Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 PM

38 posts, read 148,813 times

Advertisements

We have always used Turbo tax in the past, but I've been putting off purchasing it because we had a strange year. My husband worked in two states (GA and NC), and we lived in three (GA from Jan to June when we sold our home, NC until mid Dec renting, and then SC for two weeks when we purchased a home). I would think we will need to file returns in all three states. Other than these moves, our finances are pretty uncomplicated.

I'm wondering if this is two complicated for Turbo Tax and also would we have to purchase the two additional states? If we have to purchase the additional states, would this end up approaching what an accountant would cost (Charlotte NC area) or would their fees also probably increase with the additional states to file? My goal is to spend as little as possible on tax prep (and of course get the taxes right) and would love some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:17 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd2001 View Post
We have always used Turbo tax in the past, but I've been putting off purchasing it because we had a strange year. My husband worked in two states (GA and NC), and we lived in three (GA from Jan to June when we sold our home, NC until mid Dec renting, and then SC for two weeks when we purchased a home). I would think we will need to file returns in all three states. Other than these moves, our finances are pretty uncomplicated.

I'm wondering if this is two complicated for Turbo Tax and also would we have to purchase the two additional states? If we have to purchase the additional states, would this end up approaching what an accountant would cost (Charlotte NC area) or would their fees also probably increase with the additional states to file? My goal is to spend as little as possible on tax prep (and of course get the taxes right) and would love some advice.

I just finished downloading the taxact state software. I had the option of purchasing all the states for $51.80. The federal part is free. Here is their link TaxACT Free Tax Software, Free Tax Return with Free Efile of Your Federal Income Tax Return.

Good luck

Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
No, it isn't too complicated at all, that is one of the basic questions the program asks so if you answer yes it will take you to the appropriate states information.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,390 times
I have Turbo Tax Home and Business and it included one FREE state. As it turns out I can't file the state electronically anyway because I've only lived here 6 months... they want a paper return. So, I found some at the state dept of revenue to download and fill out.... FREE. So check with those states and see if you find something.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 AM

63 posts, read 248,679 times
We just tried doing our taxes last night with Turbotax and while the federal part went smoothly and easily enough, we started pulling out our hair when it came to the state part. We lived in NY and moved to NC at the end of May and it started asking us all these questions that we just could not understand and didn't know how to answer them. And it seems like we're going to be charged $39 or so per state. We don't know what to do now.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie228 View Post
We just tried doing our taxes last night with Turbotax and while the federal part went smoothly and easily enough, we started pulling out our hair when it came to the state part. We lived in NY and moved to NC at the end of May and it started asking us all these questions that we just could not understand and didn't know how to answer them. And it seems like we're going to be charged $39 or so per state. We don't know what to do now.
What items are you confused about?
Turbo Tax and any software for that matter will not be able to separate what you earned in each state. For example if you got a 1099 from you bank that says you earned $120 in interest that year. You have to go to you bank statements and see how much you had earned by the end of May. Lets say you earned $10 each month then
$50 belong to NY(Jan-May) and $70 belong to NC. It has been a long time since I did a NC return but I think they were pretty easy even as a part year.

Be more specific with your questions and then I may be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance