Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,430,203 times

Advertisements

OP theres a difference between qualifying for a loan, and being comfortable with the payments. A bank will qualify you up to an amount that sounds good in theory, but leaves you with little cash flow for repairs and other expenses. That's what got people in trouble in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
I really appreciate the feedback, thank you.

So, let's just say I qualify for a loan of $146k,
but I "buy" a place for like $120k..

My payments should be like $475 -$500 a month no?
I pay double that in rent now, so won't it technically "save" me money if I just buy a home?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

I pay double that in rent now, so won't it technically "save" me money if I just buy a home?
Look for a good mortgage calculator and that will give you an estimate. You forget that in addition to the mortgage you will have to pay property taxes and have homeowners insurance. That can add a good chunk to the mortgage. Plus with a small down payment you will have to factor in PMI. If you're buying a condo, you'll probably have associated fee's there, like an HOA, for lawn care, maintenance, etc.

Not to mention, I would also not buy a place without a decent chunk of savings for emergencies (around 5k minimum probably in your case)

Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:

That's just principal and interest. Don't forget about costs such as private mortgage insurance, homeowner's insurance, and property taxes. You can expect your monthly payment to include all of these things.

Are you renting a single family home now?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:

You have to include property taxes, insurance, HOA/condo fees, maintenance, the value of your own time (if you work on it yourself), and the lost investment opportunity of your down payment funds and closing cost.

If that is still less than (or very similar to) rent for the same place and you plan on staying there for a while (5+ years) it can make sense to buy it. Strictly speaking you should subtract equity growth from the cost, but the latter depends on unknown future prices.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
Quote:

$120K @ 3.5% for 30 years = $539 P&I
$120K @ 3.5% for 15 years = $858 P&I
$120K @ 3.5% for 10 years = $1187 P&I

See The Mortgage Professor Calculator

Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,236 times
Quote:
Really appreciate this advice!

To be quite honest, I almost feel as if I'll never be able to buy a home. I dont even know why. It seems so daunting and yet I want to purchase so much more than renting. I'm beginning to see how much of my income I waste by renting. $1100/month to be exact.

Do u recommend I use my $6k in savings and pay off my $1k in credit card debt and perhaps put like $3k down on a loan?
While it's true that the money there is going out the window, don't forget that as soon as you take on a mortgage, you'll be paying interest, taxes, and making repairs that will also be money "wasted."

Not to mention as others have pointed out, the down payment you're going to make(let's assume you do 10% and put down 12k) could be realistically earning at least 5% (about $40/month after taxes on average).

When you compare renting vs buying, you need to compare renting to Interest + Taxes + (Your standard deduction - the Interest/Tax deductions) + Maintenance/HOA/TrashFees

All those things are new expenses that you'll pick up entirely because you're renting, and they'll continue to go out the window every month.

I'm not saying buying isn't a good move, just pointing out that it's not as simple as Mortgage vs Rent. Typically if mortgage and rent are the same with a low down payment, you'll usually come out ahead because the principal payment is money you pay to yourself(no change in net worth).

Based on your numbers, you'll probably be better off buying, just don't forget the "hidden" costs.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
$120K @ 3.5% for 30 years = $539 P&I
$120K @ 3.5% for 15 years = $858 P&I
$120K @ 3.5% for 10 years = $1187 P&I

See The Mortgage Professor Calculator
+taxes
+insurance
+pmi
+hoa
=
$$$$$$$

my escrow makes up over 1/3 of my monthly mortgage payments...that's up here in IL...what's the taxes like in Dade County?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM

505 posts, read 716,990 times
Most towns I have lived in have had an adult learning class on home buying which might be good for you to take. If they have a home maintenance class I would sign up for that too. I would also start picking up the real estate advertising books that usually come out monthly and just start looking and seeing what is available in your price range. It wouldn't hurt to go to some open houses.

There is a lot more to home ownership than buying.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,580,493 times
Why do you even have a $1K in credit card debt. The interest rate is at least 9%. You have the savings. Pay it off! Duhh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance