Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,493,103 times

Advertisements

I worked in two different states for the same company (Delaware as an intern, Connecticut full time) in 2012. I also lived in New Jersey while working in Delaware, and Connecticut now. I only need two W-2 forms, right? (for DE and CT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM
J24

448 posts, read 866,087 times
If it was for the same company, it most likely would be on the same W2. Mine was, anyway. I was in the same situation. Same company, two states last year. If it wasn't all on the same W2, then yes, it would be 2.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM

732 posts, read 2,988,925 times
But you may need three income tax forms, since New Jersey may want to tax you on all your income while you were living there, even if you worked in another state. Sounds like you're gonna need some professional help on this.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM

6,666 posts, read 7,145,319 times
Except for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Some states tax income earned in the state even if you do not live there. OP files in NJ as a resident and DE as a non-resident. NJ gives him credit for tax paid in DE.

Delaware

"NON-RESIDENT WORKING IN DELAWARE
Q. I am looking at a new job in Delaware. I live in New Jersey. Someone told me if I take a job in Delaware, I can claim the extra taxes that will be withheld by Delaware. Is this true? Can I have the Delaware employer just withhold New Jersey state tax?
A. As a resident of New Jersey who works in Delaware, you would be required to file a non-resident return with Delaware (Form 200-02). You would be allowed a credit on your New Jersey return for taxes imposed by Delaware. Your employer would be required to withhold Delaware taxes as long as you work in Delaware."
You might need to file in NJ DE and CT. You should see a tax pro especially if it is a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance