Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,541,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This. Upper-class means being able to, if you so chose, live the lifestyle of the middle class without either working or eating into inflation-adjusted assets.

More concretely and assuming a ~3% safe draw-down rate (in a combination of cash and imputed rent), this means a minimum of about $2 million dollars * sqrt(family size), give or take.

I find it fascinating that Americans claim a strong work ethic while affording its highest class labels to those who have the least need to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,258,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I have lived by myself for a couple years. My idea of these classes would be something like this:

Lower class: $45,000 or lower

Middle class: $45,000 - $75,000
Upper Middle: $75,000 - $100,000

Upper Class: $100,000+

This is sort of my Pacific Northwest standard. For folks in California or New York, it's probably a bit different. And for folks in lower COL areas, it may also be somewhat different.
Where the heck did you get that $100k is upper class? $100k is still middle class. We make twice that and are nowhere near upper class.

Closer to $400k is upper class. At $100k you've not even made it to upper middle class yet.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:21 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,078,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Bill Gates isn't just merely "upper class", he's part of a very small group of elite ruling class that (literally) owns this country.
Agreed. I'd go a step further and say he's a frontman for even richer and more powerful people whose names are never seen or heard in the mainstream media.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:40 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Where the heck did you get that $100k is upper class? $100k is still middle class. We make twice that and are nowhere near upper class.

Closer to $400k is upper class. At $100k you've not even made it to upper middle class yet.
if all we had was 100k pretax to live on a year we would not have retired ,forget about living the high life here in ny . i would need to have little enough income that the 22k a year we spent on health insurance and long term care insurance with no employer subsidy in after tax dollars would be paid for by the tax payers .

after rent , taxes and insurance that eats up more than 1/2 the income . that certainly is not even a middle class lifestyle here without it being a struggle and watching every expense. .

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-23-2017 at 02:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And then you run out of wood and you're in the Harlem River. I like Inwood, what's not to like about Inwood?
a lot , if you are interested in living in manhattan . it is not a desirable area . i know i would certainly choose a borough to live in over inwood .

Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

I would say for people still working and/or have not accumulated enough wealth to simply live off their investments (a little nebulous...you could technically be living in an RV camper down by the river and be "living off your investments" but most people would not consider that an "upper class" existence), breaking into the top 1% of all wage earners would be the threshold for upper class. That number changes all the time but it is somewhere in the $400-450k/yr right now so that was a pretty good guess. The threshold between upper class and classes above that are harder to pin down because they apply to so few people and you get into really bizarre economics that just don't apply to normal people. I would say if you're wealthy enough to be on the Forbes 400 list that you're comfortably in the elite ruling class. To make that list you have to have a net worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5B. Obviously there's a lot of space between that and somebody making $450,000 a year.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,635,815 times
Quote:
Consider Bill Gates. He's definitely upper class.
Bill Gates was not raised upper class. He grew up knowing he was going to have to work for a living, attended public schools, etc. What was Melinda's upbringing? That will contribute to the mindset of their children.

In my view upper class is a set of values and approach to life as much as income and wealth.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:52 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,399,872 times
Upper Class is a measurement of wealth, not income. The way I'd define it, Upper Class means you have accrued enough wealth to live an upper middle class lifestyle without needing to work.

If your financial world ends abruptly if you get fired from your $250K job, you're not upper class. You're upper middle class with a savings rate problem.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,975,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This. Upper-class means being able to, if you so chose, live the lifestyle of the middle class without either working or eating into inflation-adjusted assets.

More concretely and assuming a ~3% safe draw-down rate (in a combination of cash and imputed rent), this means a minimum of about $2 million dollars * sqrt(family size), give or take.
I think this is part of the definition of upper class in terms of income. I'm referring to individual income only since that is what the thread asked. More specifically, anyone who in a normal COL area makeing at least $100K in passive income can technically be considered upper class since he is literally doing nothing to earn an income that puts him in the top 8% of income earners.

The other definition would would be anyone who works and makes $250K or more. As per the latest data released by the SSA, $250K puts you in the 1% in terms of individual income. If you do not fit either of the above you are not part of the upper class. If we throw in net worth, then the answer becomes even more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I find it fascinating that Americans claim a strong work ethic while affording its highest class labels to those who have the least need to work.
How is that "fascinating?" There is only a small minority of people who have high passive income from an inheritance/trust fund or something involving luck like the lottery. Everyone else who is at that level worked very hard to get to a point where they barely have to work. So I fail to see the point you are trying to make.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 AM

8,465 posts, read 7,480,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Bill Gates isn't just merely "upper class", he's part of a very small group of elite ruling class that (literally) owns this country.
I picked Bill Gates as the easy example. If I had mentioned as an example of an upper class person as someone I know personally who worked his butt off, got to $30 million in net worth by the time he was 50, and then dropped out of earning a paycheck to go play on his own ranch in Montana, living quite well off his investment income, how many would call shenanigans on me?

I still stand by my point - the upper class is defined by wealth, not income.

Why else did someone coin the term 'wage slave'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance