Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I contribute funds as Traditional or Roth?
Traditional 1 25.00%
Roth 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 03:35 PM

547 posts, read 509,562 times

Advertisements

If you intend to retire early it may be possible to withdraw funds at 55 without the %10 IRS penalty. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 07:18 PM

7,729 posts, read 8,827,175 times
Notice this was an old thread revived by me (#9).

Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM

26,227 posts, read 21,771,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Notice this was an old thread revived by me (#9).
I'm sure everyone else appreciates thread bumps for a year or two old thread as much as I do

Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 PM

1,050 posts, read 508,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I have decided to max out my 457 Plan for 2015 (max out is $18k/year). I have the choice to either make contributions to this fund Traditionally (pre-tax) or as Roth (post tax). What do you think I would be better off doing? A little info about me which could impact decision is that my salary is about $40k/yr and I will be filing Married Jointly.

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!
Estimate whether you expect to have more taxable income in retirement or less. If more, go with Roth. If less, go with Traditional. Pay the tax where the tax is lower. There is lots more to consider, like potential for returns, future expected large expenditures, etc.

Another way of saving a lump sum for later retirement when you will need to move to a care facility is to by as much house for retirement that you can if you think property values will go up on historical average during retirement. Then when you sell many years later you may be able to take the entire appreciated value tax free if you haven't done it already with another previous house. It will also get you a retirement free of mortgage payments.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM

11,669 posts, read 18,050,052 times
For me, traditional works much better. I used to have a Roth and hated it. It makes zero sense to me. A traditional IRA allows you to have a nigher net pay, because it's deducted pretax AND it allows your investments to have a higher basis for growth over time. I don't mind paying taxes upon withdrawal in the future, because even after the future tax liability, I'm likely to have a bigger net withdrawal than I would had I used a Roth. Also, you can sort of control how much tax you will pay upon withdrawal, because you can control how much to withdraw in the first place. The more you withdraw, the more tax you will pay. The less you withdraw, the less tax you will pay. Roth IRA's are the most overrated type of account ever IMO and I don't recommend them to anyone, unless there's 100% certainty that that person will be in a substantially higher tax bracket by then. But tax legislation changes all the time, so it's stupid to even worry about it now.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:49 PM

7,729 posts, read 8,827,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A traditional IRA ........ allows your investments to have a higher basis for growth over time.
While I agree with some parts of your opinions, this seems incorrect, in fact it's the opposite. Both roth and traditional IRA have the same contribution limit. Say the contribution is $5000. Both will grow with that amount as the basis, but upon withdrawal, traditional IRA would lose some to tax, while Roth doesn't.

Edit: Unless perhaps you were referring to the money saved by deferring the tax?

But it does seem to make sense to prefer traditional if one is in lower tax bracket after retiring, which I thought most people would be, but I don't know. Since many chose Roth, maybe they think they'll in higher tax bracket later?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:37 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,782,341 times
I think a lot of people simply like the security of knowing that Roth distributions are tax-free, period. There's no guessing involved in what tax bracket you'll be in.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM

26,227 posts, read 21,771,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
For me, traditional works much better. I used to have a Roth and hated it. It makes zero sense to me. A traditional IRA allows you to have a nigher net pay, because it's deducted pretax AND it allows your investments to have a higher basis for growth over time. I don't mind paying taxes upon withdrawal in the future, because even after the future tax liability, I'm likely to have a bigger net withdrawal than I would had I used a Roth. Also, you can sort of control how much tax you will pay upon withdrawal, because you can control how much to withdraw in the first place. The more you withdraw, the more tax you will pay. The less you withdraw, the less tax you will pay. Roth IRA's are the most overrated type of account ever IMO and I don't recommend them to anyone, unless there's 100% certainty that that person will be in a substantially higher tax bracket by then. But tax legislation changes all the time, so it's stupid to even worry about it now.

Once rmds kick in you can't control how much you withdrawal. It's a little overboard to call Roths the most overrated account ever. You'd most likely be better served having a mix of pre/post tax retirement savings instead of saying it's stupid to worry about tax legislation now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance