Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times

Advertisements

If you and your partner are happy and content, and feel loved and respected, it is an easy answer.

But what if you are not all of those all the time? How do you measure if your marriage is good enough? do you have friends who have good marriages that you model after or measure against? Parents? Siblings? what is a good enough relationship that is worth preserving when the alternative, divorce, seems painful all around - to you, your partner, your kids? and i don't include affairs as an antidote.

I have one sibling who is divorced and happy, although her kids had a rough time. My other sibling I believe has a great marriage - they had some very rough patches but they have somehow worked it out and are now retired and look content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
You just know I guess. Marriage isn`t going to be "happy fun time" all the time. I mean, there is responsibility and bills that come with the package deal, but you work together, and everyone is happy!!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,629 times
I don't know. Even when we haven't getting on well, I still knew I loved him and didn't want him to go and I didn't want to go.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,913 times
Default Learning from my closest examples...

I like your question. How I know I have a good marriage is that I compare it to my parents' and my grandparents' marriages. Yep, I know I got a good one! Divorces are extremely rare in my family (thank God!) so I have seen marriages last and last. Seeing those marriages in my family teaches me that not everything is rosy but true love is stronger than all the petty issues that come up in relationships. Both sets of grandparents seem to be made for each other. Awww... One side was together 50 years and the other 64 years. My parents have been together for as long as I've been alive and they will very likely follow in their parents' footsteps. With my parents though...well, let's just say I don't look to them as the perfect marriage, but they do teach me by the way they live.

The way I've come to understand that my husband is a great partner in marriage is that by now (after five years married) he feels like my true family, like I've known him all my life, as if he could have been a brother! OK that might sound disgusting but really sometimes I have memories from years ago, and I get mixed up remembering if I did them with my sister or with my husband. To me that is a sign that we love each other in the various ways that it takes to make a marriage last.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times
We are happy most of the time and want to make life easier for our mate. We agree on most things, but when we don't there is no big argument, we simply agree to disagree and let it go at that. We laugh a lot, sometimes at each other, sometimes at ourselves, sometimes at someone else. I respect her honestly, and she respects mine. We agreed early in our relationship there would be no secrets between us, and nothing but truthfulness. She is my very best friend.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,700 times
Yes happiness and love make a marriage enjoyable. You need to have respect for one another and you need to be friends. When you don't have those two things it's not good.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I like your question. How I know I have a good marriage is that I compare it to my parents' and my grandparents' marriages. Yep, I know I got a good one! Divorces are extremely rare in my family (thank God!) so I have seen marriages last and last. Seeing those marriages in my family teaches me that not everything is rosy but true love is stronger than all the petty issues that come up in relationships. Both sets of grandparents seem to be made for each other. Awww... One side was together 50 years and the other 64 years. My parents have been together for as long as I've been alive and they will very likely follow in their parents' footsteps. With my parents though...well, let's just say I don't look to them as the perfect marriage, but they do teach me by the way they live.

The way I've come to understand that my husband is a great partner in marriage is that by now (after five years married) he feels like my true family, like I've known him all my life, as if he could have been a brother! OK that might sound disgusting but really sometimes I have memories from years ago, and I get mixed up remembering if I did them with my sister or with my husband. To me that is a sign that we love each other in the various ways that it takes to make a marriage last.
Your story is a great example for all!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
How much laughter there is an a relationship is a good indicator of relationship health. The more couples laugh together, the more satisfaction. But, people base good relationships on the externals a lot. When that happens, they get a jaded or distorted perception of relationship happiness.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I don't know. Even when we haven't getting on well, I still knew I loved him and didn't want him to go and I didn't want to go.
Yes. But is it love or habit? Even if it is habit, what's wrong with it if it cannot be distinguished from love?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Her: "We have such a good marriage."
Me: "Yes, dear."

That's how I know - she told me.

(J/k, by the way. I can tell that it is without being told.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships