Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
Unfortunately we as a society teach each other to blame others and look to Government for our each and every need. Its like we enjoy being slaves to Federal Government. We have been so deceived to the point that we do not even believe or expect anything worthwhile out of life. We have become a nation of victims.

Our Government schools and this "new age" parenting system has made us a nation of wimps. We are lining up as the Sheep that the Federal Government wants us to be. We are basically a society of mindless goons who cant sit down our smartphones long enough for a simple conversation at the dinner table with our loved ones. Sad, Sad, Sad....

Sorry for the rant which got a little off topic
I call it the pussification and dumbing down of America.

I'm over 35 and I am so disgusted with how incredibly stupid and incapable most of the youth are in this country. Even men around my age and older do NOT know how to carry on a conversation anymore either through text or in person.

I can understand somebody in their twenties or younger being this way, but I can't and REFUSE to accept older men being socially awkward goofuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,312,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
my sister said that she is having trouble paying the bills and she makes 60,000 a year so shes middle class i was wondering about the lower class of like 20 or 30,000 a year how can they afford everything?(mortgage,tv,phone, internet,car bill,gas,insurance,clothes,food,electirc or gas heating air condtion,dental bills, etc.)?
They spend less for those things or they go without those things or they get behind and can't pay for some of those things.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,312,818 times
That post is a fabrication. He inflates numbers, invents figures. He is a liar. First of to qualify for snap in Mississipi a mother of 2 children would have to make less than $8,500. So that benefit is not even available.

Secondly, the medicaid and chip costs are just made up. He takes what it would cost a family to buy private insurance and then adds a whole bunch of other figures to come up with that ridiculous number, but understand families on medicaid are not getting $16,000 a year in medical expense like he implies.
Plus he forgets that most people get their insurance through their employers and it is subsidized by the government.

Not to mention that the person making 60,000 is likely to own a home, which is another tax benefit, is likely to have a 401k which is another tax benefit, their whole gross income will not be taxed.

As thinking people we got to do better, if you really believe that any person would be better off being a single mom making 14,500 a versus making 60,000 you are in fantasyland.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,021,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Assistance levels vary throughout the country...

At one time, she was paid by the county for providing after school care for her granddaughter...

She is now 50...

That isn't assistance per se. Welfare can pay for some child care expenses under certain conditions and the state sometimes gives income to thoose who are caring for an adopted child. In both cases the assitance was not to the grandmother but for the child. I knew a person who had did that in her home for a short time as a buisness. Daycare costs can be rather high esp. for a single mother working low income.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,831,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
That isn't assistance per se. Welfare can pay for some child care expenses under certain conditions and the state sometimes gives income to thoose who are caring for an adopted child. In both cases the assitance was not to the grandmother but for the child. I knew a person who had did that in her home for a short time as a buisness. Daycare costs can be rather high esp. for a single mother working low income.
She was about to loose her General Assistance and was able to become employed by caring for her Grandchildren while her daughter was in school...

Her Daughter had her own Section 8 and lived about 10 minutes away...

I do understand your point...

It does seem my area has many different programs and support options...

Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,998,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
how can they afford everything?
They can't.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,250,058 times
So let me ask you. I hear a lot of hatred for the poor and contempt for the little our government gives to them.

Anyone want to trade places with a poor person?

Nah...I didn't think so.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,831,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
So let me ask you. I hear a lot of hatred for the poor and contempt for the little our government gives to them.

Anyone want to trade places with a poor person?

Nah...I didn't think so.
Some joined the ranks by willingly dropping out...

A childhood friend went through a nasty divorce... don't know any of the particulars.

Had nice home, career, family, vacations...

After the divorce, his health suffered and now has a studio Section 8 voucher.

So much for the divorce decree.

I do you think you are looking at it one-sided.

The other side is what incentive or how great is the incentive to leave assistance for the unknown?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,702,565 times
sacrifice? my friends mom had a $200 belt but they also didn't have air that month

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 18,845 times
we are not middle class bcz we dont get paid good but not poor for that we are not elegible for any kind of help . i tell you what , we dont have to have everything , we rent a home included all charges , we use magicjack at home since we have a wifi , we have one car , we try to eat healthy but cheap , we have one laptop , and we find cheap ways to enjoy our time together , watch a movie on tv , play games together online ,go to the cinema before evenings so its cheaper , we travel for few days as vacations , we see new states and cities but in our budget , we enjoy holidays and buy gifts in our budgets , we buy brand name things when they are on sale , we buy good skin care products but for multiple uses , for exemple i had loreal cream for day nd night instead of buying 2 generique creams from family dollar for same price.... etc
we use library alot for books and cds and movies and free classes and free activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance