Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,233,118 times

Advertisements

People just spend differently on what gives them pleasure. My dog has given me happy wags and kisses when I arrived home for many years, to she's worth every penny we have to put into chemo if it buys her some healthy time. Yes, we can afford it.

I don't get people spending money on a lot of stuff they spend money on either, to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,739,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm very aware of my budget constraints and some say Ohhhh you shouldn't own a pet if you can't afford it Afford what exactly, my dog got premium dog food, and all the usuall shots and medications needed through his life. He was loved and well cared for, I would not and could not go in to the kind of financial debt some choose to do.
Sorry to hear but it sounds like you did the best and cared for him as good as anyone could.

My problem with some is that they hionestly are not thinking of the pet. if you listen to their reasosning, you always hera things like;
"I can't part with him"
"I want him around"
"I would never this or that"
"I", "I", "I"
They aren't doing it for the animal, they are only doing it for themself. Yes they will spend the money to keep it alive, but not because they love the animal, but they love themself loving the animal. They want the pet around and so they abandon love, compassion and humanity and only think about what they want. Its even more sad when you know if it was up to the animal, it would be saying "LET ME GO!". These are not animal lovers but animal hanger-on'ers.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM

97 posts, read 211,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
$0.00 plain and simple. Pets are not humans and people who treat them like humans have some loose screws. They make life more complicated for themselves than it needs to be.
I'm a little tired of hearing you fiscal geniuses talk about people who view their pets as part of their family as being irrational, crazy, or having screws loose. Maybe you're the ones missing some basic kindness and empathy in your mental make up.

Sociopaths are usually defined as people displaying anti social behavior which is mainly characterized by lack of empathy toward others, particularly animals....

Wow, that looks familiar!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,985,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post

Sociopaths are usually defined as people displaying anti social behavior which is mainly characterized by lack of empathy toward others, particularly animals....

Wow, that looks familiar!

Yeah, sure, okay pal. Is that the definition from the animallovers.com fan club? Haha. Jeezus Christ!!!

I think what they're usually referring to with sociopathic behavior is when little Jimmy finds neighborhood cats and chops them up for sheer enjoyment and curiosity. Jeffrey Dahmer was a sociopath. Are you actually putting these folks in the same category as that wacko?

This is why I can't have a conversation with a person like you. You are not a rational human being. All emotion, all the time. People like you would save your cat's life before you'd save another person's life. That's just how whacked out people like you are. No thanks!

Sorry, I had to tell it like it is.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM

97 posts, read 211,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Yeah, sure, okay pal. Is that the definition from the animallovers.com fan club? Haha. Jeezus Christ!!!

I think what they're usually referring to with sociopathic behavior is when little Jimmy finds neighborhood cats and chops them up for sheer enjoyment and curiosity. Jeffrey Dahmer was a sociopath. Are you actually putting these folks in the same category as that wacko?

This is why I can't have a conversation with a person like you. You are not a rational human being. All emotion, all the time. People like you would save your cat's life before you'd save another person's life. That's just how whacked out people like you are. No thanks!

Sorry, I had to tell it like it is.

LOL, yeah I figured that would p*ss you off. <pats myself on the back>

Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,985,913 times
Quote:
Right. Well, while you spend this weekend cuddling with Tigger, I'm going to be out socializing with other human beings. You should try it sometime.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,268,417 times
Debt? Absolutely nothing. How much would I spend otherwise? Can't fathom spending more than $500.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

33,047 posts, read 36,670,672 times
Quote:
Since I'm not a psychologist I'm not sure how to classify your disorder. BTW, I have a cat. Just saying...

Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,353,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Sorry to hear but it sounds like you did the best and cared for him as good as anyone could.

My problem with some is that they hionestly are not thinking of the pet. if you listen to their reasosning, you always hera things like;
"I can't part with him"
"I want him around"
"I would never this or that"
"I", "I", "I"
They aren't doing it for the animal, they are only doing it for themself. Yes they will spend the money to keep it alive, but not because they love the animal, but they love themself loving the animal. They want the pet around and so they abandon love, compassion and humanity and only think about what they want. Its even more sad when you know if it was up to the animal, it would be saying "LET ME GO!". These are not animal lovers but animal hanger-on'ers.
This is my mother-in-law to a tee. She and her late husband were ones who would spare no expense when it came to their pets. Recently she's had two dogs who she refused to have put to sleep despite the fact that they were in constant agony and there was nothing that could be done for them. Her reasoning was "I just couldn't bring myself to let them go." Again, this wasn't a case where any amount of money would have helped these pets, it's a case of where being alive was miserable for them and she didn't want to ease their pain for her own selfish reasons.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,289,592 times
I'm no "crazy cat lady." I'm actually a man. However, I would go into debt to save my cats life. Not possible to explain on an internet board, however, my cat has saved my life many times. She deserves the best treatment, love, and respect I can give her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance