but they dont regret the kids. so while they may make life more challenging in some aspects, they ultimately end up being a positive decision for most people.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,484,407 times
Sometimes when I'm sitting in my Bentley and I look in the ivory-polished rear view mirror and catch a glimpse of myself in my private tailored Hermes suit, my D&G Elite men's sunglasses, and my limited century edition Philipe Patek timepiece...I feel a bit embarrassed about the gargantuan size of my lavish salary.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance