Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 856,387 times

Advertisements

I choose to live with my girlfriend. We plan on getting married and some of our friends and family don't like the idea of people living together before marriage.

Is it better to live together or not to live together? I've known several people who lived together before marrying and they happy happy marriages. I have also known multiple couples who waited till they tied the knot to move in together and their marriage failed.

Save the religious rhetoric. I see no rational reason to wait until marriage to move in with a spouse.

But I could be wrong. I waited until marriage to move in with my ex-wife, and we ended in divorce.

SO my question is?

Do you live together first?

Or Wait until marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM

24 posts, read 20,823 times
Shouldn't this go in the relationship forum?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
I choose to live with my girlfriend. We plan on getting married and some of our friends and family don't like the idea of people living together before marriage.

Is it better to live together or not to live together? I've known several people who lived together before marrying and they happy happy marriages. I have also known multiple couples who waited till they tied the knot to move in together and their marriage failed.

Save the religious rhetoric. I see no rational reason to wait until marriage to move in with a spouse.

But I could be wrong. I waited until marriage to move in with my ex-wife, and we ended in divorce.

SO my question is?

Or Wait until marriage?
How old are you? 12? Don't worry about what other people do or think or believe about this. Do what the two of YOU want to do.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
I say live with them first!!!! My brothers did and therefore no surprises. My aunt did and a friend. If you can handle it then it's worth moving on with that person.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
universally good?
that might be going too far.

Almost universally... it will be better to have that understanding of this other evolved and self sufficient adult before making permanent and legal commitment beyond an apt lease.

Oh? they aren't evolved and self sufficient adults?
Then they shouldn't be getting married.

hth

Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM

24 posts, read 20,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post

SO my question is?

Or Wait until marriage?
Here's an idea: Don't get married! That way when it goes bad, you can end that with a moving van, not lawyers, filing fees and a moving van.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,271 times
I think cohabitation is great. My husband and I lived together as soon as we got engaged. If things would have soured, it was easier to call off a wedding than filing for divorce.

Both of us are Roman Catholics, so while my grandparents were against it, they had no say in it. I know some friends who didnt live together until after their honeymoon and their marriages didnt fare so well.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
I lived with my SO for 6 years before we married...and that was 37 years ago...still going strong...I think it's a much better way of going about it simply for the fact that it gives you some time to see if you're compatible or not...before you go spend money and time on a wedding.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM

530 posts, read 779,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I say live with them first!!!! My brothers did and therefore no surprises. My aunt did and a friend. If you can handle it then it's worth moving on with that person.
Well now(hey now), let's us look at some statictics, shall we??

More than 8 out of 10 couples who live together will break up either before the wedding or afterwards in diivorce.

About 45% of those who begin cohabiting, do not marry.

Couples who do marry after living together are 50% more likely to divorce than those who did not.

Only 12% of couples who have begun their relationship with cohabitation end up with a marriage lasting 10 or more years.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
it weakened and discourages the bonding needed for permanent marriage contracts. stats available supporting this statement.
however dont ask me my opinion of marriage--- it is not very positive either. i think marriage is in big trouble. the marital industrial complex has about run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships