Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,906,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Now how do I accomplish this as a single man who wants to date since we know dating is costly.?
If you stick with your budget, you will get higher quality women. I've never spent an arm and a leg on a date. Once they realize you control your finances well, that is a big bonus. Women don't want to be with a guy who is drowning in debt or can't save for the future. Get your finances in order and that will be a plus for your dating life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM

850 posts, read 903,419 times
Quote:
I actually considered not dating until 2018 so I could erase my debt and raise my savings. The thing I don't like about daring is as the man I'm expected to pay for dinner when she can be seeing several different men.
This. It is hard for guys to save money when they are dating or stay out of debt. When I was dating my ex my credit cards were nearly maxed out and my credit score was falling. When we broke up it took me 6 months to pay off my credit card debt and for my credit score to rebound.

Since I haven't been dating for about 9 months and I manage to save 30-40% of my take home pay every month. I really wish I could find a lady that doesn't mind having a picnic by the lake, going to the park, having a home cooked meal at the house without being called a cheapskate.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
This. It is hard for guys to save money when they are dating or stay out of debt. When I was dating my ex my credit cards were nearly maxed out and my credit score was falling. When we broke up it took me 6 months to pay off my credit card debt and for my credit score to rebound.

Since I haven't been dating for about 9 months and I manage to save 30-40% of my take home pay every month. I really wish I could find a lady that doesn't mind having a picnic by the lake, going to the park, having a home cooked meal at the house without being called a cheapskate.
What I don't like is the beginning, when you first meet a girl and expected to pay without knowing if she is getting that same treatment from other men.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is always the city bus , ask the bus driver to dim the lights for your date

There is a hilarious Selective Service commercial where a young male dork phones a female dork for a movie date. She asks when he will pick her up...we cannot hear his side of the conversation, then she says, WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN TAKE THE BUS???

(He can't get a license to drive because he failed to register with SSS.)

I'd post a link but cannot find it online.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 PM

264 posts, read 250,852 times
Quote:
What I don't like is the beginning, when you first meet a girl and expected to pay without knowing if she is getting that same treatment from other men.
Woman here. I always offer to split the bill on the first few dates. Beyond that would be fine if he shared that he was trying to be frugal. I'd rather be dating someone who prefers I pay for myself than someone with poor money management skills.

Can't speak for all women though...I once had a friend who kept track of how many "free dinners" she got via Tinder.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,392,087 times
Even thirty years ago, I always paid for my share of the first few dates. Sheesh!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Even thirty years ago, I always paid for my share of the first few dates. Sheesh!
My experience involved the woman paying on the 3rd date.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,696,000 times
Absolutely need to write out a budget and follow it, helps so much! We are late 20s now but understand what you mean when we first started out in our early 20s. The two things that helped the most were to earn more money(doing side jobs ect) and follow a tight budget which excellerated our savings early on. Made a world of difference for us now.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Absolutely need to write out a budget and follow it, helps so much! We are late 20s now but understand what you mean when we first started out in our early 20s. The two things that helped the most were to earn more money(doing side jobs ect) and follow a tight budget which excellerated our savings early on. Made a world of difference for us now.
what kind of advice is that to tell someone when it comes to saving money? Making more money is the obvious answer but until that happens then you have to do it with your current financial situation.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:48 PM

473 posts, read 503,347 times
With popularity of dinners out and entertainment at any kind of price, is VERY easy to understand how you can go broke without even hitting bars. A homebody can have his/her own roof over their head especially if you TRY to hit the free events and stick to strict limit on how often you eat out and how much you pay for concerts/theater/shopping.

Is very easy step to take to avoid 'recreational shopping' and not even go look without a list. Also helps to just shop monthly for toiletries/paper/pets stuff and never go back into store all month long. Some try to handle grocery shopping in this manner too but does cut down on health of food you can prepare in my opinion. Minimalism helps more as no need for multiple sheets, different looks for the house by season, tons of decorator projects.....Just become a slave to the stuff and the bill, causes more worry and stress sometimes just to deal with it. Helps to take leftovers for lunch, keeps wallet fat and you thinner.

Making list of inexpensive entertainment is great help for homebodies: cheap reads, online TV, hulu or amazon membership/Redbox/Netflix, TV antenna, hiking, biking, walks with dog, swimming at pool, city aerobics classes or yoga, kid ball games, kid theater/vocals at school, crafts with ebay tools, blogging, yard work, cooking....

Paying myself first every time when I got paid took care of me later as I suffered some health problems and I was released from my employment without unemployment check or sick leave. I never had a worry as I had enough emergency fund and eventually retirement accounts to be okay until I found another employer. This has been REALLY common story locally for lots of women and sadly some employers who just mistreat people so PURPLE PARACHUTE is your own investment in your ability to self support alone. In a couple of situations over the years, I wanted to leave an employment situation so bad it would get me in trouble as the responsible party in a place that was life/death situation too short on staff. It really is your investment in your own survival to have emergency fund and retirement accounts so you can walk away or change careers over our lifetime. All the dinners out and concerts will not make up for this freedom in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance