Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Bs, again anyone who believes a family whose household is 60,000 has an equivalent lifestyle to a mom with 2 children making 14,500 is a damn fool.
Let me try again...

I did say I can see where it gives pause because a person earning 4 times (60k) doesn't realize a fourfold increase in their standard of living over the person making 15k and benefiting from multiple assistance programs.

Quote:
If someone really believes that then they should go live that life. Then comeback and tell us the equivalence of those two lifestyles.
Please take a deep breath...

A classic example would be two homes side by side, each family has 2 children and they attend the same school.. one family has Section 8 housing and the other is paying rent.

The one with Section 8 will pay no more than approximately 1/3 for shelter and utilities... which in my city equals about $300 a month for the rent portion.

The one renting without assistance is paying $1,500 a month... FIVE times more for the exact same "Equivalent" housing.

So you are absolutely correct... it is not equivalent because one family is paying 5 times more for the same goods and services another is getting for 1/5 the cost... both have the same housing, schools and community... the one on Section 8 is getting a $14,400 a year benefit courtesy of the taxpayers.

Added to that, if the 60k family looses their income... in all probability they will loose the home they rent.

If the 15k family income declines... it has zero impact on the ability to stay in the home... Housing will adjust the family's share downward.

This is how it works and I can easily understand why the 60k family has reason to question it.

Quote:
Or better yet ask the single mom making 14,500 if she'd trade that for making 60,000. I know what the answer will be.

People are just attempting to demonize poor people who receive aid, number one while ignoring the aid that middle class and upper class and wealthy people get from our government. It is sick.
No one is demonizing anyone and to say that shows a lack of understanding or perhaps guilt.

I managed a home rented to a women with children on Section 8... she drove a bus part time and made about 20k.

She was offered full time, split shift at 55k a year... it would also mean loosing all her benefits like Section 8, Alameda Alliance Health Care, Discounted Utilities, School Lunch, etc...

Can you guess which option she choose?

She decided the risk was too great to go it alone... she turned down the 55k job so she could be home with her kids after school and keep her housing, medical, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
The blindness of so many Americans at how much government benefits they receive consistently amazes me. You have people whose home ownership is subsidized by the government, whose childcare expenses are subsidized by the government, whose college tuition costs are subsidized by the government, whose retirement is subsidized by the government, whose employer provided health insurance is subsidized by the government, etc and so and they whine and complain about the handouts that very very poor families receive.
And then you have people that receive none of the above... and still pay plenty in taxes

Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
And then you have people that receive none of the above... and still pay plenty in taxes
Such a hater ...

Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Such a hater ...
Sometimes the truth hurts...

People are never going to agree on everything.

My experience growing up and living in Oakland California is in all likelihood quite different than it would be growing up somewhere else.

That said, the voters of my city are very generous and there are many overlapping assistance programs available.

Section 8 open the door to others because meeting HUD eligibility pre-qualifies the person of family to over 30 various assistance programs...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-29-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
What is your point? If you really believe that making 14,500 a year is better than making 60,000 than there is no reason for you not to go live that better life.

Try it and tell me how much better it is.
Oh,well,I have lived that life,thank you very much.
I grew up with a mom on welfare.
I also was poor up until I finished nursing school,at 22.

I had Medicaid,food stamps,and the dollar a day car insurance.
But I wanted to live a better life,or so I thought it was.

Back then ,I could go to the Doctor at any time without needing a copay.
ER was free(no copays anyway)
Food stamps,well I had food.
I didn't have Section 8 or other housing assistance though. Sometimes we did get assistance with our bills.

The mother making $14,000 with 2 kids in your scenerio,why can't she go back to school?
Why can't she work 2 jobs?
Is she working? If she is part time,why can't she go full time?

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 11-30-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Let me try again...

I did say I can see where it gives pause because a person earning 4 times (60k) doesn't realize a fourfold increase in their standard of living over the person making 15k and benefiting from multiple assistance programs.

Please take a deep breath...

A classic example would be two homes side by side, each family has 2 children and they attend the same school.. one family has Section 8 housing and the other is paying rent.

The one with Section 8 will pay no more than approximately 1/3 for shelter and utilities... which in my city equals about $300 a month for the rent portion.

The one renting without assistance is paying $1,500 a month... FIVE times more for the exact same "Equivalent" housing.

So you are absolutely correct... it is not equivalent because one family is paying 5 times more for the same goods and services another is getting for 1/5 the cost... both have the same housing, schools and community... the one on Section 8 is getting a $14,400 a year benefit courtesy of the taxpayers.

Added to that, if the 60k family looses their income... in all probability they will loose the home they rent.

If the 15k family income declines... it has zero impact on the ability to stay in the home... Housing will adjust the family's share downward.

This is how it works and I can easily understand why the 60k family has reason to question it.

No one is demonizing anyone and to say that shows a lack of understanding or perhaps guilt.

I managed a home rented to a women with children on Section 8... she drove a bus part time and made about 20k.

She was offered full time, split shift at 55k a year... it would also mean loosing all her benefits like Section 8, Alameda Alliance Health Care, Discounted Utilities, School Lunch, etc...

Can you guess which option she choose?

She decided the risk was too great to go it alone... she turned down the 55k job so she could be home with her kids after school and keep her housing, medical, etc...
This post is spot on.
The lines between middle class and poor are blurred.
There were many times I couldn't afford to go to the dentist yet my boyfriend with Medicaid could go any time he wished.

I wouldn't want to trade places with a Mom who makes 14000.
People that work in those agencies look down on the poor.
Sometimes it is deserved,other times it isn't.

I'm still waiting for those government benefits that the middle class get.
Which ones would those be? As far as I know,there are income limits.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm still waiting for those government benefits that the middle class get.
Which ones would those be? As far as I know,there are income limits.

If you (a) have a middle class job with generous (untaxed) fringe benefits and (b) own your home, you've got middle class government benefits right there.

Middle class families earning $50K-$75K often pay lower effective federal tax rates than burger flippers.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
How can you "illegally" do this when it's built into the smartphone to do this? These phones are miniature computers with phone capabilities. Just like I use my computer for free internet wifi, I can use the phone.

What's "illegal" about it?

It violates the Terms Of Service for many data plans and is okay if you buy a pricier data plan.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
The poster might be making the point that the programs and benefits available are enough to give a reason to pause and think...

If I make 60k a year... why isn't my financial life 4 times better than a person making 15k a year?

Diminishing returns.

Diminishing returns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,453 times
They can't and that's why many of them are struggling financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance