Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:33 PM

260 posts, read 235,213 times

Advertisements

This is being touched on in a current thread but i don't want to highjack that.

I consider myself a fiscally conservative person and before I take an important personal step I should appreciate comments and insights.I shall ultimately consult my financial planner also but I want to evaluate what I need to think about first.

My situation: I am divorced,recently retired, own my home, have no debts and have a portfolio that should provide comfortably but not profligately.

My assets are fairly comparable to those of my SO although he earns a significant income and plans to work for a few more years. My retirement portfolio is twice his because of his divorce settlement. He has alimony to pay for at least three years. He has no debts but a mortgage in both his ex's and his name. Ex has to pay the mortgage from the alimony of $5000 a month. If she sells the equity will be shared.We have seven children between us and two of his children refuse to have contact with me

My questions is what would be the advantages or disadvantages for either marriage or continuing cohabitation? I am thinking only of economic factors currently; I appreciate that many would not cohabit without marriage on religious grounds. I also think this may sounds rather cold and unromantic but for the purpose of this post , I am thinking of economic planning only.

If I cohabit what financial protection might we expect from each other? What are the advantages of marriage? less tax?
My instinct is marriage but I want to think it through.

I am nervous about making a stupid financial oversight from which I could not recover at my age.. I trust the sound judgement and experience of many posters here. Please have my back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,561,329 times
You need to see an attorney before considering marriage. No one here can you adequate advice.
If you marry, at a minimum you should have a solid pre-nup and a strong will/trust/beneficiary plan with your intents clearly spelled out. Based upon the information you gave, there are other considerations too, especially your house and the one he owns with his ex.
Make sure you know what will happen if you marry and then predecease him. Your assets could pass to him, then if he dies soon after they could pass to his children, including the two who don't speak to you. Or if he remarries again and then dies, your assets could go to wife #3.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:16 PM

496 posts, read 413,286 times
Exactly what biscuitmom said. Personally, I would just continue to cohabitate.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 PM

658 posts, read 2,009,886 times
Yes, what the posters above me said.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,092,523 times
Lawyer, most definitely!

If you are planning on co-mingling money there will be huge inheritance issues because of all those children! Seven people will never agree on anything. Even if all of them are reasonable individuals. Next, what if he becomes disabled? Do you want to pay his alimony? 5K a MONTH...OMG!

I think the lawyer is going to advise you to just live together!

Old 07-04-2016, 02:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,799,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You need to see an attorney before considering marriage. No one here can you adequate advice.
If you marry, at a minimum you should have a solid pre-nup and a strong will/trust/beneficiary plan with your intents clearly spelled out. Based upon the information you gave, there are other considerations too, especially your house and the one he owns with his ex.
Make sure you know what will happen if you marry and then predecease him. Your assets could pass to him, then if he dies soon after they could pass to his children, including the two who don't speak to you. Or if he remarries again and then dies, your assets could go to wife #3.
All of the above, to begin with. Excellent point made here. Your situation is very complex. Also find out what will happen to his pension and/or Social Security when he retires or dies. In some states (maybe all - I'm no expert) the ex can be entitled to a substantial percentage of these benefits which could impact your allocation should he predecease you. Additionally, I have a friend who just found out that her husband's pension has no right of survivorship due to a clause specific to a partnership agreement in his law firm made many, many years ago. It is airtight and she was blindsided. She is going through a major adjustment in her long-term planning as he is not well and the future is looming. So check out all the fine print with your attorney.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,264,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This. And you need to decide who makes decisions if you become disabled: does he, or does a family member. This needs to legally set up, especially if you marry.

Every state is different. Some are community property states, and whether that is the case where you live has bearing on this issue as well.

I'd see an attorney by myself first. You need to know what your rights would be as spouse vs cohabitant.

With the accumulation of an estate comes the responsibility to manage it well; that's why you need to have legal safeguards and knowledge of how to do that, which you get when you use an attorney.

Depending on the skills of the attorney, you might want to get some advice about taxes, as well.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,938,236 times
Another vote for getting advice from a lawyer first.

One of my friends is in a similar situation, except that she already got married. She was a widow and the new husband was a widower, and they found out that they had to be single at a certain age to get social security from their deceased spouses, so they very quietly divorced, claimed the social security, and then remarried. She was embarrassed about getting divorced and married again but it made good financial sense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with cohabitation instead of marriage if it's better for you financially. Some older folks will have a commitment ceremony rather than a legal marriage because they want to make vows but do not want the legal entanglements that a marriage will involve.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,380,841 times
I'm another in "talk to an attorney first" camp.

The worst case is your spouse lands in a nursing home for a couple of years and Medicaid/your state confiscates your assets to pay the nursing home bill. An experienced attorney can probably structure things so you can protect your assets.

Here's the Medicaid page about spousal impoverishment. It has a link to the 2016 schedule. In 2016, you can only protect $119,220 of your assets. Some states may protect more.
https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-ch...ment-page.html

In 2016, there's no particularly compelling societal/moral issue to get married most places in the country. You have to sit down and do the math to see whether it's to your economic advantage to marry.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,222,276 times
I have 3 sets of friends who are in similar positions. All 3 couples saw attorneys and financial planners and decided not to marry.Two of the women saw attorneys separate from those of their SO. Then they sat their children down and explained everything to them so they (and grandchildren) would understand that it was not a lack of love or commitment but a practical outlook which kept them from getting married. One couple is in their late 70s and the other two are in their early 70s.
Personally, I would not get married but some register as domestic partners depending on the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance