Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 PM

23 posts, read 40,242 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here cohabitated after a divorce?

My wife informed me that she doesn't want to be married anymore. She is in school full time at the moment, until September. I'm commited to her finishing school, because I do still love her and it is better for the kids if she finishes.

We are past the date to terminate our lease, so we have the house for another year.

I don't see any reason why the divorce won't be amicable, she's just not in love anymore.

Anyone with relevant experience have any thoughts/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 PM

530 posts, read 779,995 times
Don't have any relevant experience, just a few thoughts on your situation.

It certainly could give your kids false hope, and it may give YOU false hope also thinking there is still a chance you will get back together.

And if your soon to be ex wants to go out on a date, that won't hurt you? Also, there's a possibility she may use you, knowing you really don't want a divorce.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 PM

The kids don't know yet. They won't know until much closer until it is time to move.

I have no false hope. She made it clear and I respect her need to be happy.

There isn't anything she could use me for. I've been the bread winner for the majority of our relationship and I'm ok with that until she finishes school and is employed. At that point we will separate our finances.

If she wants to date, that's ok. We will be divorced, after all.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s34f00d View Post
The kids don't know yet. They won't know until much closer until it is time to move.

I have no false hope. She made it clear and I respect her need to be happy.

There isn't anything she could use me for. I've been the bread winner for the majority of our relationship and I'm ok with that until she finishes school and is employed. At that point we will separate our finances.

If she wants to date, that's ok. We will be divorced, after all.
Falling in love is just a chemical reaction in your brain. She does realize that it doesn't last forever right?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Falling in love is just a chemical reaction in your brain. She does realize that it doesn't last forever right?
The chemical reaction is still going in my brain, but I can't speak for her.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Certainly there has been more of this going on with the economy. Both of you sound mature about it. Though it can be worth it to seek counseling and try to "fix" things. Of course, you got to want to do that first.

Good Luck to both of you and your children. Use whatever comes your way to improve who you are.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:

Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That doesn't mean she is using me. It means I am pragmatic about the situation and the future well being of my children.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
IMO one of you needs to move out and establish your own residency. The sooner the better for all involved. Confusion for the children if she is dating and such.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Has anyone here cohabitated after a divorce?

My wife informed me that she doesn't want to be married anymore. She is in school full time at the moment, until September. I'm commited to her finishing school, because I do still love her and it is better for the kids if she finishes.

We are past the date to terminate our lease, so we have the house for another year.

I don't see any reason why the divorce won't be amicable, she's just not in love anymore.

Anyone with relevant experience have any thoughts/suggestions?

I know a couple who did this successfully.

It was purely a financial decision and they had a set date of when it would come to an end, which I think was key.

They agreed not to bring any new folks or dates around the old homefront and kept up a good attitude with one another for their kids.

At the end of the time frame they had established, their financial house was in better order and he moved out to his own place.

In addition, I think it served as a good transitioning period for their kids. Dad and mom weren't sharing a bedroom or spending any lovey dovey time together and the kids gradually came to see that although they were not a couple any more, they were still their parents - which gave the kids the comfort and stability that matters most to kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships