Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How come people think its fair to ask the middle class to cut cut cut when the poor get free cell phones?
Why are we constantly asked to sacrifice when the poor and rich aren't?

Anyways,you guys are looking at if a place is high cost of living or not.
I make 100,000,BUT,I live in Nj. The Feds don't understand that,and they make me sick
Nj poverty is different than Ohio poverty. It costs $1200 to rent a one bedroom in a decent area where there isn't any crime. Sure,I can pay 800,but I don't want to get shot.

60,000 in Nyc qualifies you for some type of welfare for a family of 4.

Lots of people who replied said they get CHIP,Medicaid,and food stamps.
Health benefits cost me $500 a month,and food 800. I'm not even counting co pays.
Its a family of 5. If I wasn't working 2 full time jobs,I gross 3600 a month.
That's means id really make 2300 after those important expenses are counted.

??? I'm poor and don't get a free cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
my sister said that she is having trouble paying the bills and she makes 60,000 a year so shes middle class i was wondering about the lower class of like 20 or 30,000 a year how can they afford everything?(mortgage,tv,phone, internet,car bill,gas,insurance,clothes,food,electirc or gas heating air condtion,dental bills, etc.)?
Ah some of thoose expenses are one time like TV(not that expensive, could get one as a gift or from friend/family that wants to get rid of an extra).

Mortgage ah all the poor people I know rent.

Car, the poor people I know use public transit mostly. It is much cheaper than owning a car. Thoose that don't drive older cars(like over 8 years old) .

Health Insurance Medicaid can cover children, mothers, elderly...it is just the men and the women over child bearing age or with no childern that are SOL. Medicare helps the elderly a lot or families that car for elderly(i.e. Grandparnts medical bills don't break drain the family).

at $60,000 a year unless she has a lot of children she is doing something wrong. The biggest problem are thoose fixed expenses like the Mortgage and the Car. The two income trap by Elizabeth Warren is intresting in that it follows the strugling middle class not the poor.

There are some programs that help elderly with heating expenses.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Medical care, it is getting so nobody can afford that, but if your income is low enough you or your children may get it at reduced cost. Transportation is a surprisingly large cost category. But if your needs are less you may be able to find a job closer, reducing those greatly. To earn $60000 you may have to travel far.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

Health Insurance Medicaid can cover children, mothers, elderly...it is just the men and the women over child bearing age or with no childern that are SOL. Medicare helps the elderly a lot or families that car for elderly(i.e. Grandparnts medical bills don't break drain the family).
Medicaid covers pregnant poor women during the pregnancy and for a couple months after the baby is born. You'd basically have to get pregnant every year if you wanted continuous Medicaid coverage. Just being a mother and being young enough to bear children doesn't get someone medicaid. You can usually get free birth control though, or at least a free annual exam to get a birth control prescription.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM

46 posts, read 143,382 times
i seen spanish and black people with nice clothes and expensive shoes come out of public housing apartments and the project whatever you call it where all the sections of the bulding are the same i dont know why they do that.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How come people think its fair to ask the middle class to cut cut cut when the poor get free cell phones?
The poor on AID may get the cellphone for free, but THEY have to pay for the cards to CONTINUE service. If they don't use the phone at least once a month, then it will get cut off. If they do not have the money to continue purchasing cards to use it, the government (or whomever is giving it to them) will cut them off.

NOTHING IS FREE FROM THE GOVERNMENT. NOTHING.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
i seen spanish and black people with nice clothes and expensive shoes come out of public housing apartments and the project whatever you call it where all the sections of the bulding are the same i dont know why they do that.
Troll post, I see.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM

46 posts, read 143,382 times
not troll post i was just wondering why they get expensive stuff and live in a crappy place?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM

23,637 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I'm poor and don't get a free cell phone.
A couple of weeks ago there was a segment on my local news about the free cell phones + minutes.

The following link will help people find out if they are eligible or not.

Free Government Cell Phones – #1 Authority on Free Cell Phones Program

"The government will pay for your free cell phone and service
Thanks to the FCC-mandated, government-sponsored program, called LifeLine Assistance, the financially disadvantaged can receive a free government cell phone and up to 250 free minutes every month."

I believe that some states allow even more than 250 free minutes.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
not troll post i was just wondering why they get expensive stuff and live in a crappy place?
Clothes are not that expensive. A pair of nike shoes maybe $200 but that is a "one time" event...i.e. You buy the shoes they last for months.

Rent on the other hand is reoccurring(try coming up with $200 extra a month).

Saving money would be a great idea but there are laws that control how much savings a poor person can have and still recieve assistance and never judge a person by clothes. You can get good clothes 2nd hand, the clothes could have been a gift from other family member(esp. a kid).

Don't get me wrong the poor can waste money just the same as everyone else but they have less breathing room about it. I mean 250 mins worth of phone time comes out to 8 mins a day. How many people can live with just 8 mins worth of phone time. They usually buy phone cards(and thoose are a rip off compared to renting).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance