Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,949,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Knock off the sexist excuses for yourself! Not only are significantly more women enrolled in post-secondary schools than men (57% vs 43%), but they graduate (4/2 year degrees or certificates) at a greater rate than males: 62% to 38%. Women earn 57% of Bachelors degrees, 60% of Masters degrees and 51% of PhDs. (NCES) Most women don't get ahead because of their sex appeal but because they get off their butts and go to schools/programs to acquire marketable skills -- and many of them do it while being single moms and/or main family bread winners.

If you are a single adult making only $15k annually, you have financial resources to get an education that you are ignoring because you prefer to blame everybody but yourself for your predicament rather than doing something about it. I think that you would probably qualify for at least a modest Pell grant, and if you live in NYS, you'd qualify for a TAP grant as well, and other states may have their own scholarship programs. You can get FA while taking as few as 6 credit hours (2 classes) a semester BTW. The rest you pay for in loans, and don't give me any manure about not wanting to go into debt. No pain, no gain.

I have made 16k for the past 15 years. I tried community college and quit because I failed the remedial math course multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,023,539 times
Quote:

If you are a single adult making only $15k annually, you have financial resources to get an education that you are ignoring because you prefer to blame everybody but yourself for your predicament rather than doing something about it. I think that you would probably qualify for at least a modest Pell grant, and if you live in NYS, you'd qualify for a TAP grant as well, and other states may have their own scholarship programs. You can get FA while taking as few as 6 credit hours (2 classes) a semester BTW. The rest you pay for in loans, and don't give me any manure about not wanting to go into debt. No pain, no gain.

Amen. And for those who prefer low skill jobs while they whine "Woe is me", I have no qualms with that, nor your low skill income level. I also have no qualms about tablets and robots eventually eliminating those jobs.

Your predicament is of your own creation. Deal with it.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,559,077 times
Quote:
Knock off the sexist excuses for yourself! Not only are significantly more women enrolled in post-secondary schools than men (57% vs 43%), but they graduate (4/2 year degrees or certificates) at a greater rate than males: 62% to 38%. Women earn 57% of Bachelors degrees, 60% of Masters degrees and 51% of PhDs. (NCES) Most women don't get ahead because of their sex appeal but because they get off their butts and go to schools/programs to acquire marketable skills -- and many of them do it while being single moms and/or main family bread winners.

Nope, no Pell grant, no TAP (I'm tapped out?), no loans, no nothing.

I graduated in the top 5% of my high school class but all I got was a crummy Regents scholarship worth $100/year for books.

(I am one of those evil student loan defaulters Reagan warned you about, so I am ineligible for financial aid; and have a $100 SL garnishment that leaves me living on financial fumes.)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,023,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I am one of those evil student loan defaulters Reagan warned you about, so I am ineligible for financial aid; and have a $100 SL garnishment that leaves me living on financial fumes.
Glad to hear it is being paid back. After all, it was a loan, not a gift. I was happy to pay mine back-it wouldn't have been right not to, after all.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,047,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Nope, no Pell grant, no TAP (I'm tapped out?), no loans, no nothing.

I graduated in the top 5% of my high school class but all I got was a crummy Regents scholarship worth $100/year for books.

(I am one of those evil student loan defaulters Reagan warned you about, so I am ineligible for financial aid; and have a $100 SL garnishment that leaves me living on financial fumes.)
Sounds like you've made a lot of bad choices in life and/or didn't put in the effort towards digging yourself out of the bottom rungs.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,866,501 times
What do you think is preventing Americans from saving for retirement?

Even though the economy is a little better off than what it was 18 months ago many families are still hurting from the recession. Many people are earning paycheck to paycheck and don't earn enough to contribute to a retirement investment of some kind. Also, the stock market crash of 5 years ago still has many, many Americans scared and on the sidelines. They have missed one of the greatest bull runs in a long time.

-Cheers.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM

869 posts, read 878,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero
This. Personal finance should be taught in high school. Everyone should understand the basic terminology, the power of compounding, diversification and that there is no magic answer to higher returns. This will never happen though because the government has a powerful incentive to keep people ignorant.

Too many people don't understand basic finance so they ignore it, besides it's more fun to spend money on *stuff* and enjoy spending their hard earned money now and hope the fairy godmother rescues them when their older.

Quote:
This is nonsense. HSers are taught a lot of things but much of it doesn't stick. What makes you think that imposing your version of "personal finance" would stick when not much else does? Furthermore, what "incentive" does the government have "to keep people ignorant"???
Maybe you didn't learn anything in HS but that says more about you than High School students. By your logic we shouldn't teach kids math, science, literature, history because "much of it doesn't stick". You won't be receiving my vote for school board.

Please explain how I suggested imposing my views of personal finance? Principles of finance are a science and are not opinions. Look at all the personal finance questions posted in this forum. Are those posters worried that someone might impose views of personal finance on them? When I teach classes on the subject they are full of people wanting to learn, and they all wish they had had the opportunity when they were younger. I help doctors, executives, all highly educated folks that get weak at the knees when you start talking about qualified plans, IRR and marginal tax rates.

It bothers me that people are so ignorant and to see them taken advantage of, but maybe it shouldn't because I earn a great living from their ignorance.

People have to take personal responsibility for their lives because no one else will take care of them, certainly not government. Kids learn plenty of things in school that could very well be taught by good parents but schools teach them because so many parents are unable or unwilling to teach.

Finally, you can't be serious about your last little statement??? Liberal, conservative, republican democrat--it doesn't matter, they all spin things and cherry pick data to fit the point they're making or to sway voters. I find it entertaining to watch political ads and debates just to pick out all the errors, lies and fallacies. Locally we had a school district that was caught intimidating its employees into voting for the school bond issue by telling them they would lose their jobs if it didn't pass. Never mind that the bonds were legally limited to funding building projects and all staff positions are funded out of the general fund.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Glad to hear it is being paid back. After all, it was a loan, not a gift. I was happy to pay mine back-it wouldn't have been right not to, after all.

Did you know that a fee is tacked on every month for the privilege of having my wages garnished? I have paid almost as much in these fees as the amount I borrowed, these fees also reduce the amount applied to the loan principal, thereby reducing principal reduction to nearly zero. Don't cry for taxpayers, they are making money hand over fist from student loan defaulters, who are entitled to keep only the first $750 of monthly earnings.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Sounds like you've made a lot of bad choices in life and/or didn't put in the effort towards digging yourself out of the bottom rungs.

??? what bad decision(s) did I make? stayed in school, got great grades, didn't do the culture of poverty stuff like drugs or crime.

don't want to manage burger flippers, no advancement path where i work.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 AM

107,314 posts, read 109,695,874 times
what bad decision? making excuse after excuse and believing your own bull-sh*t ,as well as complaining and complaining instead of a workable action plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance