Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

what does "special needs" mean? i have no interest in offering more to people for taking in "special needs" kids. i have no interest in offering anything for people to take in adopted kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
In the case mentioned here, heart condition. In general- kids with physical, mental, and developmental disabilities or any combination of the above. If a down's syndrome child with a heart condition ends up in the foster care system, then that child is going to have huge financial costs associated with their care no matter where they end up. Better for the child (and probably more cost-effective as well) to have them end up in a subsidized adoption situation where they're in a stable environment and don't end up in an expensive-to-operate group home the day after they turn 18.

For those kinds of kids, I really feel like it's the ethical thing to do to encourage adoption, even if the state has to continue to subsidize them to a degree after the papers are signed.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM

i would like to do something with the birth parents. its not fair for them to produce kids, dump them on taxpayers and get away scott free. either permanently garnish their wages, sterilize them and/or put them in prison.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would like to do something with the birth parents. its not fair for them to produce kids, dump them on taxpayers and get away scott free. either permanently garnish their wages, sterilize them and/or put them in prison.
could pay for their abortions? uhoh....

Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
could pay for their abortions? uhoh....
in that sort of instance, id rather just exile them to another country or island. dont have to kill them but dont have to let them remain citizens either.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Excuse my laughter at that one. The Red Cross is one of the most bloated, hugely inefficient organizations around, and a lot of the other major players don't do much better. And we aren't even getting to the United Way yet, in either national or local forms.

As for the original story, one of the kids was special needs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the others were as well. It's not like it's easy to place non-infant AA children even when they're healthy, so I wouldn't be surprised if the kids in question would normally be considered to be 'normally unadoptable' by the state, and that's why there's a policy there to subsidize the kids even after formal adoption.

There are any number of white families that have been heralded as heroes in regional and national press for opening homes and hearts to multiple special needs kids. It's not explicit in the story, but I suspect that's what happened with the family here.

100% Correct. And when this came to light (Specifically following Hurricane Katrina) They suffered a MASSIVE loss in contributions as their waste and excesses came to light:

Example: The head of the Red Cross pulls down a couple hundred thousand per year.

The Salvation army (Which received a lot of the donations which had been going to the Red Cross) pays IT's head $30,000 per year.

The Red Cross has 'cleaned up it's act' a good bit since then, but not enough to suit me. (But it was the very thing I mentioned which caused ti to do so.)

A PERFECT example of what I was talking about. Thank you.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As for the original story, one of the kids was special needs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the others were as well.
The story said that all four of the adopted kids had special needs.

In all honesty, I did not get the feeling from the story that these people were adopting just to get the federal money. It's not like he isn't working at all and sitting around.

We have very dear friends who have 4 children of their own. A few years back, they adopted a child - African American actually. There are some people that truly have the gift of being parents. Who could have a bunch of them and it wouldn't faze them in the least. Just really love children and have the patience for that many.

I'm glad there are people out there like that who are willing to take children in. Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. But there are also many good hearted people at there too.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
The story said that all four of the adopted kids had special needs.

In all honesty, I did not get the feeling from the story that these people were adopting just to get the federal money. It's not like he isn't working at all and sitting around.

We have very dear friends who have 4 children of their own. A few years back, they adopted a child - African American actually. There are some people that truly have the gift of being parents. Who could have a bunch of them and it wouldn't faze them in the least. Just really love children and have the patience for that many.

I'm glad there are people out there like that who are willing to take children in. Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. But there are also many good hearted people at there too.
i think its wonderful that they want to take in the kids. i think the satisfaction of doing that should be enough, we shouldnt have to subsidize them.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
That's only for certified special needs kids (e.g., Title IV-E) - kids who need lots of ongoing care or therapy. You can adopt kids from foster care without severe emotional or physical problems that aren't special needs and the tax credit for those adoptions is based on actual expenses just like private adoptions. I'm pretty sure you can even have an international adoption of a child that is certified special needs.

You do realize that the credit has been there for many years, and it just happens to be refundable beginning in 2010? Previously you could use the credit to offset your current year tax liability and then carry the unused portion forward until it's all used up. The only thing that has changed here is a little time value of money.

Yes. But the operative word is * refundable * meaning prior to 2010, it was not ?

You saw what happened with the $ 8,000 homebuyers tax credit. Prisoners made fraudulent claims receiving millions...

You can well expect to see some prisoners claim * 6 adopted kids * for a cash windfall.....

Think thats not possible ? Explain how the prisoners who lived in 4 x 9 cells claimed the $ 8,000 Home Buyers Tax Credit ?

So my point is : Watch for future abuse anytime the gov'ment passes out money.....

How many prisoners have received the tax credit?
Of the 4,608 state and federal inmates who filed for the tax credit, 1,295 received the fraudulent refunds. That includes 241 inmates serving life sentences, to whom the Internal Revenue Service awarded a total of $1.7 million.

http://www.theweek.com

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Yes. But the operative word is * refundable * meaning prior to 2010, it was not ?

You saw what happened with the $ 8,000 homebuyers tax credit. Prisoners made fraudulent claims receiving millions...

You can well expect to see some prisoners claim * 6 adopted kids * for a cash windfall.....

Think thats not possible ? Explain how the prisoners who lived in 4 x 9 cells claimed the $ 8,000 Home Buyers Tax Credit ?

And the IRS blocked or denied 400,000 questionable claims worth $1 billion. BTW, some of the prisoners claims were valid, as they either bought homes before incarceration or bought with a spouse who was living in the home.

Remember when SSNs for dependents were first required on tax returns in 1987? Five million kids suddenly disappeared. Gaming the tax code is just a fact of life with a self-reporting system.

Anyhoo, in this case, it ain't likely, since you actually have to submit with your return proof of a completed or in process adoption, i.e., certified copy of court order granting adoption, home study completed by a social worker, contract with adoption agency, etc. to claim the credit.

The IRS is closely scrutinizing every one of the adoption tax credits. Adoptive parents are getting letters asking for verification of expenses and paperwork before the refunds are released. So perhaps a lesson was learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance