Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Oh come on.

You think you set the standards for the whole world? Count your blessing rather than gloat and compare yourself to people who weren't even born in the ball park let alone on home plate.
Amen to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This thread hurts my heart.

If you really wonder why people in the US struggle, despite the OP's obvious success and Flashes1's success, I'd recommend reading "Hand to Mouth" by Linda Tirado.

Personally, I live comfortably but completely understand there are people in the US who try as hard as they can and they're still struggling. I get it. This thread just seems kind of mean-spirited.
And you have one poster who said he have little sympathy for the poor. I guess as long as I have mine, the rest can beat it. I guess that poster is not spiritual at all, Jesus himself said we will always have the poor among you. Not everyone is poor by choice, and not everyone have what it takes and the support system to dig themselves out. I have no problem helping and reaching out to people less fortunate than myself.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
By "people" OP means himself.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

MY question is, how do people making $15K per year NOT be broke?
city shelter ?

actually depending on location and what they qualify for some can do as well as others making many times that , especially if they have kids . this is an old list and today many of these things are much improved for the lowest incomes .

Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was running some reports, I am a numbers guy and have every single expense dating back to 2006 recorded in Quicken But it's astonishing how much I have spent... here are some gems:

Average monthly over the last 65 months:

Eating out - $602
Groceries - $156
Vacations - $658
Rent - $1176
Motorcycles - $354
Fuel - $130
Entertainment - $56
Autos (including fuel, service etc.) - $347

Total average monthly expenditure - $3,918
Total average monthly net income - $6,672
Average savings rate: 41%

I still managed to save 41% of my income monthly which I think is OK, but could've done better. I think my expenditures are crazy, $750/mo. on Food? WTF? That is insane. I just eat out too much and spend a lot on alcohol (2-3 beers/day add up)

So, my case in point - I think I spend quite a bit but I still have a good buffer and no debt... I know people don't spend as much eating out, never take any vacations and have no hobbies, are DUAL income and yet are living paycheck to paycheck. What are they doing with their money?
Seriously?

You must not have kids. My wife and I have a combined HHI about three times that. But we also have two kids in college and a third in grad school (We're lucky because she has a full ride scholarship, a paid teaching assistant position, and a couple of side jobs. We're literally sending her $200 a month. How's THAT for bragging?). We joke that if we didn't have kids, we'd be anchored off Fiji in our nice boat at this moment.

BUT, amassing money is easy when you have a decent job, don't have dependents, and when you don't have to pony up for their school, their food, clothing, entertainment, braces, transportation, and a host of other things. Further, you don't have a house to maintain, property taxes to pay, tuition, the whole ball of wax. So you're leaving a lot out of the equation.

Yes, my kids all have jobs and no, we don't spend money like pimps with a week to live. We put money back every month and have accumulated a nice nest egg. But I sure as hell wouldn't slam someone who wasn't able to save the way we have. There are people who face job loss, health issues, aging parents, and a host of unforeseeable problems that tax their ability to save. You're obviously young, because you seem to have no idea what life can throw at you when you least expect it.

In other words, quit bragging online and critiquing others when you have about the cushiest life imaginable. It's one thing to discuss personal finance. But yapping on about your own money while taking others to task is indulging in short man's disease.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-25-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was running some reports, I am a numbers guy and have every single expense dating back to 2006 recorded in Quicken But it's astonishing how much I have spent... here are some gems:

Average monthly over the last 65 months:

Eating out - $602
Groceries - $156
Vacations - $658
Rent - $1176
Motorcycles - $354
Fuel - $130
Entertainment - $56
Autos (including fuel, service etc.) - $347

Total average monthly expenditure - $3,918
Total average monthly net income - $6,672
Average savings rate: 41%

I still managed to save 41% of my income monthly which I think is OK, but could've done better. I think my expenditures are crazy, $750/mo. on Food? WTF? That is insane. I just eat out too much and spend a lot on alcohol (2-3 beers/day add up)

So, my case in point - I think I spend quite a bit but I still have a good buffer and no debt... I know people don't spend as much eating out, never take any vacations and have no hobbies, are DUAL income and yet are living paycheck to paycheck. What are they doing with their money?
People blow their money in stupid crap

Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM

902 posts, read 863,704 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

It looks like those people making only $15k per year got into the wrong line during Caereer Day. They will need a second or third job if they want to increase their standard of living. It's really not that bad. I work a second job and I make well over minimum wage. It's much more productive than sitting on city-data all day long complaining about how I don't have enough money and how unfair life is.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM

And be careful how you boast and brag, and putting other people down. Life can throw you a curve ball, where you can lose everything you have. A serious illness, or car accident can strike you down, your job closes down, a freak accident of some sort. I mean anything can happen that you don't see on your radar at the moment.

There is an old saying, be careful how you treat people on your way up, because they will be the same people you meet on your way down. And of all things, be humble and grateful for what you have. You can't take anything with you when you die, and it will all be left for somebody else anyway.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
It looks like those people making only $15k per year got into the wrong line during Caereer Day. They will need a second or third job if they want to increase their standard of living. It's really not that bad. I work a second job and I make well over minimum wage. It's much more productive than sitting on city-data all day long complaining about how I don't have enough money and how unfair life is.
Well, the percentage of full-time workers 25+ making minimum wage is so tiny, that it borders on non-existent. And the bulk of those are people who work for gratuities such as waitstaff.

My first job out of college paid below poverty level, but the economy was terrible at the time and it was the only thing I could find. So, as you pointed out, I got a second job and managed to put back some money every month. But I'm not so cavalier as to say, "Hey, if it's that bad, just work more hours." Some people simply cannot due to dependents, age, infirmity, and other issues.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:

I have never made more than $30k a year. Most of my 20's I topped out at $15-$20k. I have told you several times how I have acquired what I have. You do not listen. The first trick is to believe in yourself, spend wisely, take a risk and move towards your goals. That requires a little ambition or at least the sense to get out of your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance