Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I have a hard time believing that everyone is calculating their net worth accurately. Unless you have some sort of inheritance or money gifted then I don't see how a 25 year old making $60K/year could obtain a $140K net worth?

Or maybe they live at home with their parents and have saved $.75 of every dollar earned since graduation without a single student loan pretty much? Assuming even that they always made $60K and didn't start at a smaller salary.

I saw other examples as well so I am not trying to single out this one person. I just know for myself, my net worth hasn't even passed what I earn yet because I am busy trying to pay down my car and my mortgage (high interest payments in the beginning). Plus, I only paid off my student loans 2 years ago. I live in Chicago where 3/4th's of everything I make goes to bills so I am not sure if I just suck at saving or if many of the folks here are a tad "inaccurate" in their post. What do you all think?
You live in Chicago, the deck is already stacked against you for saving.

Housing is crazy expensive here, taxes are really high (and going up! looking forward to the increased sales tax, property tax, uber tax, Netflix tax, etc?)

All of this means the maximum percentage of your income you can save is capped much lower than other areas in the country. As a point of reference, if we were to move from Chicago to Dallas, we'd save an additional $2,000/mo. It's like we're lighting that money on fire to appease the tax gods. Living in Illinois is not worth $2,000/mo to us.

Or in other words, it's a lot easier to save $140k on a $60k income when you're not living in Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,935 times
Quote:
I have a hard time believing that everyone is calculating their net worth accurately. Unless you have some sort of inheritance or money gifted then I don't see how a 25 year old making $60K/year could obtain a $140K net worth?

Or maybe they live at home with their parents and have saved $.75 of every dollar earned since graduation without a single student loan pretty much? Assuming even that they always made $60K and didn't start at a smaller salary.

I saw other examples as well so I am not trying to single out this one person. I just know for myself, my net worth hasn't even passed what I earn yet because I am busy trying to pay down my car and my mortgage (high interest payments in the beginning). Plus, I only paid off my student loans 2 years ago. I live in Chicago where 3/4th's of everything I make goes to bills so I am not sure if I just suck at saving or if many of the folks here are a tad "inaccurate" in their post. What do you all think?
Im the one you're referring to. I began working a real job in 2010 (meaning more than $8/hr). It was for PepsiCo in the warehouse making $17/hr. Id average 1,000 hours of overtime a year. Since it was more than I'd ever made before, and I was already an active investor, I began putting 33-50% of my pay into my 401k. I maxed my 401k the last 2 years of my employment there. In 2012 I rolled it in a Roth IRA after leaving employment there. This was the same year I moved out. I put 50% of my Roth into FAS and saw my investment triple in less than 18 months. I have a second job which allows me to still put 10-15k/yr into investable assets. I also fix cars for cash on the side.

I don't buy new cars, I don't buy stuff I don't need. Even if I didn't have that great windfall on FAS I'd still have a significant net worth. For me it's delayed gratification. I still go to Vegas 3x a year and I have 1-2 other vacations a year. I choose wisely and work very hard to get where I'm at currently. I never went to school so I take advantage of the skills I do have.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:51 PM

816 posts, read 968,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Im the one you're referring to. I began working a real job in 2010 (meaning more than $8/hr). It was for PepsiCo in the warehouse making $17/hr. Id average 1,000 hours of overtime a year. Since it was more than I'd ever made before, and I was already an active investor, I began putting 33-50% of my pay into my 401k. I maxed my 401k the last 2 years of my employment there. In 2012 I rolled it in a Roth IRA after leaving employment there. This was the same year I moved out. I put 50% of my Roth into FAS and saw my investment triple in less than 18 months. I have a second job which allows me to still put 10-15k/yr into investable assets. I also fix cars for cash on the side.

I don't buy new cars, I don't buy stuff I don't need. Even if I didn't have that great windfall on FAS I'd still have a significant net worth. For me it's delayed gratification. I still go to Vegas 3x a year and I have 1-2 other vacations a year. I choose wisely and work very hard to get where I'm at currently. I never went to school so I take advantage of the skills I do have.
amazing stuff!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 PM

233 posts, read 191,204 times
Salary: $50k
Net Worth: $246,000 (88% Inheritance)

Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
amazing stuff!
It was until earlier this year when I thought oil had bottomed. That's a 20k mistake I'll never make again. Sticking with Wellington and my blue chips in the future.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
If you include some of your future earnings to your "net worth" as some of the posters have you are already there.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
even a burger flipper can earn a million bucks over a lifetime .

speaking of burger flippers where has freemkt been ? he has not posted his tales of woe in months .

Old 09-29-2015, 03:09 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,830,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even a burger flipper can earn a million bucks over a lifetime .

speaking of burger flippers where has freemkt been ? he has not posted his tales of woe in months .
Not a million bucks at $7.25 an hour lol

Old 09-29-2015, 04:02 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
it would take about 50 years to earn a million bucks but they could earn a million over their life time . don't forget inflation can shorten that time frame up by a lot as the min wage goes up .

from just the stand point of earning a million bucks we all pretty much can and will do it .

of course saving a million is another story .

Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
If you include some of your future earnings to your "net worth" as some of the posters have you are already there.

Whoever is doing that isn't calculating net worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance