Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:09 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times

Advertisements

it's all location based. Same everywhere in the world.

Country sides are cheaper than cities - cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Upper class isn’t income defined. I could have 100mm in assets and relatively no income and be upper class.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I've written this before, but in America, the issue of class is peculiar in its emphasis on income alone. I believe socioeconomic class is a three-legged stool of power, prestige, and property, which is why discussions of whether or not the owner of a plumbing company and a trust funder with the same annual income are of the same class so interesting but next-to-impossible to resolve. We're ignoring the other two legs of the stool.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
I believe socioeconomic class is a three-legged stool of power, prestige, and property, which is why discussions of whether or not the owner of a plumbing company and a trust funder with the same annual income are of the same class so interesting but next-to-impossible to resolve.
I get the point you are trying to make, but again, this is a temporal observation. People who own plumbing companies can and do run for office (gain power), purchase property, and from those two, gain plenty of prestige. We've had celebrity Presidents for gods sake, and plenty of D-list TV reality stars and hack pro athletes have become national legislators, which is just predicated on having money.

If the gatekeepers to class & prestige were as strong as some would like to think they are, that wouldn't be happening. They aren't; the only ticket is money, a little bit of time, and not being absolutely stupid.

It's like that Chris Rock bit about the distinction between rich and wealthy: well those guys that used to be just 'rich' OWN TEAMS NOW.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I get the point you are trying to make, but again, this is a temporal observation. People who own plumbing companies can and do run for office (gain power), purchase property, and from those two, gain plenty of prestige. We've had celebrity Presidents for gods sake, and plenty of D-list TV reality stars and hack pro athletes have become national legislators, which is just predicated on having money.

If the gatekeepers to class & prestige were as strong as some would like to think they are, that wouldn't be happening. They aren't; the only ticket is money, a little bit of time, and not being absolutely stupid.

It's like that Chris Rock bit about the distinction between rich and wealthy: well those guys that used to be just 'rich' OWN TEAMS NOW.
What I'm trying to get across is that in America there is an unusual emphasis on income as the definer of social class over the corollary characteristics of prestige and power. It's a running theme in financial forums all over the internet: what is my material worth and how does it compare to others?

Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What I'm trying to get across is that in America there is an unusual emphasis on income as the definer of social class over the corollary characteristics of prestige and power. It's a running theme in financial forums all over the internet: what is my material worth and how does it compare to others?
Because that's the first leg of upperclass for those not in it. You can't establish prestige and power without monetary wealth, without the first one you are just subject to the genetic lottery.At least to a certain extent income and wealth is within your own power.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Because that's the first leg of upperclass for those not in it. You can't establish prestige and power without monetary wealth, without the first one you are just subject to the genetic lottery.At least to a certain extent income and wealth is within your own power.
It is the first step and that's a reflection of America as a land of opportunity. In other parts of the world, having money is not an entrance to the upper class. It simply makes you wealthy.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:38 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
So what class is the Pope in if he has no personal wealth?

If he retires with a 'pension' of about $3300 /mo does he sink to the level of retiree on a fixed income?

What about a drug dealer or madame who rakes in half a million -or more - a year?

Or a toothless HS dropout who struck it rich in the lottery?

This can get weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance