Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times

Advertisements

My dad consciously planned to live a long life. When he retired at age 65, he had other things to do that required physical labor. He exercised and did not have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Fortunately, he remained in good health and lived to be 97. As it happens, my mother did have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and she also lived to age 97. So, the way I look at it, you pays your money and you takes your chances. LOL

I'm a saver and would be very unhappy with myself if I had no savings. I've never tried to keep up with anyone, but I've always been able to do whatever I choose to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,752 times
While I enjoy work to some extent, I do not want to do it for the rest of my life. We are working as hard as possible to retire early. I never want to have to rely on a job for income (only if I want to, not have to). My parents raised me well with finances, I have always been a saver, sometimes a bit extreme as some say but its what I like to do. My husband, his upbringing was a bit different and though always paid his bills he never saved. Thankfully after getting married he has really changed his thinking.

We have saved up a very good emergency fund and invested the rest. It amazes me how many adults nearing retirement age has little to no savings.. I understand some may be circumstances but not all. I know I sleep better at night having a savings and we never argue about money.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:53 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know of people that is in their 60's and have no savings and will have too work the rest of their life.

Short on savings? You're not alone.

Twenty-eight percent of Americans have nothing in their savings accounts and another 21 percent don't even have a savings account, according to a new survey from GOBankingRates.
49% of Americans Have Nothing Saved
Dude I swear I read stories like this all the time with a significant CHUNK of people with no savings at all, and people sh*t on me about my goal of saving $1 million for retirement at minimum.

They keep telling me that my $1 million won't be anything in 30 years and I will be sleeping on the street, but if that's the case, what in the hell are the 80% of the rest of the country going to be doing who didn't save at least the $1 million I target? That's what I want to know .

Because if I'm going to be sleeping on the street as they say with my little "$1 million saved", then damn, would the other 80% of the country just die off then? Because we can't ALL sleep on the damn street!

Maybe those with $1 million will have the luxury of sleeping on the street while everybody else (the other 80%) are dead because there's no where for them to go? So if that's the case, don't I still come out ahead of that other 80%, at least I will still be alive .

Old 10-08-2015, 05:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Dude I swear I read stories like this all the time with a significant CHUNK of people with no savings at all, and people sh*t on me about my goal of saving $1 million for retirement at minimum.

They keep telling me that my $1 million won't be anything in 30 years and I will be sleeping on the street, but if that's the case, what in the hell are the 80% of the rest of the country going to be doing who didn't save at least the $1 million I target? That's what I want to know .

Because if I'm going to be sleeping on the street as they say with my little "$1 million saved", then damn, would the other 80% of the country just die off then? Because we can't ALL sleep on the damn street!

Maybe those with $1 million will have the luxury of sleeping on the street while everybody else (the other 80%) are dead because there's no where for them to go? So if that's the case, don't I still come out ahead of that other 80%, at least I will still be alive .

They either die before retiring, work forever or live in or near poverty

Let these stats sink in

Quote:
Social Security is the major source of income for most of the elderly.

Nine out of ten individuals age 65 and older receive Social Security benefits.
Social Security benefits represent about 38% of the income of the elderly.
Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 52% of married couples and 74% of unmarried persons receive 50% or more of their income from Social Security.
Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 22% of married couples and about 47% of unmarried persons rely on Social Security for 90% or more of their income.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:07 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
you don't need much to survive . a tent in a camp ground in some areas are all you need . once we get above basic needs it is all about the lifestyle and the want list for retirement you have .

i always planned around a better retirement life then i did when working .

i have a whole bucket list of wants and things we want to do and see .

all those wants are what cost money and that budget can be endless as we are seeing now with so much time to do things daily. it all depends on what you hope to get out of retirement and where you are located .

Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
The article linked in the original post was one of the stupidest articles I have ever read. First, it didn't bother to define its terms. As poster jw2 pointed out on page two of this thread, the article spoke only about "savings accounts" and it is unclear whether that was meant to encompass 401(k) accounts or not. If not, and if it only meant traditional savings accounts at banks and credit unions, then the entire article is meaningless, because in the modern world most people's retirement assets are in 401(k) accounts.

Second, the article didn't bother to mention that people with zero or close to zero in "savings" can still have a secure retirement if they have a secure pension. Yes, I am aware that defined benefit pensions are much less common than 30 or 40 years ago, especially in the private sector, but they are by no means dead.

It is easy for me to believe that a disturbing number of Americans have too little savings, but this article did not make a credible case.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
Go ahead worker bee, work till you die. When I'm 60, I plan to be on the golf course.

Same here. Sipping whiskey and beginning the conversation "Back in my day we only had 120 TV channels..."

Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

Let these stats sink in
Quote:
Social Security is the major source of income for most of the elderly.

Nine out of ten individuals age 65 and older receive Social Security benefits.
Social Security benefits represent about 38% of the income of the elderly.
Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 52% of married couples and 74% of unmarried persons receive 50% or more of their income from Social Security.
Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 22% of married couples and about 47% of unmarried persons rely on Social Security for 90% or more of their income.
That is a very crappy way to express the data.

Given that 52% of married couples and 74% of unmarried retirees receive 50% or more of their income from Social Security, a relatively small number of very high income retirees totally skew the data. No different from any other income or wealth data that talks about "average".

I'm planning to defer collecting Social Security until age 70. I'll be collecting an inflation-protected $41,664. I'm 57. By the time I get to age 70, if we have average inflation (3.22% is the historical average), the numbers will be more like $63K. Even if we only have 2% inflation, in 13 years, my Social Security check would be $53K.

For a $1.5 million IRA balance, at age 71, the required minimum distribution is $56K. Unless there is a stock market miracle, my Social Security check is going to be bigger than my IRA/401(k) distribution.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That is a very crappy way to express the data.

Given that 52% of married couples and 74% of unmarried retirees receive 50% or more of their income from Social Security, a relatively small number of very high income retirees totally skew the data. No different from any other income or wealth data that talks about "average".

I'm planning to defer collecting Social Security until age 70. I'll be collecting an inflation-protected $41,664. I'm 57. By the time I get to age 70, if we have average inflation (3.22% is the historical average), the numbers will be more like $63K. Even if we only have 2% inflation, in 13 years, my Social Security check would be $53K.

For a $1.5 million IRA balance, at age 71, the required minimum distribution is $56K. Unless there is a stock market miracle, my Social Security check is going to be bigger than my IRA/401(k) distribution.

Well you go dig up the data to tell me how many people wait until 70 to collect, otherwise your personal data is just that and pretty worthless for a broad based discussion. Average persons or incomes aren't discussed in those stats

Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well you go dig up the data to tell me how many people wait until 70 to collect, otherwise your personal data is just that and pretty worthless for a broad based discussion. Average persons or incomes aren't discussed in those stats
Nice. You must have a lot of friends with that demeanor.

It's less than 5%.

My point is that if you can delay collecting until age 70, you'd need an enormous portfolio to have a larger retirement portfolio distribution than Social Security check. The inflation protection feature of Social Security is a huge win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance