Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,912,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
I'm a little tired of hearing you fiscal geniuses talk about people who view their pets as part of their family as being irrational, crazy, or having screws loose. Maybe you're the ones missing some basic kindness and empathy in your mental make up.

Sociopaths are usually defined as people displaying anti social behavior which is mainly characterized by lack of empathy toward others, particularly animals....

Wow, that looks familiar!
Well maybe I'm crazy, but perhaps people in the business forum see things slightly different than people in the pet forum? Like maybe it's a stupid financial decision (not to mention rather delusional) to get neck deep in hock for a furry 4 legged surrogate child?

Hate to break it to ya, but your cat or dog wouldn't do the same for you. In fact, if you dropped over dead and Fluffy couldn't get out of house, he'd be crapping out bits of you all over the sofa for weeks.

But that's mother nature for ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,945,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The day I put a $0.00 price on taking care of my animals, I will have given up my humanity and my compassion. You can put me to sleep then.

Sometimes, it makes sense to care for an animal, other times not. I won't keep one alive that is in dying and in pain but I'll keep one that is dying comfortable (my current situation) or pay to fix one up that has had an accident, like my cat did four years ago. It would be different if I didn't have the money.
Yeah I agree. I look at some of the responses on here and just think " wow, I sure hope that some of these people dont own pets, I feel sorry for the animal if they do."

Someone who thinks of their animal as just "property"..... no more value than their x-box or playstation...... definately shouldn't own one.

I'm kind of in the happy medium of all this though. I cant really say how much I would spend on the animal because there are too many factors to consider i.e. how attached I am to the animal, the animals current age, quality of life after treatment, etc. etc. However, I can say that I don't think I would go into actual financial debt to save the critter.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,382,296 times
There was a time when you could just put your pet to sleep when the time came. Now, as I understand it, that is illegal in most states, and it costs hundreds of dollars to have it done by a certified veterinarian, and hundreds more to properly process the remains. And you have to get permission from the pets previous owner. And if you don't do it that way, you can be sent to jail. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:41 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,912,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There was a time when you could just put your pet to sleep when the time came. Now, as I understand it, that is illegal in most states, and it costs hundreds of dollars to have it done by a certified veterinarian, and hundreds more to properly process the remains. And you have to get permission from the pets previous owner. And if you don't do it that way, you can be sent to jail. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Something like that, anyway.

Of course it's quite the hypocrisy. I've seen a government-run animal shelter do it's euthanizing; when they inject the animals they usually go into uncontrolled conniption fits that can last several minutes and the animals are obviously in great pain as they die. Meanwhile the animal control officers laughed and seemed to enjoy it. One even bragged about injecting a stray cat in the mouth once and watching it go ape ***** all over the shelter before it died. It isn't "putting them to sleep" at all...

...but then again, I've seen plenty of people die too, so it kinda puts things in perspective. We're all just meat in the end, so maybe the animal lovers aren't too far off when they anthropomorphize their pets... from a certain point of view.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,967,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People just spend differently on what gives them pleasure. My dog has given me happy wags and kisses when I arrived home for many years, to she's worth every penny we have to put into chemo if it buys her some healthy time. Yes, we can afford it.

I don't get people spending money on a lot of stuff they spend money on either, to each their own.

i am totally in agreement with this post.

i get value in taking care of my pet. i personally see no value in buying a new car and watching it depreciate driving it off the lot and just wouldn't do it.

to me that is a waste of money, and to someone else it gives them "new car" satisfaction.

i bought a pair of pants in a discount store once that were originally tagged at 1,650 dollars. would i ever spend that much on a pair of pants?- no, but someone else might.

whatever floats your boat, and who is to judge?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,213,444 times
This is a tough question because I have had to put money on a credit card for unexpected care and in the blink of an eye the bill adds up. Its hard to say no when nothing is seriously wrong with the animal. What I mean by this is a diagnosis of cancer or something life threatening where costly treatments are involved. Where the vet says, okay this is the problem and its gonna be 6 grand. What I fret over is, the animal is sick but will be fine with only a few tests here, a few meds there, etc. I have paid some high bills for silly stuff.

500 for cat vomiting. Never found out why but many tests later and an IV he was fine.

300 for the one dog that couldn't stop foaming at the mouth. He licked a toad. Ya seriously

450 for the other dog. Emergency room visit at 2 am. She had just been fixed a few days before and started making this awful noise and wouldn't stop. Turns out it was a reverse sneeze.

This is my worry. That the tests will just keep adding up, the animal is still moving around but not well and I'm supposed make that decision of putting it down when maybe a test or two more will give us the cause. Just needs a med of some sort. I have a limit in my mind I guess for a 1,000 dollars but what if at a 1,000 they say one more test might reveal what is wrong? That is what I worry about.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,753,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Now, as I understand it, that is illegal in most states, and it costs hundreds of dollars to have it done by a certified veterinarian, and hundreds more to properly process the remains. And you have to get permission from the pets previous owner. And if you don't do it that way, you can be sent to jail. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Incorrect.
The avergae cost to euthanize a pet dog/cat can be anywhere from $100 to $400 based on size, the vet practice, and similar things. Our local Humane Society will euthaanize a owned pet that is sick, injured, or no longer active due to age for about $125.

The cost of disposal is anwhere from $0 if sent to the landfill or a renedering plant or donated to vet school up to thousands if you want a funeral and cemetery plot. Cremation runs around $200 and up depending on size.

Despite porpular belief by misguided animal lovers, it is not illegal in the majority of states to self euthanize your own animal so long as its not done in a cruel or inhumane manner. In states that do have restrictions (not a prohabition), it has more to do with the circumstances that compells the euthanazia, not the act itself

Once you own an animal as a pet, its yours and you absolutely do not need any prior owners permission. Where that comes from is beyond comprehension.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,945,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Something like that, anyway.

Of course it's quite the hypocrisy. I've seen a government-run animal shelter do it's euthanizing; when they inject the animals they usually go into uncontrolled conniption fits that can last several minutes and the animals are obviously in great pain as they die. Meanwhile the animal control officers laughed and seemed to enjoy it. One even bragged about injecting a stray cat in the mouth once and watching it go ape ***** all over the shelter before it died. It isn't "putting them to sleep" at all...

...but then again, I've seen plenty of people die too, so it kinda puts things in perspective. We're all just meat in the end, so maybe the animal lovers aren't too far off when they anthropomorphize their pets... from a certain point of view.
If ever I had a pet or animal that needed put down, I always did it myself. Don't know if it's legal or not, and frankly, don't care. Let someone report me. I use a firearm and I know that it's quick an painless and they don't even know it's coming.

Average cost: 2 cents

Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 AM

505 posts, read 1,671,937 times
To each his own is key in this scenario, but RESPONSIBILITY (like others have said) is what is important here.

I had a coworker who was in this exact scenario a few months back. His dog was sick and his fiance maxed out their credit cards for surgery. As luck might have it, he lost his job a few weeks later and she wasn't making enough and they got evicted from where they were staying. The dog died a few months later anyways.

At the end of the day, it might have been worth it to them. Who knows, but when making these types of decisions, you have to look at the overall picture and it's not about "you don't love your dog enough to understand." We do understand, but it must work with everything else that's going on in our lives too.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM

97 posts, read 211,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
To each his own is key in this scenario, but RESPONSIBILITY (like others have said) is what is important here.

I had a coworker who was in this exact scenario a few months back. His dog was sick and his fiance maxed out their credit cards for surgery. As luck might have it, he lost his job a few weeks later and she wasn't making enough and they got evicted from where they were staying. The dog died a few months later anyways.

At the end of the day, it might have been worth it to them. Who knows, but when making these types of decisions, you have to look at the overall picture and it's not about "you don't love your dog enough to understand." We do understand, but it must work with everything else that's going on in our lives too.
I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this story. The timeline is a little vague, and it's oh so very conveniently blaming the downfall of this person's entire life on the fact that he paid for his soon-to-be-dead-anyway dog's medical bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance