Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
Ahh you found my post scoping out a foreclosure in Sterling park

How did I do it? I had 4 years not 5 months. I have never rented in my life, went straight from my parents home to my current home which I own.
So just 5-6 months ago you were looking at houses under 200k and instead bought something in the 950-1.1mm? Strange that's a high increase and you put 500k down?

If you just bought it in the last few months you'd have a pretty good idea what it's worth without zestimates

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 10-01-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 AM

654 posts, read 423,591 times
A total of 4 properties, that is the combined value. Apart from my first home, all my rentals were short sales/foreclosures. As to getting a loan, 2 years of tax returns, a 20% down payment with my parents as a co signer (I put down more than that) is all that was needed (currently serviced by USbank). 2 rentals purchased with cash, last rental purchased with a mortgage.

I do have a good idea on all the values, even though 3/4 were purchased more than a year ago. 1 of them in uninhabitable condition, the other just very poor condition.

If you have access to VA mls, this can all be confirmed .

So to recap, 4 properties and 2 mortgages.

Believe it or not..... I don't care . Maybe I just like pretending to be a landlord on city-data and bigger pockets?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
A total of 4 properties, that is the combined value. Apart from my first home, all my rentals were short sales/foreclosures. As to getting a loan, 2 years of tax returns, a 20% down payment with my parents as a co signer (I put down more than that) is all that was needed (currently serviced by USbank). 2 rentals purchased with cash, last rental purchased with a mortgage.

I do have a good idea on all the values, even though 3/4 were purchased more than a year ago. 1 of them in uninhabitable condition, the other just very poor condition.

Believe it or not..... I don't care . Maybe I just like pretending to be a landlord on city-data and bigger pockets?

Your story seems a bit fuzzy and it's based on your posts not anything else. So 5-6 months ago you owned 2-3 properties while living in an apartment and since then have purchased 1-2 more?

Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:

You own a home with a mortgage co-signed by your parents, own a bunch of income properties, yet you were renting an apartment just 5 months ago. Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
You own a home with a mortgage co-signed by your parents, own a bunch of income properties, yet you were renting an apartment just 5 months ago. Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.
you don't rent out all of your real estate and live in apartments? Perhaps you are the odd one, lol.

I also find it odd that 22003yo would care so much about the area of the 150k condo at night if they weren't indeed planning to live there.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:24 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Do you have specific examples of posters who you KNOW inflated their net worth using the tactics you described? There was a least 2 that I saw that were clearly satirical. The rest seemed reasonable.
Not going to call out a specific poster but we have had claims in this thread of intention to default on student loans so not adding that to liabilities and adding future earnings from an employment contract and social security to net worth. The posts were not satirical.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:46 PM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I'd like to know how the people here in their 20s and 30s report such high net worth in the mid-6 figures. I'm 32 and have a higher than average NW for my age but it's 80% due to inheritance... and quite frankly higher than it otherwise would be because the relative happened to die when her investments were at near all-time high points.

I don't really know that much about investing beyond basics, so my main focus is not losing it.

There was no way in hell I could possibly have a high NW on my own. It would get into the mid 6 figures eventually but due to expected raises and increases in home value, equity building.

How a young person could earn so much to build a multi-6 figure NW is incomprehensible to me. Very, very few of my peers make 100K plus unless they live in NYC, Bay Area or Seattle and in those cases their NW is proportional.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM

422 posts, read 412,180 times
LOL at believing the idiots ITT, statistics proves that 99% of these people are full of ****

Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM

581 posts, read 614,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd like to know how the people here in their 20s and 30s report such high net worth in the mid-6 figures. I'm 32 and have a higher than average NW for my age but it's 80% due to inheritance... and quite frankly higher than it otherwise would be because the relative happened to die when her investments were at near all-time high points.

I don't really know that much about investing beyond basics, so my main focus is not losing it.

There was no way in hell I could possibly have a high NW on my own. It would get into the mid 6 figures eventually but due to expected raises and increases in home value, equity building.
I can say from our perspective, a lot of our NW is tied up in the fact that we got lucky and got into a rapidly gentrifying "hot" neighborhood in Houston before it really started to boom.

That, plus maxing out our retirement options for the past 7-8yrs on two incomes. It also doesn't hurt that I get a fairly large 401k match from my employer...

Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
LOL at believing the idiots ITT, statistics proves that 99% of these people are full of ****
Statistics don't prove anything here, at least not any statistics you are referring to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance