Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

Last I rd poverty was 18K without any money other than perosnal income.Ops sister inlaw perhaps does spend wisely> some people lose 10% or more on fees and interest not neceassary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,508,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
i think a lot of people live outside of their means. They might make good money but when they have a 2000 dollar mortgage, 500 dollar car payment, fancy cable with a million channels, the newest and greatest tech gadgets, and go out to eat all the time they struggle as much to pay the bills they have as much as someone who works minimum wage would.

I know what you mean though...i make a fairly decent salary and it's hard. Between rent, car insurance, groceries...it takes a lot of money to live.

+1

Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
..it takes a lot of money to live . . . .
. . . they way I want to live."

There. Fixed it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
How come people think its fair to ask the middle class to cut cut cut when the poor get free cell phones?
Why are we constantly asked to sacrifice when the poor and rich aren't?

Anyways,you guys are looking at if a place is high cost of living or not.
I make 100,000,BUT,I live in Nj. The Feds don't understand that,and they make me sick
Nj poverty is different than Ohio poverty. It costs $1200 to rent a one bedroom in a decent area where there isn't any crime. Sure,I can pay 800,but I don't want to get shot.

60,000 in Nyc qualifies you for some type of welfare for a family of 4.

Lots of people who replied said they get CHIP,Medicaid,and food stamps.
Health benefits cost me $500 a month,and food 800. I'm not even counting co pays.
Its a family of 5. If I wasn't working 2 full time jobs,I gross 3600 a month.
That's means id really make 2300 after those important expenses are counted.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
In a lot of cases people are poor because they have everything. I know people who make $60k a year and stay broke because they are trying to keep up with the Joneses. I guarantee you will not see people with a net worth of a least $1 million spending money like crazy on black friday.
After doing some field work on BF morning in a wealthier part of town, and driving by one of the more upscale malls, I commented to a buddy that traffic was thin and there was little more than the usual presence at the mall. Then it occurred to me that Neiman Marcus, Burberry, Tiffany, and all the other higher end businesses didn't have doorbuster deals or GET IT TODAY AT BLOWOUT BF PRICES sales.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
my sister said that she is having trouble paying the bills and she makes 60,000 a year so shes middle class i was wondering about the lower class of like 20 or 30,000 a year how can they afford everything?(mortgage,tv,phone, internet,car bill,gas,insurance,clothes,food,electirc or gas heating air condtion,dental bills, etc.)?
First thing you need to do is change the title of the thread. Poor people do NOT afford "everything".

It's a myth that "most" poor people have mortgages, internet, cars and cell phones. More than likely, they aren't making it to the dentist, either.

That's how they are able to pay their rent, food and electricity.

If someone who makes 60 grand a year cannot pay their bills, they have no clue whatsoever how to manage their money. Frankly, they are living way beyond their means...there is NO reason someone cannot make it on 60 grand regardless where they live in this country.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM

395 posts, read 707,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
my sister said that she is having trouble paying the bills and she makes 60,000 a year so shes middle class i was wondering about the lower class of like 20 or 30,000 a year how can they afford everything?(mortgage,tv,phone, internet,car bill,gas,insurance,clothes,food,electirc or gas heating air condtion,dental bills, etc.)?
Their standard of living declines

Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Well we watch every single dollar we bring in and spend it with caution. I use coupons like crazy. People give me coupons which I use to my advantage, like running this morning to kohls to get a $20 pirate ship with a $10 off coupon and 15% off for a grand total of $9 bucks. That is one of my sons gifts.

I get food stamps and still use manufacturer coupons and sales to stretch my food stamps to feed us for the month.

I call utility companies for discounts and I never pay full price for anything. I always ask for discounts.

I drive a 7 year old car. I shop insurance every year. I never go to the doctor and rarely the dentist unless I have to.

I live in amedium high cost of living area and own a small house. It is a struggle every single day but I would not trade my kids for all the money in the world.

I do wish I could find a decent paying job. I recently lost my third job in the last year. A job that I could go to for at least a year would be a blessing.

Since when do utility companies give discounts???

Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How come people think its fair to ask the middle class to cut cut cut when the poor get free cell phones?
The free cell phone for the poor gives them about 8 minutes a day of calling time. If you can live with that, get a TracFone for $80 a year. It's a choice of a free cell phone, or a $10 a month discount on their land line.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times

Since when does Medicaid provide disposable income? (Hint: many minimum wage workers simply go uninsured.)

And most families earning minimum wage don't get Section 8; demand far exceeds supply and it is very hard to get - most can't even get on the waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance